ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent visa since 1980

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

greenolive
Newly Registered

Permanent visa since 1980

Post by greenolive » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:13 pm

(this is a question on behalf of a friend).

Hi I'v got my indefinite leave visa on 1980 and married to a British partner. Iv got children and they are British. I decide to apply for British passport. Just want to know how should I start? do I have to apply like new ILR people who apply for Naturalization? do I have to go for English exam? please advise.

boloney

Re: Permanent visa since 1980

Post by boloney » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:21 pm

greenolive wrote:(this is a question on behalf of a friend).

Hi I'v got my indefinite leave visa on 1980 and married to a British partner. Iv got children and they are British. I decide to apply for British passport. Just want to know how should I start? do I have to apply like new ILR people who apply for Naturalization? do I have to go for English exam? please advise.
Looks like you will Have to prove that you did't leave country for more Than 2 years.
You will Have to apply for naturalization like others do and take life in the uk test.

greenolive
Newly Registered

Post by greenolive » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the respond, I always been in the UK (except short holidays less than a month in a year). I am running a successful business with good earning. I also hold a degree from university. Is it not enough to apply directly for naturalization?

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 am

greenolive wrote: I decide to apply for British passport. Just want to know how should I start? do I have to apply like new ILR people who apply for Naturalization? do I have to go for English exam?
First step is to apply for naturalisation. You will need to sit the Life in the UK test as you didn't do this when getting your ILR.

greenolive
Newly Registered

Post by greenolive » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks my friend

I have entered to the UK on 1973 with student visa, got married on 1978 with a BC and got my ILR on 1980.
I have heard if someone entered to the UK before 1975 and stay there can get the British citizenship directly, is this correct?

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:53 pm

I havent seen anything to that effect but my learning has come from personal experience (and too much time spent on the HO website) and so by no means an expert

goodfellow1

Post by goodfellow1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:32 am

[quote="greenolive"]Thanks my friend

I would strongly suggest that you consult a qualified adviser or a solicitor as it might be an exemption in your case since you have been permanently living here for more than 3 decades that you do not need to pass the life in the uk test since that law has only been introduced couple of years ago and it doesn't affect you... please forgive me for asking but why have you waited all these years to apply? Have you ever had some kind of trouble with the law or have been convicted for a crime?

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

goodfellow1 wrote:I would strongly suggest that you consult a qualified adviser or a solicitor as it might be an exemption in your case since you have been permanently living here for more than 3 decades that you do not need to pass the life in the uk test
whilst this may be true you do also have to balance cost/ effort. The test is neither difficult nor expensive where as solicitors are!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm

I am not aware of any exemption from the LITUK test based on an applicant's length of residence in the UK.