ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entering the UK when pregnant, entry refusal possible?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lew242
Newly Registered

Entering the UK when pregnant, entry refusal possible?

Post by lew242 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 am

Hi there just wondering. My wife is 4 months pregnant and will be 6 months on entry, I am a British national. My wife has a 5 year 'visitor-C' visa. She is pregnant now and wasn't when she applied for the visa. Could this cause entry refusal due to 'situation change' or am I worrying about nothing? My local NHS trust knows that we are coming over and we will be paying for NHS treatment.

Many thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am

If she has the premeditated intention to enter the UK to avail herself of paid NHS services then she can't be admitted on that basis. General visit visa entry does not permit private medical treatment and requires a special category of visit visa. So it all depends on what you say to the immigration officer.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Lucapooka wrote:If she has the premeditated intention to enter the UK to avail herself of paid NHS services then she can't be admitted on that basis. General visit visa entry does not permit private medical treatment and requires a special category of visit visa. So it all depends on what you say to the immigration officer.
I would agree if the purpose of her trip is private medical care she should be applying for a visit - medical visa.
pennyless

lew242
Newly Registered

Post by lew242 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:55 pm

I don't think you guys are correct. I've been doing more research online on this question.

1. From what I can tell pregnant women are not refused entry for the UK as the immigration rules were changed in the early 1980s so that one parent needed to be a UK citizen or permanently settled in the UK. Also non-UK nationals or UK nationals who aren't usually resident in the UK are charged for healthcare, so you get no benefit from having your child born there.

2. The medical visa is for people who are seeking private medical treatment, we will be paying for public treatment.

3. Anecdotal evidence from aircraft cabin crew etc, would suggest that heavily pregnant women often fly into the UK without problems.

4. The purpose of our visit is to visit family, and any medical treatment will be a secondary thing, therefore the reason for the visit has not changed.

5. I am a British citizen, and the nationality of the child will be British by descent anyway.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat May 05, 2012 2:08 pm

Pregnant women are not refused entry. People who intend to use the NHS or private health without the appropriate visa are refused entry. The Border Force can't admit her (they have to follow the immigration rules) if she states she will be having her baby in the UK and is not in possession of the relevant visa.

(xi) does not intend to receive private medical treatment during his visit;

The fact that an as yet unborn child inside a person may claim to be British when it emerges is completely irrelevant. It's the mother who is receiving treatment and she is the individual under consideration before, during and after the birth.

You are asking for advice on your stated intentions to have a baby inside the UK while on a certain immigration status and we are citing the rules and regulations. If you want to declare another reason for the visit or that it will be for a shorter period then you will receive different advice.
Lucapooka wrote:So it all depends on what you say to the immigration officer.

TabeaSiefert
Newly Registered
Germany

Re: Entering the UK when pregnant, entry refusal possible?

Post by TabeaSiefert » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 am

Hi, what was the result for you? We face a similar situation. Was your wife admitted entry? I hope things worked out for you.

secret.simon

Re: Entering the UK when pregnant, entry refusal possible?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:41 am

TabeaSiefert wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 am
Hi, what was the result for you? We face a similar situation. Was your wife admitted entry? I hope things worked out for you.
Firstly, this thread is really old and the advice may well be out-of-date.

Secondly, the OP has not logged in since May 2012.

Thirdly, if you are a German (or other non-British EEA) citizen in the UK, the relevant laws and rules are different.

Please create a new thread with your specific circumstances. We can then advise you more precisely and correctly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.