ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French citizenship for non-eea wife in UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Gale777
Newly Registered

French citizenship for non-eea wife in UK

Post by Gale777 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi everyone
I have some questions about getting French citizenship living in UK .
Shortly about my case. I am non-eea family member married to a French citizen.We got married outside France 5 month ago. We obviosly have got our CCM but with French bureaucracy still waiting for the Transcription from France. We live permanently in UK and I intend to have French nationality only (not British). Currently I applied for residence card.

Now questions:
1. How long does it take to get a French citizenship under my circumstances?
2. Does it matter for getting a citizenship that we don't live in France?
3. When does this period start(of living together) officially - from the moment of marriage or from the date of this transcription has been made?

Thanks a lot!!

Majeztic

Post by Majeztic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi,

Your chances are zero! how can u obtain French citizenship without living in France? being married to a French citizen isnt enough!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:52 pm

I assume you are not French.

France allows to acquire French nationality through marriage even without living in France (shocking, I know).

The requirement is 4 or 5 years of marriage (4 years if your French spouse is registered with the consulate in the UK). You will need to be able to communicate in French.

See Acquisition de la nationalité française par mariage : conditions.

Majeztic

Post by Majeztic » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 am

I thought it to be like the German nationality, which is not quite easy to get, amazing! I apologize for the wrong information then, thanks for correcting me, but just seemed so unlogical that someone aquires a Nationality without actually living in it or paying taxes.

Gale777
Newly Registered

Post by Gale777 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:08 am

Jambo wrote:I assume you are not French.

France allows to acquire French nationality through marriage even without living in France (shocking, I know).

The requirement is 4 or 5 years of marriage (4 years if your French spouse is registered with the consulate in the UK). You will need to be able to communicate in French.

See Acquisition de la nationalité française par mariage : conditions.
Hi, Jambo! Thanks for the answer.
Yes, I do speak french and my husband is registered with the consulate for many years. What still interests me is an answer to my third question. There is one important thing. We are planning to have kids in a nearest future and I know they can get french nationality after birth. Does it change smth? Cos I've heard if the same situation happens in France spouse can apply for citizenship after birth of a baby if couple is married at least for one year. What do you think? It really bothers me, cos I didn't change my surname and it looks like a little disaster that time when I will have still different nationality than my kids,different surname and for exmp will decide to travel with them somewhere :)

Thank you for the answer !

P.S. by transcription I meant livret de famille

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am

I'm not very familiar with French laws. I would imagine it is from date of marriage but you never know with the French.... I suggest you call the consulate and ask.

I don't think there is a provision for a shorter period if you have children but I suggest you browse the link I posted and check it yourself.

Don't worry about the different name / nationality. It's not uncommon for the mother to still keep the maiden name and for the children to have their father's nationality. As long as they don't scream - "I don't know this lady, I want my mummy" - you will be fine.

A friend of mine kept her maiden name after getting re-married so her child has her ex surname, she got her maiden name and her current husband his own name. Never had problem travelling.

happyfamily
Newly Registered

Post by happyfamily » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Gale777
The period of 4 years starts from the date you got married.
And nothing changes if you have children. That was in the previous law (i think before 2006).
Also you have interview in french at french consulate (and maybe now a culture test).