ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AtlzBest26
Newly Registered

What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Post by AtlzBest26 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Everyone,

So im an Asian and have lived in Atlanta, US for the last 4 years for a Masters and IT work.

I moved back to my home country for personal reasons for a few months giving up my US job and the associated H1.

H-1Bs are too much baggage so Now i'm thinking about relocating to Australia through the Skilled Migration Program or to

UK through HSMP. The info on the net is usually positive but i'd like some first hand feedback.

Mostly, coming from the US, i think the IT market in Australia is much smaller here (true?)

but the value adds (i presume Aus has less social problems, more safety?) tend to make me

wanna move down under.

Also, never faced much beloved in Atlanta being "brown" but obviously, its there. Im not sure

how much it flies in Sydney and how it affects your workplace/daily life?

In short, ive had a great time in the US but since i was on an H-1 there it comes with its

own baggage and im looking to gain citizenship to Australia and settle there.

My other option is the UK but then again..BI jobs look abundant BUT high taxes and HSMP is

only a work visa..not true immigration.

Any help would be highly appreciated or maybe you could point me in the rights places to dig this particular info.

Thanks.

cottonwood
Newly Registered

Post by cottonwood » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:48 pm

I would rate US number 1, UK number 2 and Australia number 3. US society is the most open in the world and with the low taxes, you will have more cash in your pocket. Job opportunities in the US will be always good, because it has the most flexible labor market in the world. UK is in between. Australia has a small population and thus smaller and job markets. It has a tall poppy syndrom and top wages are much less for professionals. That said, it is a developed economy and a welfare state - cradle to grave social security system but one pays for it through punishngly high taxes.

As an Asian, you will be always looked as an outsider. An "aussie" is for some one born in Australia and of anglo saxon (and to some exten Irish as well) background. Otherwise one will be "Asian" or a Greek or Lebanese.

So, it will come down to a personal choice. Having lived in the US, I doubt you will like it down under. If the comprehensive immigration reform goes through as law in the next year, you could consider coming back to the US.
Good luck.

AtlzBest26
Newly Registered

It just might be the US for me

Post by AtlzBest26 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:06 pm

Thanks cottonwood for the great pointers,

Actually the more i think, the more i am inclined to go back to the US

WHY?

0. Ive lived there (Know the system, Credit history etc)
1. Lowest Tax brackets at 80k-100k among Uk, Aus, Ireland etc (20%)
2. Low prices (8% GST in GA)
3. Low housing prices in the S.East (my preferred choice)
4. Lots of savings
5. Excellent weather

WHY NOT?

1. H1-B visa issues (If the comprehensive immigration bill passes, then everything looks good for me)
2. Social Issues (rising crime, drugs, violence etc)
3. beloved (never faced it but know for sure its there)
4. H1-B to Green Card is still not that straight forward. Takes almost 5 years on average, 10 months minimum with the new PERM process...its just a mystery!

Australia

WHY?

1. Good salary ranges 90-120k AUD in my profession
2. Lower crime rates
3. Excellent weather
4. Immigration as a PR in 1 year or less

WHY NOT
1. My profession (IT) is not as big as US
2. Sydney is pricy!
3. High taxes (31%) at 80k-100k USD
4. 3 years now required from PR to citizenship (New Bill) from Jan 2007.

UK

WHY?

1. Growing IT market, excellent packages/benefits
2. HSMP lets quick entry into the country
3. Stable economy, ability to move around Europe if needed

WHY NOT
1. High taxes (29%) at 80k-100k USD
2. Housing costs are high
3. 5 years now to gain PR after HSMP
4. Weather sucks

PREETGILL
Newly Registered

Post by PREETGILL » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:03 pm

I don't know much about the other countries, but Australian Citizenship in 3 years should not be of much concern as PR is as good as Citizenship just that you don't have to vote as a PR. I know ppl who have lived more then 5 years on PR and continue to do so with out any problems.

Cheers

karupalli

uk taxes

Post by karupalli » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:11 am

Correction to UK taxes

upto 32,000 ponds - tax is 22%
After that 40%