ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance Number - Urgent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

iskander
Newly Registered

National Insurance Number - Urgent

Post by iskander » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:57 pm

HI

Please excuse me for posting about something that is alredy discussed but this is an emergency.
I am a work permit holder, in the UK for about 3 months now. I thought my employer deals with providing me with a NIN and the card, and I noticed on the payment slip the national insurance tax so I just laid back waiting for HR to call me to pick up my card.
For a day now I have developed a condition to my ears and I am in pain so I asked for a day off to see a GP and for my NIN. I found that my employer didn't deal with this and I was supposed to.
What can I do right now to see a doctor in my current situation?

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:01 pm

You don't need NI card to see a doctor.
To apply for NI yourself, just go to a job centre office near to you.

iskander
Newly Registered

Post by iskander » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:05 pm

rg1 wrote:You don't need NI card to see a doctor.
To apply for NI yourself, ust go to a job centre office near to you.
ok thanks
and what do I do right now?
Do I just turn up to the nearest GP and ask to register myself and to consult me?
Also, my wife was luckier and her employer did provide her with a NI card & number. If it is needed could I use her's for now?

iskander
Newly Registered

Post by iskander » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:25 pm

thanks
I've just been to the emergency and it all turned out alright.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:24 pm

you most certainly cant use your wife's NIN. You have to get your own.

Check here:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

Also, as regards you local GP - just turn up with your passport and ask if they are taking in new patients.

In case of emergencies, you either go straight to A&E, or ring your local practice, and they should have an emergency number to ring if outside of office hours....

Get yourself registered as soon as possible! Dont wait till next time.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:31 pm

It is your responsibility to organise a national insurance number, not your employers. I'm not sure how your wife's employer could have organised her a national insurance number as you are required to report for quite an extensive interview at your local DSS office. It might be worthwhile checking out whether or not she actually is registered for national insurance and that her employers are not dodgy.

I have to say that in all my dealings with the NHS, I have never once been asked to prove my identity or prove that I am entitled to NHS benefits. This includes when going to an emergency room at a hospital to registering with my local hospital.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

babyfeet
Newly Registered

Post by babyfeet » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:22 pm

How things have changed in only a few years as our experience was..
No interview for a NI number, just apply and get.
Register at local doctors surgery-no probs, just fill in form that declares you intend to live at current address for three months or more, no passport shown.
I suppose it is all for the good?
Safeguard our hospitality from being abused?

meggles

Post by meggles » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 pm

i recieved a NI via my employer in Sep 03. didn't attend an interview. card arrived in mail.

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:34 pm

meggles- That sounds strange :? .

meggles

Post by meggles » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:05 pm

i know. i don't know how i obtained a NI without attending itnerview? but i have the card and the letter that came with it. the number has been successfully used for 3 years on my payslips.