ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Requirement, massive error

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

English Requirement, massive error

Post by gadgetguy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi all. Ive been down to Croydon today to apply for an FLR M extension. All went well until we went to collect my wifes passport. The problem was we didnt have an English qualification certificate, completely my fault, I guess I didnt read the requirements as thoroughly as I thought I did.

I got confused between having to have a life in the uk pass and applyingfor an extension on the basis she hadnt passed it yet

Anyway the situation is that they have given us 2 weeks to pass and receive an appropriate English qualification, big, big ask.

Does anyone know if this can be done and where in such a short timeframe?

We've been married 10 years, have 2 kids, both work here and could both end up losing our jobs if she has to leave the country and re-apply from Thailand. Could take anywhere up to 6 months for decisions as they state.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Trinity College London took me 4 weeks to get an ESOL certificate. Here is a link of other colleges.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:25 pm

pennyless

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm

If your wife doesn't meet the language requirement within the time limit, she won't be asked to leave the country, but she will probably be issued with 3 years Discretionary Leave instead of FLR(M).
It's a ridiculous ruling...the spouse doesn't have the level of English to enable them to pass the KOL test...so the authorities allow a FLR application...but the spouse has to pass an English test to be granted the extension! The UKBA are without doubt aware that if these cases go to appeal the applicant would win.
Hence the granting of Discretionary Leave.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:45 am

DieselD wrote:Trinity College London took me 4 weeks to get an ESOL certificate. Here is a link of other colleges.

Thanks but the problem is we only have 2 weeks to pass the test and get the certificate to UKBA.
This has been the one that most people have recommended, Ill try them on Monday.
Casa wrote:If your wife doesn't meet the language requirement within the time limit, she won't be asked to leave the country, but she will probably be issued with 3 years Discretionary Leave instead of FLR(M).
It's a ridiculous ruling...the spouse doesn't have the level of English to enable them to pass the KOL test...so the authorities allow a FLR application...but the spouse has to pass an English test to be granted the extension! The UKBA are without doubt aware that if these cases go to appeal the applicant would win.
Hence the granting of Discretionary Leave.
Im guessing this is the best case scenario. My wife reads, speaks and writes English fluently which is the frustrating thing. This could have been resolved by a quick 10 minute interview by the UKBA when we applied. She has already demonstrated she can speak English by asking them questions while we were there but I suppose were playing their game.

Thanks for all the info and help.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:54 am

If her English is fluent, why doesn't she attempt the KOL test? She may just have time for this, assuming she's studied the questions.

AO
Newly Registered

Post by AO » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 am

Casa wrote:If her English is fluent, why doesn't she attempt the KOL test? She may just have time for this, assuming she's studied the questions.
Does KOL not qualify for English Language Requirements for the FLR(M)? The application form doesnt seem to suggest that it does...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:43 am

No it doesn't. This is the link to the approved test providers for FLR(M) language requirement. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Casa wrote:If her English is fluent, why doesn't she attempt the KOL test? She may just have time for this, assuming she's studied the questions.
As others have said it wouldnt help as thats only used for ILR, for an extension you have to have the English requirement. Odd really but thems the rules.

We're pretty much in the situation of wait and see as far as I can tell.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Was I wrong in assuming you were applying for FLR due to not passing the KOL test for ILR?

"I got confused between having to have a life in the uk pass and applyingfor an extension on the basis she hadnt passed it yet"

BigEasy

Post by BigEasy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm

gadgetguy wrote:
DieselD wrote:Trinity College London took me 4 weeks to get an ESOL certificate. Here is a link of other colleges.

Thanks but the problem is we only have 2 weeks to pass the test and get the certificate to UKBA.

You can take the GESE level 2 (A1) test in London on this Saturday 24th - when my fiancee took it a few weeks ago she received the certificate just a week later. The test lasts 6 minutes.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

BigEasy wrote:
gadgetguy wrote:

You can take the GESE level 2 (A1) test in London on this Saturday 24th - when my fiancee took it a few weeks ago she received the certificate just a week later. The test lasts 6 minutes.
Any info on where/college etc might be helpful. We're running out of time.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Casa wrote:Was I wrong in assuming you were applying for FLR due to not passing the KOL test for ILR?

"I got confused between having to have a life in the uk pass and applyingfor an extension on the basis she hadnt passed it yet"
No, thats our situation exactly.

We've now had news from her family that a close relative is very, very ill so we could end up requesting her passport back so she can travel. Just spoken to UKBA enquiries who pretty much said it will be refused due to not having the English pass certificate and we can withdraw the application but they cant provide any information on how long it will take either way or any contact details for Croydon PEO other than the address.

I understand they must have thousands of applications but the lack of point of contact other than the enquiries line or by post is laughable.

BigEasy

Post by BigEasy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 pm

gadgetguy wrote:
BigEasy wrote:
gadgetguy wrote:

Any info on where/college etc might be helpful. We're running out of time.
Dates:
http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=2307

How to regsiter:
http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=2320

Video example of the exam (GD2-Dhatri):
http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?i ... gesevideos

There's some preparation material available too.

Basically you have to make payment first and then reserve the date of the exam - because it only lasts six minutes they should be able to accommodate you even at this late stage.

Good luck.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Ok, we received a letter from UKBA today stating that if we didnt get in touch by the 7th of May with the required English language pass certificate that the application will be assessed on the documents submitted. i.e the exact same letter we were given when we applied stating the same, send the documents within 14 days or it will be assessed on the documents submitted.

This is really frustrating as we were told that it wasnt possible to do the test and receive the certificate within 14 days yet in theory weve had over a month which would have been enough time to do the test and send the certificate off.

Im now in exactly the same position as before, 14 days to find a test, pass it and get the certificate to them. Im seriously thinking of filing a complaint as we appear to have been misled about the length of time we had to do this.

:evil:

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:52 pm

gadgetguy wrote:Ok, we received a letter from UKBA today stating that if we didnt get in touch by the 7th of May with the required English language pass certificate that the application will be assessed on the documents submitted. i.e the exact same letter we were given when we applied stating the same, send the documents within 14 days or it will be assessed on the documents submitted.

This is really frustrating as we were told that it wasnt possible to do the test and receive the certificate within 14 days yet in theory weve had over a month which would have been enough time to do the test and send the certificate off.

Im now in exactly the same position as before, 14 days to find a test, pass it and get the certificate to them. Im seriously thinking of filing a complaint as we appear to have been misled about the length of time we had to do this.

so you are complaining that they have given you more time to meet the requirements! If you had just got on with taking the test then you could've sent them evidence that that the test had been taken and you were awaiting the results. I would suggest that your wife takes a test within 14 days and then sends them the evidence of this and hopefully they will give her more time.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:30 pm

Greenie wrote:
gadgetguy wrote:Ok, we received a letter from UKBA today stating that if we didnt get in touch by the 7th of May with the required English language pass certificate that the application will be assessed on the documents submitted. i.e the exact same letter we were given when we applied stating the same, send the documents within 14 days or it will be assessed on the documents submitted.

so you are complaining that they have given you more time to meet the requirements! If you had just got on with taking the test then you could've sent them evidence that that the test had been taken and you were awaiting the results. I would suggest that your wife takes a test within 14 days and then sends them the evidence of this and hopefully they will give her more time.
If I had known that we were going to be given more time or could have asked for an extension I would have. The letter led me to believe that the initial 14 day time limit was final, there was no mention of being able to ask for an extension. It stated that if we didnt supply the documents within this time that it would be assessed on the documents provided, this deadline has passed and now they are saying the same thing, provide the documents within 14 days. Im going to write to them and ask for an acceptable amount of time to complete the test and see what they come back with.

M999

Post by M999 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:31 pm

I recommend GESE level 2 (A1) Trinity College.
I took it and got the result straight away then the certificate arrived in less than 10 days.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:48 pm

M999 wrote:I recommend GESE level 2 (A1) Trinity College.
I took it and got the result straight away then the certificate arrived in less than 10 days.
Thanks, Ill look into it but earlier in the thread someone mentioned it took 4 weeks to receive the certificate

BigEasy

Post by BigEasy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 pm

gadgetguy wrote:
M999 wrote:I recommend GESE level 2 (A1) Trinity College.
Thanks, Ill look into it but earlier in the thread someone mentioned it took 4 weeks to receive the certificate
Like I said in my post a month ago, it took my fiancee just a week to receive the certificate, and the exams take place in London on a weekly basis.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm

gadgetguy wrote:
Greenie wrote:

If I had known that we were going to be given more time or could have asked for an extension I would have. The letter led me to believe that the initial 14 day time limit was final, there was no mention of being able to ask for an extension. It stated that if we didnt supply the documents within this time that it would be assessed on the documents provided, this deadline has passed and now they are saying the same thing, provide the documents within 14 days. Im going to write to them and ask for an acceptable amount of time to complete the test and see what they come back with.
Golly you have been so lucky to get this extra time and you still have not done anything about it. Without wishing to seem rude, get of the net and start doing something constructive!!
pennyless

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:14 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:
gadgetguy wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Golly you have been so lucky to get this extra time and you still have not done anything about it. Without wishing to seem rude, get of the net and start doing something constructive!!
Thats the whole issue, I had no idea that they would get in touch saying I had an extra period of time. If I had then I wouldnt have been on here

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:20 pm

they are not going to say 'this is your deadline but we may extend it' they have given you a deadline, and now they have been reasonable in extending that deadline. It appears to me to be common sense that you should make every effort to try to meet that deadline, for example by taking a test, or booking one, and then asking if they can give you more time by showing them that you can meet the requirements in a reasonable timeframe rather than, as it appears, done nothing.

As others have suggested I suggest you get on with it now and get your wife on an appropriate course and try to get the results to them in time. If you can't then explain when you can get the results and they may be willing to exercise leniency (again).

Suggesting that you are going to make a complaint because you have been 'misled' about the amount of time you had to meet the requirements is rather short-sighted. In fact they have been reasonable in give you more time - stop complaining about it now and try to make the most of it.

gadgetguy
Newly Registered

Post by gadgetguy » Mon May 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Test passed and now just waiting for certificate. Wifey received a pass notification on the day.
Does anyone know if they accept these as proof of a pass until you get the certificate?
A bit hesitant to send it straight off as we were told its a bit of a problem if it goes missing.

BigEasy

Post by BigEasy » Mon May 07, 2012 8:54 pm

They won't accept the result notification unfortunately but you shouldn't have to wait too long for the certificate. Well done to your other half for passing.