ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query for Family Members of a EEA National

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bing

Query for Family Members of a EEA National

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a visa national to UK and so are my parents. But my husband is an Irish. We will have been living in UK for 10 years this year. I applied PR last week through EEA-Route. After that, we plan to move out UK for a few years before we return to UK for kids' education.

Cut it in short, after we move back, I want to have my parents moved to UK with us. I checked the UKBA website and it states my parents have to dependent on me.

Well, my parents are not really dependent on us financially. I am wondering what kind of proof I need to show in order to apply this visa?
Does anyone have similar experience? Would be extremely grateful for any thoughts..

Thanks a lot
Bing

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Query for Family Members of a EEA National

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:32 pm

Bing wrote: Well, my parents are not really dependent on us financially.
So they won't qualify. They need to be.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Your parent question has been answered. One other point, you can be out of the UK for up to two years without affecting you PR. Otherwise you start again.

Bing

Re: Query for Family Members of a EEA National

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:57 pm

well, if I transfer money to them monthly for the next few years, would that be sufficient?
Lucapooka wrote:
Bing wrote: Well, my parents are not really dependent on us financially.
So they won't qualify. They need to be.

Bing

Post by Bing » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Your parent question has been answered. One other point, you can be out of the UK for up to two years without affecting you PR. Otherwise you start again.
I think in my previous post, there was a discussion about this. I gathered that If I come back to UK every two years, it should be ok.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Giving them money does not make them dependant if they have their own money as well. Or are you suggesting they deliberately shed their current assets and income to become impoverished and then live on your benevolence to qualify for entry to the UK? That would be crazy and likely to be invalid in any case.
Last edited by Lucapooka on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 pm

Bing wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Your parent question has been answered. One other point, you can be out of the UK for up to two years without affecting you PR. Otherwise you start again.
I think in my previous post, there was a discussion about this. I gathered that If I come back to UK every two years, it should be ok.
Correct.

EU_lawyer
Newly Registered

Post by EU_lawyer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 am

Dependence is not the only ground for claiming a right of residence.

As "extended family members" they would also have a right to apply to reside with you if there were serious health grounds that made them reliant upon you.

Another ground is that they are member of your household. For that they would need to be living with you in the country from which you come. For example, if you choose to go and live in France and your parents were to join you there and be allowed to reside with you, then you'd have a right to apply for them to join you in the UK upon your return.

Your parents would not have an automatic right (unlike if they were dependent upon you), but the UK authorities would need to make a personal assessment of their situation and provide full reasons for any rejection of the application.

For further details, please feel free to make an enquiry to Your Europe Advice:
http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/fron ... dex_en.htm

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 pm

Parents are family members by definition. Dependency is a requirement.

Bing

Post by Bing » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Lucapooka wrote:Giving them money does not make them dependant if they have their own money as well. Or are you suggesting they deliberately shed their current assets and income to become impoverished and then live on your benevolence to qualify for entry to the UK? That would be crazy and likely to be invalid in any case.
Thanks for you reply. I am not suggesting anything. I am just looking to see if there is any possibility. After their retirement, I would love to look after them. It does not have to be financially, doesn't it?
Last edited by Bing on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bing

Post by Bing » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Parents are family members by definition. Dependency is a requirement.
Yeah..but how to assess dependency is my question..

Bing

Post by Bing » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you!
EU_lawyer wrote:Dependence is not the only ground for claiming a right of residence.

As "extended family members" they would also have a right to apply to reside with you if there were serious health grounds that made them reliant upon you.

Another ground is that they are member of your household. For that they would need to be living with you in the country from which you come. For example, if you choose to go and live in France and your parents were to join you there and be allowed to reside with you, then you'd have a right to apply for them to join you in the UK upon your return.

Your parents would not have an automatic right (unlike if they were dependent upon you), but the UK authorities would need to make a personal assessment of their situation and provide full reasons for any rejection of the application.

For further details, please feel free to make an enquiry to Your Europe Advice:
http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/fron ... dex_en.htm