ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

USA -> UK -> USA

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rajan_j2009
Newly Registered

USA -> UK -> USA

Post by rajan_j2009 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi Guys,
Currently working in USA on H1-B (visa is valid for another three years) .I'm looking to work in UK for sometime under HSMP. What will be my status of H1-B if I come back again to usa after 2 years .
Is it possible to carry on with GC processing while staying outside.
Thanks,
Rajan

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi Rajan,

I'm pretty sure you would have to start your GC application again if you leave the US and come back two years later, but you may want to consult an immigration lawyer about the length of time you can be absent without having to start a new application for PR. You can either apply for a new H1 visa from the UK later, or stay on in the US until you get a GC, then leave with a reentry permit. However don't forget that even with a reentry permit there is no guarantee that you'll be readmitted.

Denebolina
Newly Registered

Post by Denebolina » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:38 pm

Hi Rajan,

who would you work for in the UK?

*If you transfer to the UK with your current company you can maintain your GC process in the US (though Marco is right, you should consult with a lawyer and make sure your company knows what you are doing)

*If you change jobs, then you will have to start the process all over again when you come back to the US. Also, keep in mind that the time you have already spent on H1-B will effect the time you will have on H1 when you return.

Also, other aspects that will effect your GC app are:
- How far along are you with the GC process?
- What employment category do you fall in?