ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for Baby

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mkanagar

Citizenship for Baby

Post by mkanagar » Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi,
I and my wife are having Indian passports.
We are expecting a baby in Nov-2012.
My wife is already on ILR and i am on Tier-1 General.

Can you please answer the below questions as we have some confusions over it.

1.) We learned that when the baby is born, we can apply british citizenship for the baby by showing UK birth certificate and parent passports. is it true?

2.) Can we get indian citizenship for the baby if the baby is born in uk.?
I and my wife have indian passports. If so, what visa will the baby get. ILR or Tier-1? Is there any link to know how can we apply visa for the baby?

3.) Can we get dual citizenship for the baby? If so, whats the process?
Can you please point to the link where i can get more info?

Thanks,
Mahesh

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Fri May 04, 2012 5:08 pm

1. If your wife is already an ILR holder then the baby is British Citizen by birth. You don’t to register the baby or apply for his/her citizenship. You can directly apply for baby’s passport.

2. I think India doesn’t allow dual citizenships but you can get PIO card from Indian High Commission in London.

3. You will have to check if India allows dual Citizenships (UK definitely does).

mkanagar

Post by mkanagar » Fri May 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply...

What if i dont want my baby to be british citizen?
should my wife have the delivery in india just because we dont want our baby to be british citizen.?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri May 04, 2012 9:08 pm

The only way you can avoid the child being British is for the birth to take place outside the UK.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm

mkanagar wrote:Thanks for the reply...

should my wife have the delivery in india just because we dont want our baby to be british citizen.?
I suggest you contact the HCI London and ask for advice. I believe that in cases of involuntary citizenship such this, the Indian authorities might consider him Indian if he is registered with the HCI and prove he didn't apply for a British passport.

The UK authorities would still consider him British.

avtarjain1980

input

Post by avtarjain1980 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:26 pm

mkanagar wrote:Thanks for the reply...

I have some input -

If you get an PIO/OCI card for your daughter and go back to India then you can get Indian Nationality back when you settle back in india:

PIO card holder can acquire Indian Citizenship after living in India for 7 years. OCI card holder needs to wait for 5 years and must have stayed in India for at least one year.

Please check difference between PIO and OCI cards.

http://www.onlinepassportphotos.com/OCI_vs_PIO.htm
http://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/

I think most probable you have to apply for PIO card for you daughter and OCI card for yourself

I would suggest moving this thread to British Citizenship
cheers
AVTAR