ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC vs Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

avtarjain1980

BC vs Naturalisation

Post by avtarjain1980 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Q1. Can someone give me a brief difference between -

BC (British Citizenship) applied through MN1
and
British Passport (Naturalisation)

I have recently granted with ILR and asking these questions for my UK-BORN 2yr old SON.

Q2. After MN1 when my son is registered for British Citizenship, Does he get all freedom from immigration [Flying to-from UK] or the next STEP for Citizenship is mandatory to get hassle free UK-Entry.

Q3. Is there any difference between British passport and Naturalisation. If YES then whats that? IF NO then why there are two different threds of application timelines in this forum itself.

I am calculating timelines for MN1 + BritishPasspost + Surrendering Indian Passport + Applying fo OCI card (all for my son only), I will appriciate if anyone can answer.
cheers
AVTAR

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat May 05, 2012 11:49 pm

I suggest you read - difference between citizenship and passport.

Successful Registration application results in British Citizenship. If the child needs to travel, he may apply for a passport.

Naturalisation applies to adults only. children apply for Registration (same outcome. Simpler requirements).

See more - FAQ - most common questions - children.

avtarjain1980

thanks jambo

Post by avtarjain1980 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:07 am

Jambo wrote:I suggest you read - difference between citizenship and passport.

Successful Registration application results in British Citizenship. If the child needs to travel, he may apply for a passport.

Naturalisation applies to adults only. children apply for Registration (same outcome. Simpler requirements).

See more - FAQ - most common questions - children.
Thanks Jambo,
I have read both and now have lesser doubts -

Q1. Child has already got a foreign passport. So after the BC registration can he travel [To-From UK]?

Q2. Is the so called British Citizenship is a Letter like BirthCertificate and on basis of this Registration Certificate we then apply for British Passport?
cheers
AVTAR

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: thanks jambo

Post by Jambo » Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 am

avtarjain1980 wrote: Q1. Child has already got a foreign passport. So after the BC registration can he travel [To-From UK]?
The UK doesn't require you to enter/exit the UK on a British passport. However if your other nationality is a visa national one (Algerian for example), you can't travel without a visa to the UK so it doesn't make sense not to travel on a British passport. Your citizenship certificate doesn't act as a visa.

India doesn't allow dual nationality so as you said you will need to surrender the Indian passport once he becomes British (i.e. receives the Registration Certificate NOT when he applies for a passport).

Q2. Is the so called British Citizenship is a Letter like BirthCertificate and on basis of this Registration Certificate we then apply for British Passport?
Yes.

avtarjain1980

Re: thanks jambo

Post by avtarjain1980 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Jambo wrote:
avtarjain1980 wrote: Q1. Child has already got a foreign passport. So after the BC registration can he travel [To-From UK]?
The UK doesn't require you to enter/exit the UK on a British passport. However if your other nationality is a visa national one (Algerian for example), you can't travel without a visa to the UK so it doesn't make sense not to travel on a British passport. Your citizenship certificate doesn't act as a visa.

India doesn't allow dual nationality so as you said you will need to surrender the Indian passport once he becomes British (i.e. receives the Registration Certificate NOT when he applies for a passport).

Yes.
Thanks Jumbo
cheers
AVTAR