ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self-sufficient, EEA2

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

morsan
Newly Registered

Self-sufficient, EEA2

Post by morsan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm an EU national, my husband is not. We're in Sweden now. We intend for him to work in the UK, and not me at all for the first couple of years, unless necessary for immigration purposes.

I've read the UKBA checklist for supporting documents, but I'm still unsure of a couple of things.
If we both apply for residence cards together, and he's the only one employed, am I considered to be exercising treaty rights as a self-sufficient person? If so, do we need to prove his income is sufficient to support the size of our household? We have two kids but both are EU citizens.
"Evidence that there are sufficient funds to maintain yourself and any family members included in your application during your intended stay in the UK on this basis"
If I'm reading this right, I need to have sufficient funds to maintain myself and my non-EEA husband--is this correct? Not including my kids then?

How does the UKBA determine what sufficient funds are? Obviously we intend to have a sufficient-for-us income eventually, but as we want to apply for the residence card as soon as possible after arriving to the UK, he may not be able to get a well enough paid job right away (we have some savings to help for a few months).

If I were to get a job myself and claim my exercising treaty rights as a worker, would the UKBA assess the sufficiency of my income?

Thanks in advance.

mEEA

Re: Self-sufficient, EEA2

Post by mEEA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:44 pm

It does not look like there to be a number/amount to quote. This is very vague and leaves the visa officer free to believe you not be a "burden" on the social assistance or not.

I don't know too much of all this stuff, but looking through these posts in here, it looks to me that the best way to apply is not to say anything about why you go to UK, and how long you want to stay. don't put a return date where they ask you for it. You may assume you are going for one week for a vacation. Family permit is 6 months valid. Once there you should apply for a residence card for your husband for that you need to exercise treaty rights (you can simply find what this means). Read this forum carefully and make a decision on how to apply based on rejections. If you don't know about something specific ask it here. It is also nice if you tell people in here how you apply in the end and ask for their idea whether you are doing it right or not. Best of luck.

morsan
Newly Registered

Post by morsan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:55 pm

It's the residence card I'm asking about specifically, not the Family Permit.

Thanks for your tips! I'll have a look at rejections.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue May 01, 2012 12:04 am

For self-sufficient (which will be the case if you don't work) there isn't a set threshold you need to meet. The main point is not becoming a burden on the state and live on benefits (although some benefits are allowed).

See more on pages 28 & 32 in the HOmodernised guide.

You will also need private health insurance or EHIC from Sweden to cover both of you.

morsan
Newly Registered

Post by morsan » Tue May 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Thanks for the link.

I'm curious if there is a similar assessment made when the EEA national is a worker. If I were to find work and I send a letter from an employer, would that be enough to satisfy the requirement? Or will they check the amount I make?

Also, if I were to claim myself as a job seeker, is it enough to show evidence of having had job interviews? I haven't worked for years since I've been home with the kids, and now recently been going to college (no degree though), so I wouldn't be able to show degrees or previous recent work history.

Thanks again.
Last edited by morsan on Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm curious if there is a similar assessment made when the EEA national is a worker.
No!
John

morsan
Newly Registered

Post by morsan » Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Awesome John, thanks!

morsan
Newly Registered

Post by morsan » Tue May 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Jambo wrote: You will also need private health insurance or EHIC from Sweden to cover both of you.
EHIC is not intended to be used when becoming resident in another country, just during travel.