ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

mother visiting for delivery

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zaynab79
United Kingdom

mother visiting for delivery

Post by zaynab79 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi all,

My mother has received her first time visit visa to UK but we had requested home office to start visa from aug or sept cuz my delivery is in sept. however she has gotten her visa from july to 10 oct which is not sufficient. Can she get it extended here in UK? does she need to appeal the case ?
plz helppppppppppp ASAP

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Unfortunately as it is a tourist visa, she cannot extend from here. (At least that is my understanding, can others please confirm.)

Do you mean to say she was issued a visa for only 3 months? I haven't heard of that happening before! They always issue visas for 6 months is what I thought. Did you mother say what dates she was going to travel on as part of the application?

viki83

Post by viki83 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm

As far as my knowledge is concerned, this is the duration for her to leave for UK...so if her visa expires on 10th Oct, she can fly on 8th October and then live in UK for further 6 months...can someone further clarify that...the duration of stamped visit visa is to fly between those dates...and then once you land in UK, you will have 6 months from that point onwards...

zaynab79
United Kingdom

Post by zaynab79 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 pm

she did mention her travel dates in application and i even mentioned in my invitation letter because we wanted to make sure that her visa starts after aug as the due date is in sept. she has gotten visa from 10 july to 10 oct and not even for 6 months which is strange. have they chnaged any rules in visiit visa??

venkat82
Newly Registered

To zan

Post by venkat82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Hey,
This is quite strange why did they give for 3 months.Are you sponsoring it or she is sponsoring herself for the visit.

Incase if you are sponsoring are you having valid visa for six months.3 months is quite strange.I am sure you can extend it from here for another 3 months but check with UKBA.If you call them they will tell.Also note you cant extend more than six months.
I have also applied a visit visa for my mother and waiting still.I applied on 19th APRIL.How long does it take for you to get visa?.

cheers
venkat

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:27 pm

viki83 wrote:As far as my knowledge is concerned, this is the duration for her to leave for UK...so if her visa expires on 10th Oct, she can fly on 8th October and then live in UK for further 6 months...can someone further clarify that...the duration of stamped visit visa is to fly between those dates...and then once you land in UK, you will have 6 months from that point onwards...
I have had several UK visit visas in the past, and in all cases there was a "valid from" & a "valid to" date covering a period of 6 months stated. In addition to that there was a "duration of stay" of 180 days stated. As I understand it the visit visa is given for entry and the length of stay is stamped on arrival by the immigration officer but that would never exceed the 180 days stated on the visa sticker in your passport. I have to say though that as I personally always came on holiday to visit friends and family I never really tested this theory out because my stay never came to anywhere near 6 months. It would be best to take a look at the current rules on the UKBA website (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ng/family/) as my last visit visa was in 2007! Note that it does appear that you can extend your visa while here as well... http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... ly/extend/. Hope this helps....

zaynab79
United Kingdom

Post by zaynab79 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am

the valid from - valid to dates are:
10/07/12 10/10/12 which is less than 6 months. The passports are being sent from pakistan to abu dhabi and this is wat they have stamped which is surely is BIG blunder.
Can someone pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee provide an email where i can raise this issue and try to get it rectified ??
The visa centre in pakistan (Gerrys) says they cant help in this matter as they are only acting as post office

Sahib

Post by Sahib » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:57 pm

There might be an email/contact address on the approval letter. Ask your mum to scan you a copy of letter which she might have received alongwith her visa.
My replies are just personel suggestions and not substitute of a professional advice

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

viki83 wrote:As far as my knowledge is concerned, this is the duration for her to leave for UK...so if her visa expires on 10th Oct, she can fly on 8th October and then live in UK for further 6 months...can someone further clarify that...the duration of stamped visit visa is to fly between those dates...and then once you land in UK, you will have 6 months from that point onwards...
That is not right. The visa holder can stay in the UK only between the dates mentioned on the visa. So if it says 10/07/2012 to 10/10/2012, the visa holder will have to leave UK by 10/10/2012. If he/she doesnt then he/she will be classed as as overstayer.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 01, 2012 12:11 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

twon2is7
Newly Registered

Post by twon2is7 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm

I am curious about length of stay in visas.

When ever I leave the UK I have never passed through immigration control. It is airpline check in, security screening, and then into duty free and away. Every other country I have left always has immigration control on exiting and entry and there they check such things.

So how does the UKBA/HO know if someone over stays their visa? in partiuclar tourist visa when they are not working. ....

hsmp1412
Member of Standing

Post by hsmp1412 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:27 pm

The problem will be when the next visa application is made by the same applicant. The entry/exit date stamps on the passport will show that the applicant did overstay on his/her last visit.

UKBA also conducts raids and random checks to catch immigrants living in the UK without permission to do so.

twon2is7
Newly Registered

Post by twon2is7 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:47 pm

The problem will be when the next visa application is made by the same applicant. The entry/exit date stamps on the passport will show that the applicant did overstay on his/her last visit.
but that is my point - I never get a stamp when I leave the UK .... so how will they know when somebody leaves the country if they overstayed?

try catching a ferry you do not even need to supply names - you just buy tickets and leave the country without seeing anybody from the UKBA

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Sat May 05, 2012 10:03 pm

twon2is7 wrote:
but that is my point - I never get a stamp when I leave the UK .... so how will they know when somebody leaves the country if they overstayed?

try catching a ferry you do not even need to supply names - you just buy tickets and leave the country without seeing anybody from the UKBA
With regards to first point, I agree they don't stamp passport while you leave, but you will get stamped on the other side, when you enter another country.

I don't know about ferrys. But I am sure, any country you are visiting would stamp your passport when you enter them.

So this is the catch I guess.
Last edited by longshift on Sun May 06, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

twon2is7
Newly Registered

Post by twon2is7 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:06 pm

longshift wrote:
So this is the catch I guess.
catch maybe but it seems a very convoluted process and entering and exiting other countries would make it very confusing for a BA staff member to pick that up on attempted re-entry.

Simply "losing" your passport and getting a new one would erase any previous overstay records .....

So it really baffles me how they can possibly enforce holiday limits and stop repeat offenders from re-entry ....

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 am

twon2is7 wrote:I am curious about length of stay in visas.

When ever I leave the UK I have never passed through immigration control. It is airpline check in, security screening, and then into duty free and away. Every other country I have left always has immigration control on exiting and entry and there they check such things.

So how does the UKBA/HO know if someone over stays their visa? in partiuclar tourist visa when they are not working. ....
twon2is7, what you say about the UKBA not being able to tell how many overstayers there are in the country is true. It's one of many issues that have been raised during immigration control discussions/debates during the last couple of years.

As one of the other forum members has mentioned the UKBA do use many methods to catch illegal immigrants, including raids, random checks via employers etc...

As none of these are foolproof there has been discussion around re-introducing (I say reintroducing as this is something that existed in the early/mid 90's, but for some reason was dropped!) an exit stamp for all non-EU passport holders leaving the country to combat the problem.

zaynab79, apologies that this thread has somewhat gone off topic and your original question. But I do hope you managed to get enough information on what to do next.

kewldesi
Newly Registered

Post by kewldesi » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:44 am

On a related note - My mother has no source of income as she is a housewife. Do we need to submit any other supporting documents other than my own sponsorship documents to buttress her financial status?

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:31 pm

whilst i don't know the answer as to whether or not your mom can extend her visa while she is in the uk, i blv it is normal to issue visit visa for less than 6 months. my aunt applied last year and got 3 months as well.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:16 pm

kewldesi wrote:On a related note - My mother has no source of income as she is a housewife. Do we need to submit any other supporting documents other than my own sponsorship documents to buttress her financial status?
There are two key aspects that your mother will need to prove:
1) Her ability to maintain herself while in the UK. Either by sponsorship, personal means or a combination of both.
2) Her intent to return to her home country. Ties to her home country which could include family, property/finances, employment etc...

Which one are you referring to above?