ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is our daughter a BC?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

boi
Newly Registered

Is our daughter a BC?

Post by boi » Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 am

Hi,
hope someone ca help. We have been living in uk since dec 2010. i am an irish citizen. My husband is dutch. We are both working here but for less than 5 years.
Our daughter was born dec 2011. Can we apply for BC for her due to me being irish or we still need to wait atleast 5 years? it will be easier for us to get british passport than dutch/irish.
Do we apply to home office or direct to passport office? What docs do we send? I only started work june 2011 then went on maternity leave.dont have P60.

thanks for your help.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 06, 2012 12:14 am

(all this assuming the child was born in the UK)

Your daughter is British from birth (and probably also Irish and Dutch). No need to apply for BC. Apply directly for a passport providing the parent Irish passport and UK birth certificate.

See Eligible for British citizenship?.

boi
Newly Registered

Post by boi » Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for clarification Jambo,
Yes she was born in UK. I am aware she is iligible for both irish and dutch passports (and 2 other nationalities as we are both dual citizens of diff countries) but as we live in UK I think it is easier just to apply for british passport for her.

regards..

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 06, 2012 10:37 am

boi wrote:Thanks for clarification Jambo,
Yes she was born in UK. I am aware she is iligible for both irish and dutch passports (and 2 other nationalities as we are both dual citizens of diff countries) but as we live in UK I think it is easier just to apply for british passport for her.

regards..
Jambo has already answered you regarding British citizenship for your child.

Whether the child is also Irish depends on where YOU were born. If Ireland, then yes the child is Irish. If not, then it might be possible for the child to be Irish depending on some factors.

As for passports, for Irish children under three, they can only get a three-year passport initially; then five-year passports until they are 18. The fee is £38 for the three year passport.

http://www.embassyofireland.co.uk/home/ ... x?id=33727

boi
Newly Registered

Post by boi » Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for reply.
I was just acknowledging Jambo's reply. I wasnt asking any further questions.
As regards to Irish law, that is correct. I have to other children who are Irish!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 am

boi wrote:Thanks for reply.
I was just acknowledging Jambo's reply. I wasnt asking any further questions.
As regards to Irish law, that is correct. I have to other children who are Irish!
I didn't think you were, but others may read the thread. Being born to an Irish parent outside of Ireland does not automatically make the child Irish - there are conditions.

boi
Newly Registered

Post by boi » Sun May 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Thats true. I often read forums to find answers so it is important to make sure everything is clear and accurate so that it doesnt mislead people.

Thank you both.

boi
Newly Registered

Post by boi » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:19 am

Just to update that I applied for my daughter's passport by mailing the docs and we have since received her british passport. Went smooth and we got it in less than 2 weeks though they had said it usually takes 3 weeks!

Thank you guys for the advice.

Boi.