ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

plz help urgent

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saira12
Newly Registered

plz help urgent

Post by saira12 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:22 pm

just got bad news today

i have my application pending with UKBA for ILR on the basis of 10 years long residence since 4 weeks.

issue is, i just received a letter from Birmingham City council saying i have some amount outstanding to pay for council tax,which was shocking for me, as i lived in Birmingham for 11 months during Aug 2008 till July "2009 and now living in Preston for last 3 years.

my understanding with my landlord was rent is inclusive of Council tax , this is why i did not receive a single letter from Birmingham city council regarding council tax during my 11 months stay in there. when i moved out of that property i gave forward address to landlord plus my mobile number which is still the same to contact me if he gets anything for me.

but all of sudden today i received a letter from Birmingham City council, i contacted them they told me that court has appointed Bailiff because i did not appear in the court.

i did not receive any thing before this letter which i got today. also charges for the period they are asking also have few months added when i wasn't even living there. i think my old landlord has done some thing.

my main worry is if its gonna effect my ILR application or not.

and what shall i do

i really appreciate your response

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm

do you remember or do you have any signed off paperwork from the landlord which stated that he/she would be paying the council tax for you. If you can prove that then i would go to court and show them the letters.

but if there was an agreement that you would be paying the council tax then it was up to you to ring the local authority to sort it out.

if the bailiffs have been appointed and you are in a wrong then just pay the bailiffs and the matter would be closed but if the landlord is just trying to avoid paying the tax while he was supposed to then drag him in.

vinaya

Post by vinaya » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:16 pm

be careful with this and do not igore bailiffs letter, everytime bailiffs write or visit, you will be charged. go to council offices and speak to them immdeiately.

with respect to your ILR application- teust me, this should have no effect whatsoever, although other opinions may vary. Good luck

saira12
Newly Registered

Post by saira12 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 pm

thank you very much for your replies innocentdevil and vinaya

although we signed a contract when i moved to that property but i dont remember if this council tax arrangements was mentioned in that or not, and i could not find my copy of Tenancy Agreement as well as i moved out from that property in July 2009 and i did not bother keeping documentation. as i mentioned i did not receive any letter from Birmingham city Council neither during my stay in that property between Aug 2008 - July 2009 nor till today when i received letter from Council not Bailiff today.

council told me about bailiff i called him and he has added around £300 his fees/charges as well and asking me to pay £1100 in one go, i requested him although it is disputed i should pay or not but please do installment i will pay my self because i dont afford any thing bad on my name. but he gave me 7 days to pay off whole balance.

i am so worried how i am gonna pay altogether amount originally i dont owe, but cant proof as i cant find my tenancy agreement and neither they write me before for any outstanding amount on my name.

so worried, dont how i am gonna sleep tonight.

i am more worried about my ILR.

Regards