ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Grace Period for HSMP holders - new extension rules

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lbfrancois

Grace Period for HSMP holders - new extension rules

Post by lbfrancois » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:33 pm

I found this paragraph at Home Office Web site. Does anybody knows anything about this "Grace Period" ????

"Transitional arrangements will apply for those whose leave to remain expires under the new rules and whose applications will be considered against the new criteria. Those who are making a useful contribution to the UK economy - for example, working in a skilled job - but who fail to meet the new requirements, will be offered a 'grace period' in which they can switch into the Work Permits scheme (provided they meet the Work Permits criteria, with the Resident Labour Market Test being waived if they have been in post for a specified period)."

What forms should the employer and employee submitt to switch to WP?

Thanks
Lu

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:43 pm

I had raised a query to HO on this point. They sent me the below reply
Thank you for your email.

If you will not meet the requirements for HSMP extension, then your employer can apply for a Work Permit for you, using the WP1 application form.

Once this application is approved, you would then apply for Further Leave to Remain using the form FLR (IED).

I hope that this is of use.

Kind regards,

Matt Jones

Work Permits (UK)
Customer Contact Centre
Home Office
PO Box 3468
Sheffield
S3 8WA

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Yes, that's what they told me when I called them... But what about the grace period?? I forgot to inquire about it...

Another question, I couldn't find anywhere in the WP forms where the employer (or employee) should mention the worker is a HSMP holder. I was expecting this would be signaled somehow in the forms, so they would be aware of it and waive the labour market test. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lu.

indianpirate
Newly Registered

grace period is 28 days.

Post by indianpirate » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:39 pm

hi
grace period will be 28 days.
every HSMP holder wont be waived labour test.
they will write you a letter statng if you are working since 8 months you will be given a waiver.
i guess you could attach that letter, you have to really wait until they write you a letter if you have already applied or planning to apply before 5th of Dec.

cheers.

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:45 pm

How do I request this letter?? Who sends it? Is it from Home Office? Where did you hear about it? Why 5th Dec?? Is this a deadline for applying to WP??

indianpirate
Newly Registered

WP ....

Post by indianpirate » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi,
I presume you are a HSMP holder and looking for extension right?
then, to apply for extenion using FLR(IED) form the dead line is 4th of Dec. if you apply for extension using FLR(IED) and if you can not score 75 points, then WPUK will write you a letter asking to provide further evidences to score 75 points and if you can not score 75 points and working in a skilled job, they will suggest you to change to WP and will give you 28 days of time.
hope this helps.

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:48 pm

When does this grace period of 28 days start? after expiration of HSMP?

So do HSMP holders need to submit there extension even knowing it's going to be refused just to get this "grace period"???

I don't understand... where did you get this information?

liuning
Newly Registered

Post by liuning » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:09 pm

i got a letter from ho.

they said:
1)The completed sections of the FLR(HSMP) form, or the attached “Request to Vary” slip (whichever is appropriate to your circumstances), should be returned to the following address with 28 days of the date of this letter: (the date from my letter the ho was 22 nov 2006)
2)Please note that, where you complete the attached “Request to Vary” slip and return(s) it to Work Permits(UK), your application for further leave to remain will be held open for a period of time to allow the work permit application to be processed. However, where no work permit application is received with 6 weeks (42 days) of the date of this letter, consideration of the FLR(IED) application will be competed. In such cases ,this will usually lead to a refusal.

hope let you think clear.

my suggestion is send you old flr(ied) at the deadline(4 dec 2006).because it will took alomst 2-3 weeks let the ho write you the same letter. and you got another 28 days to complete the sections of flr(hsmp) or just fill “Request to Vary” slip .

you can get as more days as you can .

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. You got this letter because you applied for your extension during the suspension period using the old form, and without sending prove to score 75 points.

To my understanding, they gave you a "grace period" so you can comply with the new rules, meaning score 75 points or get a WP.

As to my knowledge, and according to the guidance, it doesn't mean that I need to apply before the suspension period has ended to have the labour market test waived when I apply for WP. I have untill my visa expire to switch to WP under the transitional process.

I've called Home Office and they told me my employer should use WP1 to apply for my WP and once approved, I should use FLR(IED) form to apply for my extension. They also advised me the process will be much quicker, as it will be considered as Tier 1 (no need for labour test market) due to the transitional processes put in place.

Lu.

hari15
Member of Standing

Post by hari15 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:17 pm

Hi all,
I have a doubt...

I am already in workpermit and I just got initial hsmp approval under old scheme...Going to apply for FLR(HSMP) using that

after 2 years I have to apply for hsmp extention

If I am not getting 75 Points for extension after 2 years, Can I use this wp option after 2 years too?

Will this transition rule be valid after 2 years :?

Yinkuze

hsmp>wp

Post by Yinkuze » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:50 pm

if you switch from HSMP to WP using transitional process, will you be allowed to change employer or are stuck with the employer who applied for the WP for you until your ILR

that wil be a very difficult situation
TIME is a better JUDGE than REASON.
-Thomas Paine

liuning
Newly Registered

Post by liuning » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:50 pm

As you know my first year initial hsmp visa will be expired on 15 Dec.

1)just because i noticed that ho asked us send the extension application no more than 5 weeks. i send my extension application on 8 November.

2)my situation is a little complex.I started my work at 31 July ,then i just got 4 wage slips.my annual salary is 38k.and i 35 years old. I can get my 5 points on uk experienc .(on 24 Nov 2006 i got my fourth wage slips ,i had already gotten 12812.83 pounds) ,i got another 35 poionts for master degree.I can get 10 poionts for salary.total is 5+35+10=50 points.
3)casue i did not hold my work 8 month .I should apply for "normal wp "without be waived. on 16 Nov 2006 my employer promised that they will sponsor me for wp application and refuse to advertise cause I have been worked for them for 4 months. and till 24 Nov 2006 they still can't find satisfacted evidences from my job agency. I need this information quickly as the time is running out!
4)for my employer they want get two kinds of information :

a) A letter from Greythorn(my job agency) outlining my role in the sourcing and selection of me. It should include full details of adverts they placed, what sites and dates on behalf of employer (not just a generic advert). they should also include the number of individuals they put forward for the role (would be good also to include from where, i.e. UK, or other country in Europe).

b) A copy of the advert actually placed.
5)time is tight. there are only 42 days (after 22 nov 2006 )for my employerthat they must apply the wp application for me.there are only 28 days (after 22 nov 2006 )for me that I must send The completed sections of the FLR(HSMP) form, or the attached “Request to Vary” slip
Last edited by liuning on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rckybhardwaj

Post by rckybhardwaj » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:54 pm

hello members,
I was just wondering, quite a lot of hsmp ppl cannot qualify for a wp sponsored visa. If at all they were eleigible why would they at first come here under hsmp.
And next thing what can a person really do in the grace period to get his pts, i thought the grace period cud be 6 mths, so that i someone is short of making the points regarding earning they can earn and qualify for thetir pts.
But 28 days is just too less to do anything, but enough time to pack our bags.

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi liuning,

I understand you problem. I think the only thing you can do right now is put pressure on your employer to apply for your WP as soon as possible!

liuning
Newly Registered

Post by liuning » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:16 pm

lbfrancois wrote:Hi liuning,

I understand you problem. I think the only thing you can do right now is put pressure on your employer to apply for your WP as soon as possible!
not the employer

the problem is the job agency.they did not apply reasonable imformation about the advert etc.

liuning
Newly Registered

the max grace period is 42 days

Post by liuning » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:32 pm

:D a letter from ho. :D

Date:22 November 2006
Dear Mr Liu:
Application for Further Leave to Remain as a highly Skilled Migrant submitted between 8 November and 4 December 2006.

Name of Aplicant:Ning Liu

Thank you for your application of 08 November 2006 to extend your current leave to enter/remain in the UK under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme(HSMP).

On 8 November 2006,the provisions allowing for grants of leave to remain in the UK under HSMP were formally removed from the Immigration Rules. After a brief period of suspension, revised Immigration Rule relating to this category take effect from 5 December 2006.

Any application for further leave to remain under the HSMP, submitted prior to 8 November will be considered against the Rules that were in place at the time the application was made. However, any application made on or after 8 November will be held open during the suspension period and considered against the revised Immigration Rules from 5 December onwards.

From 8 November 2006, a new FLR(HSMP) application from should be used by any applicant seeking leave to remain under HSMP.

Your application was made on 08 November 2006. Although it was submitted on form FLR(IED), we have accepted your application as valid. We will be unable to give full consideration to your application until the suspension period has elapsed. At that time, we will consider your application against the revised Immigration Rules and only if these are fully satisfied, will a further period of limited leave to remain under HSMP be granted.

The revised Immigration Rules, as they relate to existing HSMP participants, have introduced a new Points Scoring Assessment and a separate mandatory English Language requirement. In order to provide the relevant information and required documentation to establish that you meet these new requirements, you would need to complete Section 7,8 (were applicable), 9 and 10 of the new FLR(HSMP) form. Copies of this form and the associated guidance notes can be obtained from the following website: www.workingintheuk.gov.uk

You must complete and return these sections of the FLR(HSMP) form, together with the apecified documentation, within 28 days of the this letter. If you do not do this, consideration of your application will be completed on the basis of the information already supplied. In such circumstances ,the application will normally fall for refusal.

When you are completing theses extra sections of the application form, if you are unable to meet the requirements of the Points Scoring Assessment and are self employed , you may wish to consider to completing the Transitional Arrangements for Self Employed Persons section of the form.

If however you are unable to meet the Points Scoring Assessment and are currently in employment, it will not normally be possible to grant a further period of leave under HSMP. You may however wish to regularize your stay here by applying for leave to remain under a separate employment based immigration route, such as the work permit arrangements.

If you do wish to obtain leave to remain in the UK as a work permit holder, your current employer will need to submit a work permit application on your behalf. If your employer applies for a work permit for you in these circumstance, and you have been in your current job for a period of at least 8 months, it will normally be possible for the usual resident labour test associated with such work permit applications to be waived. All other requirements of the work permit arrangements will however need to be met before a work permit can be issued in such circumstances.

If you do decide that you wish to apply for leave as a work permit holder, you will need to advise Work Permits(UK) that you wish to vary your application for further leave to remain under HSMP, to an application for further leave to remain as a work permit holder.

In such circumstances, instead of completing the additional section of the FLR(HSMP) application form, you will need to complete the attached “Request To Vary” slip. The slip must be returned to Work Permit(UK) within 28 days of the date of this letter. When completing this slip, you will be asked to confirm that your employer is intending to submit a work permit application on your behalf. The work permit application will need to be made in the usual way, by your employer and submitted to the address detailed on the work permit application form, together with the associated payment.

In order to assist caseworkers considering work permit applications submitted in the above circumstances, a photocopy of the completed “Request to Vary” slip should be passed, by you, to your employer, and included with the work permit application that they make on your behalf.

The appropriate work permit application forms and guidance may be obtained from the following website: www.workingintheuk.gov.uk

Please note that, where you complete the attached “Request to Vary” slip and return(s) it to Work Permits(UK), your application for further leave to remain will be held open for a period of time to allow the work permit application to be processed. However, where no work permit application is received with 6 weeks (42 days) of the date of this letter, consideration of the FLR(IED) application will be competed. In such cases ,this will usually lead to a refusal.

The completed sections of the FLR(HSMP) form, or the attached “Request to Vary” slip (whichever is appropriate to your circumstances), should be returned to the following address with 28 days of the date of this letter:

Home Office
Immigration and Nationality Directorate
Leave to Remain Team 4
PO Box 3468
Sheffield
S3 8WA

Should you require any further information or clarification of any of the above, please contact the Work Permits(UK) Leave to Remain Team on (0014) 274 3147

Yours sincerely

Sue Batten
WPLTR 4
WPUK Managed Migration Directorate.

REQUEST TO VARY APPLICATION FOR FURTHER LEAVE TO REMAIN

THIS “Request to Vary” slip must be completed and signed and dated by the main application named in the letter above.
1. Name of applicant: Ning Liu
2. Home office Reference :ho ref
3. If you wish to vary your application dated 08 November 2007 from one for further leave to remain as a Highliy Skilled Migrant to one for further leave to remain as a Work Permit Holder, please tick the following box:
Yes I wish to vary my application to an application for Further Leave to Remain as a Work Permit
4. Please tick the box below to confirm that your employer has already submitted a work permit application on your behalf, or intends to do so within 42 days of the date of the attached letter.
Yes My employer:
. Has already applied for a work permit; or
. Intends to apply for a work permit within 42 days of the date of the attached letter
NAME :
SIGNATURE:
DATE:

Once you have completed the relevant details above, and signed and dated this slip, please return it to the following address: Home office , immigration and Nationality Directorate, Leave to Remain Team 4, PO Box 3468. Sheffield, S3 8WA

lbfrancois

Post by lbfrancois » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Cant your company just say that the advert was placed online and that after X days, they received no applications ?

I think I read somewhere that online advert needs to be kept for only one week (minimum).

liuning
Newly Registered

Post by liuning » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:53 pm

lbfrancois wrote:Cant your company just say that the advert was placed online and that after X days, they received no applications ?

I think I read somewhere that online advert needs to be kept for only one week (minimum).

an email from my employer:

I've passed the letter from ho to Deloittes(the company that manage our work permit applications) and have asked them what the next steps for you should be. We cannot set up a new advertisement as you are already here working for us.

Let me see what Deloittes say and any pressure you can put on your recruitment agency would be appreciated.