ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

effect of traffic offence on ILR

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

touchwood
Newly Registered

effect of traffic offence on ILR

Post by touchwood » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 am

Hi All
One of my friends is on tier 1 general and going to apply for ILR in July. About two months before he received a letter from DVLA in which he was asked to mention the driver's name driving his car as it was over speeding on a particular date. He mentioned his own name as driver and enclosed a letter with that reply in which he requested the DVLA to put him to a training/course instead of putting 3 points on his licence. After about 45 days he received a letter in which he was asked to appear in court. He appears in court but can not defend himself and gets 3 points on his licence eventually.
Now I am wondering will this decision of court affect his application for ILR, if yes,
how would that affect it? and
Is there ant way out?
Many thanks

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: effect of traffic offence on ILR

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:38 am

touchwood wrote:Hi All
One of my friends is on tier 1 general and going to apply for ILR in July. About two months before he received a letter from DVLA in which he was asked to mention the driver's name driving his car as it was over speeding on a particular date. He mentioned his own name as driver and enclosed a letter with that reply in which he requested the DVLA to put him to a training/course instead of putting 3 points on his licence. After about 45 days he received a letter in which he was asked to appear in court. He appears in court but can not defend himself and gets 3 points on his licence eventually.
Now I am wondering will this decision of court affect his application for ILR, if yes,
Is there ant way out?
Many thanks
Was your so called friend given an option initially to pay the fixed penalty instead of dragging this to court? If he did, I think he may have screwed himself by not accepting it and dragging it to the court. Any conviction in court have implications on ILR application. I think he will have to wait until rehabilitation period finishes, depending on the level of offence imposed with the fine by court. Seek professional advice
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

Mind_The_Gap

Re: effect of traffic offence on ILR

Post by Mind_The_Gap » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:26 pm

touchwood wrote:Hi All
Is there ant way out?
Many thanks
From 06-April-2011, applicants will need to be clear of unspent convictions when they apply for settlement.

Statement of changes to the Immigration Rules (HC 863)
Criminality requirement for settlement

FPN and PCN:
Criminality requirement for settlement wrote:

Receiving a fixed penalty notice (FPN), penalty charge notice (PCN) or penalty notices for disorder (PND) do not form part of a person's criminal record as there is no admission of guilt and they therefore do not need to be covered by the 1974 act. They must therefore be disregarded. The exceptions to this are when either there are criminal proceedings for failure to pay and the individual has an unspent conviction as a result of that or the individual has multiple penalty notices, particularly over a short period of time. In these cases you must consider the case in line with the general requirements of character, conduct and associations within paragraph 322(5) of the rules.

Police caution:
Criminality requirement for settlement wrote:

Cautions fall into two categories: "simple cautions" and "conditional cautions". The 1974 act was changed on 19 December 2008 to cover simple cautions, reprimands and warnings (which all become spent immediately) and conditional cautions (which become spent after three months) and they should generally be disregarded for the purposes of this draft guidance. However, if an individual has an unspent conviction as a result of an unspent conditional caution, you must refuse their application.

A person who has multiple cautions, particularly over a short period of time, must be considered in line with the general requirements of character, conduct and associations within paragraph 322(5) of the rules.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 - Rehabilitation periods