ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife's UK dependent visa rejected bcos she lives in the UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hyper24
Newly Registered

Wife's UK dependent visa rejected bcos she lives in the UK

Post by hyper24 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 am

Hi,

I hope you guys could help me.

My wife and I have been living in the UK for over 3 yrs now. We both came here to study, and then applied for PSW to extend our stay. I later applied for Tier one general and got my application approved, where as my wife still continued to stay here on her PSW (which has now expired).

We only got married on Jan 2012 in the UK. I applied for her dependent visa from the UK since we both lived here. I applied on Jan 3rd week and she went for her bio metric about a month ago. Today (23-04-12) my wife phoned the home office to get an update and she was told that her visa has been rejected because she is not allowed to apply from the UK making her application invalid. She now needs to go back to India and re-apply.

Is this true that one cannot apply from inside the UK? It was never mentioned on the website or on the application form. Also, the lady she spoke to said that it is very difficult to find out the information from the website.

Is there anyway I can challenge them? Also, is there a way that I can get a refund for my application?

Please help, we are now waiting for her passport and also need to book her flight ticket, but want to find out if there are any other options.

Thank you.
Last edited by hyper24 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Wife's UK dependent visa rejected bcos she lives in the

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:46 am

Is this true that one cannot apply from inside the UK?............ Yes
Is there anyway I can challenge them? ...........No (or rather, yes you can try but it won't succeed).

If she leaves within 28 days of the refusal she might even be allowed back as leaving any later will result in a one year ban on re-entry.

You say it' s difficult to find information. Well, have you considered reading the guidance for this category? The rules on switching (the permitted categories from which one may apply inside the UK) is clearly defined.
Last edited by Lucapooka on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

Lucapooka wrote:Is this true that one cannot apply from inside the UK?............ Yes
Is there anyway I can challenge them? ...........No (or rather, yes you can try but it won't succeed).

If she leaves within 28 days of the refusal she might even be allowed back as leaving any later will result in a one year ban on re-entry.
Thank you for your reply.

Terrible news though. Since the application was invalid, will they at least offer a refund?

vignezh
United Kingdom

Post by vignezh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

hyper24 wrote:Hi,

I hope you guys could help me.

My wife and I have been living in the UK for over 3 yrs now. We both came here to study, and then applied for PSW to extend our stay. I later applied for Tier one general and got my application approved, where as my wife still continued to stay here on her PSW (which has now expired).

We only got married on Jan 2012 in the UK. I applied for her dependent visa from the UK since we both lived here. I applied on Jan 3rd week and she went for her bio metric about a month ago. Today (23-04-12) my wife phoned the home office to get an update and she was told that her visa has been rejected because she is not allowed to apply from the UK making her application invalid. She now needs to go back to India and re-apply.

Is this true that one cannot apply from inside the UK? It was never mentioned on the website or on the application form. Also, the lady she spoke to said that it is very difficult to find out the information from the website.

Is there anyway I can challenge them? Also, is there a way that I can get a refund for my application?

Please help, we are now waiting for her passport and also need to book her flight ticket, but want to find out if there are any other options.

Thank you.
I guess, if you are switching from Student or PSW to dependant, you have to apply from your home country with a fresh entry clearance. Hence your wife's application is invalid as she not allowed to switch in-country. Hopefully, this rejection wont affect her as it is only due to an invalid application rather than anything else.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:52 am

Hyper.....The application was not invalid; it was a valid application that was refused under the rules. There will be no refund. The UKBA levy an application processing fee rather than a visa emission fee.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks a lot for all your quick replies. We just have to re apply from India. :'( !

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:05 pm

She is obliged to mention this refusal on the next visa application form.

6.3 Have you ever been refused a visa for any country including the UK? ......Her answer is no (because this was not a visa application - visas are only emitted outside the UK) and assuming she has no other refusals that you have not mentioned.

[...]

6.8 Have you made an application to the Home Office to remain in the UK in the last 10 years?..........Her answer is yes (because this was a leave to remain application inside the UK ) and then give the relevant details.

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Lucapooka wrote:She is obliged to mention this refusal on the next visa application form.

6.3 Have you ever been refused a visa for any country including the UK? ......Her answer is no (because this was not a visa application - visas are only emitted outside the UK)

6.8 Have you made an application to the Home Office to remain in the UK in the last 10 years?..........Her answer is yes (because this was a leave to remain application inside the UK ) and then give the relevant details.
I would have answered 'yes' for 6.3 if you hadn't informed me. Thank you for this additional info. You have been very helpful.

manish0312
Newly Registered

Post by manish0312 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:53 pm

So Hyper has your wife received a visa from India. If yes how long it took her to get?????

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:13 am

manish0312 wrote:So Hyper has your wife received a visa from India. If yes how long it took her to get?????
Manish...she still has not received her passport and other documents. We contacted the visa office 2 - 3 times and they said that our application hasn't yet been looked into. It is kind of strange because they did mention that the application is not valid. I will be giving them a call again this week for an update.

manish0312
Newly Registered

Post by manish0312 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Hyper can you tel me "when and where did your wife applied for her visa".

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 am

manish0312 wrote:Hyper can you tel me "when and where did your wife applied for her visa".
manish... we applied for it in the UK (address is on the UK border agency website). We both live and work here. But apparently a dependent visa should be applied from your country of citizenship, which in our case is India. My wife should have gone back to India and then applied for the visa. This is the reason we are currently having issues, since we applied for the visa from inside the UK itself. They have told us that our application is not valid. However, they are yet to send back the passport and all the other documents we sent them. Please contact the visa office before you apply, ask them all the questions/doubts you may have.

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi guys,

We just received a rejection letter from the visa office. They didn't reject the application because it was applied from inside the country, but for some other reasons (this is what my wife told me, shes gone to work now). I don't have the letter with me right now, I need to go home and read the reasons and will post it.

They didn't mention any time by which to leave the country. All they say is immediately. Does this mean today? or with in the next few days. We checked for flight tickets, and the next available flight is on the 12th of July.

They have asked us to call the Refuge hotline. But I am worried that they would deport my wife right away and she may not be able to re apply and enter the country again.

Can you please help? Thank you.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:08 pm

hyper24 wrote:Can you please help?
Gladly, but only when the facts are known will anyone be able to suggest something. So, post them after you have read the refusal letter.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:39 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
hyper24 wrote:Can you please help?
Gladly, but only when the facts are known will anyone be able to suggest something. So, post them after you have read the refusal letter.
Hi just got to read the letter.

Info on the letter. This is only part of the letter.

We have considered your application on behalf of the Secretary of State and your application has been refused under the Immigration Rules.

A decision has also been made to remove you from the UK by way of directions under section 47 of the immigration Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO APPEAL AGAINST THESE DECISIONS - SEE SECTION B.

In making the decision to refuse your application, careful consideration has been given to the following:

On 06 sep 2006 you were granted Leave to Enter the UK as a student until 29 Feb 2008

On 12 Mar 2008 you were granted Leave to Remain in the UK as a student until 31 May 2009.

On 30 June 2009 you were granted Leave to Remain in the UK as a Tier 4 (general) student until 28 feb 2010

On 26 Jan 2010 you were granted Leave to Remain in the UK as a Tier 1 (Post Study) migrant until 26 Jan 2012.

In view of the fact that you have current leave as a Tier 1 (Post study) migrant, the Secretary of state is not satisfied that you have, or have last been granted, leave to enter or remain in the UK as:

- the partner of a relevant points-based system migrant, or
- the spouse or civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner of a person with leave under another category of the immigration rules who has since been granted leave to remain as a tier 1 migrant.

Therefore you do not satisfy the requirements of the immigration rules for this category and it has been decided to refuse your application for leave to remain as a partner of a tier 1 migrant under paragraph 319C of the immigration rules as you do not meet the requirement at paragraph 319C(h)

Removal Directions: (also stated in the letter)

If you choose not to appeal this decision, or you appeal and the appeal is unsuccessful, you must leave the UK immediately. If you do not leave the UK voluntarily, you will be removed to India.

It looks like they are basically beating around the bush the say that this application shouldn't have been made from inside the country?? Is my understanding of the letter correct?

We do not want to appeal, my wife will go back to India and apply again. I want to know how long before she has to leave? We applied for the visa on 24/1/2012 and only today (05/07/2012) did we receive the letter.
The next available flight back home is on the 12th of july 2012. I tried to phone the refugee centre they had mentioned on the letter, but no one answered.

Please help as I do not want my wife to be termed as an overstayer or illegal resident or whatever. Also, I don't want them to reject our next application in India because she stayed few days longer in the UK after we received the letter.

Thank you.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Has the passport been returned?

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:44 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Has the passport been returned?
Yes it has been.

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:48 pm

As per my understanding, she will not be considered as overstayer till 28 days from the date of her refusal letter. If she returns home within that period than it will be alright.

And you are right in thinking the reason for her refusal. In plain words, her visa category doesn't allow her to switch to your dependant from UK. If she goes back and re-apply, she should be fine.

Good Luck with her application.

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:56 pm

longshift wrote:As per my understanding, she will not be considered as overstayer till 28 days from the date of her refusal letter. If she returns home within that period than it will be alright.

And you are right in thinking the reason for her refusal. In plain words, her visa category doesn't allow her to switch to your dependant from UK. If she goes back and re-apply, she should be fine.

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to read through my long post and replying so quickly.

I keep reading in this forum that a person must leave before 28 days from the date of rejection. And I've been googling for the past 2 hours to find a legal source for this information for some peace of mind. But I didn't come across any. Do you by any chance have a link to this info?

I just do not understand why it is so difficult for these visa people to mention a buffer time, even if it is just 1 week they should mention it so we know and not freak out. Just saying immediately is not helpful and very misleading.

Thanks again.

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:17 pm

hyper24 wrote:
longshift wrote:As per my understanding, she will not be considered as overstayer till 28 days from the date of her refusal letter. If she returns home within that period than it will be alright.

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to read through my long post and replying so quickly.

I keep reading in this forum that a person must leave before 28 days from the date of rejection. And I've been googling for the past 2 hours to find a legal source for this information for some peace of mind. But I didn't come across any. Do you by any chance have a link to this info?

I just do not understand why it is so difficult for these visa people to mention a buffer time, even if it is just 1 week they should mention it so we know and not freak out. Just saying immediately is not helpful and very misleading.

Thanks again.
Read this link

http://www.shef.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.124 ... appeal.pdf

I will try and get you something from UKBA. Give me some time. The above information I found is from Google. Also if you search this forum, you will get more information regarding the 28 day rule as my knowledge is mostly based on the information provided in the previous threads here.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Whether you wish to or wish not to, there is no point in appealing the decision since immigration rules do not allow your wife to switch to PBS dependant, something that you are / were ignorant of.

Likewise, with regards to "grace period of 28 days", ignorance of rules cannot be blamed on UKBA.
320(7B)(i) and, from 09-Jul-12, a new addition (paragraph 93) to 319C.

Assuming the refusal letter was received today and has been given 10 days to submit an appeal, if you do not appeal then your wife will become an overstayer from 16-Jul and should exit UK within 28 days from then on, to ensure that the overstay has no affect on the entry clearance application.

Unfortunately, ignorance of rules and the attempt to switch has cost your wife dearly - from 09-Jul-12, anyone applying for entry clearance as dependant of PBS migrant will be subject to 5 year probationary period to qualify for settlement (instead of 2 years currently).

hyper24
Newly Registered

Post by hyper24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Whether you wish to or wish not to, there is no point in appealing the decision since immigration rules do not allow your wife to switch to PBS dependant, something that you are / were ignorant of.

Likewise, with regards to "grace period of 28 days", ignorance of rules cannot be blamed on UKBA.
320(7B)(i) and, from 09-Jul-12, a new addition (paragraph 93) to 319C.

Assuming the refusal letter was received today and has been given 10 days to submit an appeal, if you do not appeal then your wife will become an overstayer from 16-Jul and should exit UK within 28 days from then on, to ensure that the overstay has no affect on the entry clearance application.

Unfortunately, ignorance of rules and the attempt to switch has cost your wife dearly - from 09-Jul-12, anyone applying for entry clearance as dependant of PBS migrant will be subject to 5 year probationary period to qualify for settlement (instead of 2 years currently).
Thank you for replying and for taking the time to post me those links. Yes, I was not aware that we couldn't apply from inside the country. I actually phoned the UK home office before making my application and I explained to them where my wife and I live (i.e. in the UK) and also discussed few other doubts. They never mentioned that I shouldn't be making this application from inside the country. Due to this, I had no reason to doubt that my wife had to leave the country to make the application. Expecting everyone to go through pages and pages of laws is not realistic. I know this has cost me. But I would expect such a crucial information to be on BOLD on the application (unless it is mentioned and I missed, then I need to get my eyes checked). If not, at least people working in the home office should guide me in the right away, like you guys are doing right now, but they did not.

What is done is done. Thank you for the info. Well the letter was dated 29/6/12, but we received it by post on 5/7/12. So to not overstay my wife needs to leave by 9/7/12.

The 2 links that you sent me, one is statement of changes. I read through it, and on page 16 it says 106. In paragraph 320(7B)(d)(i) delete “28 days” and insert “90 days” .

This is the original statement:

(7B) subject to paragraph 320(7C), where the applicant has previously breached the UK's immigration laws by:

(a) Overstaying;

(b) breaching a condition attached to his leave;

(c) being an Illegal Entrant;

(d) using Deception in an application for entry clearance, leave to enter or remain (whether successful or not);

unless the applicant:

(i) Overstayed for 28 days or less and left the UK voluntarily, not at the expense (directly or indirectly) of the Secretary of State;

Does this mean it is 90 days and not 28 days? I am not planning on making my wife stay that long, but just want to make sure for future reference.

Regarding the probationary period, do you mean for PR? If yes, then that is very unfortunate. But my focus now is to just get her back to the UK. :)

Last question (sorry).

When applying from India, should I make a new application or make an appeal? I assume it should be a new application. If yes, is there a duration that we need to wait before we apply again?
We are planning to make the application asap, maybe even next week as soon as my wife reaches India and if she is lucky enough to get an appointment at the embassy. Let me know if it this is possible.

Thanks a lot again.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:24 pm

1. Thanks for pointing out my own ignorance - missed reading paragraph 106 in the linked document which specifies the new requirement under 320(7B)(d)(i) coming into effect from 09-Jul.
2. Regardless, since 319C applies, the increase to 90 days under 320(7B) doesn't help in your case.
3. Date of issue (of refusal) is not relevant, the date of receipt is.
4. Yes, probationary period for settlement (ILR).
5. There is nothing to appeal against... no grounds! And you cannot appeal refusal of leave to remain application outside the UK.
6. Your wife may apply for entry clearance as and when she wishes to and can.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm

1. Make sure that your wife answers "yes" to the question in the entry clearance form that asks if the applicant has ever had a leave to remain application refused.
2. Make sure that your wife mentions in the same form that she has ever overstayed in the UK.