ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Length of stay for family members

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SD1212
Newly Registered

Length of stay for family members

Post by SD1212 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi, we are in UK on Tier1, and my mother wants to visit us. I know we need VAF 1B and that she cant stay more than 6 months on it at a stretch. My question is, if she applied for a 1 year tourist visa and stayed with us for 3 months then went back for a couple of months and returned back to be with us for another 3 months will that be allowed? How long should the difference be in between her these 2 visits? Thanks!!

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:40 pm

In the first instance depends on where you apply as not all countries have one year visas now.
Should you be in a country that permits one year visa it would reasonable to only expect to spend 6 months out of any one year period in the UK. The point of a visit visa is to visa not to be living in the UK and once you are spending more than 6 months out of any 12 it begins to look like you are living in the UK.
pennyless

SD1212
Newly Registered

Post by SD1212 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:29 pm

My mother will be applying from India for a UK visitor visa. So as you said, she can stay for 6 months even with breaks between her stay but needs to make sure that her stay does not exceed 6 months at any point. So 3 months in UK n then back to India for 2 months- or any number of days and again a 3 month stay in UK is fine?

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:43 pm

SD1212 wrote:My mother will be applying from India for a UK visitor visa. So as you said, she can stay for 6 months even with breaks between her stay but needs to make sure that her stay does not exceed 6 months at any point. So 3 months in UK n then back to India for 2 months- or any number of days and again a 3 month stay in UK is fine?
She will only be able to apply for a 6 month or 2 year visa from India. If she has not applied before not likely to get a 2 year one so she will only get a 6 month visa so will not be able to do the travel as you suggest above.
You did not understand the point made whilst you can only stay 6 months at anyone time the amount of time spent in any one year period is also considered. But in her case this will not be relevant on this application as she will be only getting a 6 month visa.
pennyless