ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 extension and existing visa validity

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

culcbs
Newly Registered

Tier 1 extension and existing visa validity

Post by culcbs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:59 am

Hello,

Would appreciate if someone could help me with the following question.

Let's say I apply at a PEO for premium service for Tier 1 General extension, and receive an approval on the same day...

... what happens to my existing Tier 1 General Visa?

At the time of my application (and hopefully approval), my existing visa will still have about 2 months validity.

Does approval (!) of extension automatically cancels the previous visa?

Thanks

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:05 am

I remember reading on the Visa approval letter you get from UKBA that your newly approved visa overrides your previous/existing Visas.

So probably your current Visa is not valid after the new visa is approved.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:18 am

The most recent extension overrides any existing Tier 1 visa.
Give me more Karma (+)

culcbs
Newly Registered

Post by culcbs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:16 am

see, ordinarily that would be the answer, because your new visa, which used to be stamped in the passport would supersede the existing one.

but what if the only thing that you are given is an approval letter? and you have to wait to receive the biometric residence permit.

as far as i understand...the approval letter doesn't qualify as a new visa (or does it?), and you still don't have the BRP
.. are you telling me that between the time you receive your approval and the time you receive your BRP - you are without a Tier 1 visa?

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 am

There is no problem in you leaving UK...

Question is, when you come to the doorstep to enter UK they will see in the system, that actually your current Tier 1 is no longer effective (because it has been overridden by another Visa) but you do not have BRP for the new Visa, so they may not allow you in..

Do you really think you would want to complicate things in a already messed up system?

culcbs
Newly Registered

Post by culcbs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

thanks for your help guys.

just to clarify. I have never received a BRP before.

FYI, i just called UKBA and they said such cases of travel without BRP are possible. I also spoke to an assistant chief immigration officer at Heathrow terminal 5, and she confirmed to me that as long as I have existing visa valid and an approval letter, I should be able to travel out and back into UK without a problem. I specifically asked her if the approval letter overrides my current stay, she said no.

Of course I will double check this in due course when it actually comes to travelling, but here's the answer I got from the government officials.

culcbs
Newly Registered

Post by culcbs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 am

fyi n. 2, just called another immigration officer, this time in gatwick airport, to doublecheck what her heathrow colleague was saying - and they confirmed that it's ok to travel. the lady said if i have the approval letter and the existing visa in my passport, they'd let me in.

timesofindia

Post by timesofindia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:52 am

culcbs wrote:thanks for your help guys.

just to clarify. I have never received a BRP before.

FYI, i just called UKBA and they said such cases of travel without BRP are possible. I also spoke to an assistant chief immigration officer at Heathrow terminal 5, and she confirmed to me that as long as I have existing visa valid and an approval letter, I should be able to travel out and back into UK without a problem. I specifically asked her if the approval letter overrides my current stay, she said no.

Of course I will double check this in due course when it actually comes to travelling, but here's the answer I got from the government officials.

I suggest you get this in writing.

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 am

As per my experience there isn't a lot of time gap (max 1 week) between receiving the approval letter and BRP card so why would anyone want to leave in that short time period?