ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ESOL with citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

adil2009

ESOL with citizenship

Post by adil2009 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Dear all,

I am on WP ,going to apply soon ILR with my wife. would like to ask whether my wife need to do ESOL with citizenship OR Life in UK test to apply for ILR ?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Either, depending on her level of English. The ESOL course must be on the UKBA approved list and she will have to show progression from one level to the next.

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue May 08, 2012 3:02 pm

my mistake. I didn't read it properly. For ILR she needs LIUK.
Last edited by innocentdevil on Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue May 08, 2012 3:04 pm

this is not relevent for the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement for ILR.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 08, 2012 4:24 pm

innocentdevil - Life in the UK or ESOL

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue May 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Casa wrote:innocentdevil - Life in the UK or ESOL

as far as I know, if a person is applying for ILR then the person needs to show a LIUK certificate which I have done and many others.

ESOL - certains levels can be used for Spouse visa for listening and reading hence why I posted the other link before.

hope that helps Casa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 pm

They can either submit the ILR application with the Life in the UK pass or if their English is below grade 3, they can show the ESOL with Citizen's course with progression from one level to the next.
I'm concerned that members may believe they can only apply with the KOL (Life in the UK) test, which isn't the case.

adil2009

Post by adil2009 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Casa wrote:They can either submit the ILR application with the Life in the UK pass or if their English is below grade 3, they can show the ESOL with Citizen's course with progression from one level to the next.
I'm concerned that members may believe they can only apply with the KOL (Life in the UK) test, which isn't the case.
My wife english level is not very good, so she can sit for ESOL with Citizen's course and upon success she can apply for ILR ? RIGHT ???

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Tue May 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Casa wrote:They can either submit the ILR application with the Life in the UK pass or if their English is below grade 3, they can show the ESOL with Citizen's course with progression from one level to the next.
never knew that mate. Thanks for clarification.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 pm

adil2009 wrote:
My wife english level is not very good, so she can sit for ESOL with Citizen's course and upon success she can apply for ILR ? RIGHT ???
It depends how not very good her English is. An esol course provider would need to assess her English if below entry level 3 (not level 3) then she can take an esol course and instead of the life in the UK test.

bob-russell

Post by bob-russell » Wed May 09, 2012 4:32 pm

If your wife has a fairly basic level of English then an ESOL course is the best way forward.
Contact your local college and see if they do a suitable ESOL course. Make sure they know it is for ILR.
Any college inspected by OFSTED qualifies and many offer Skills for Life courses which may qualify if the college includes some citizenship material required by the UKBA. Some specific courses ESOL with citizenship are available but some of these may need slightly better English skills.
ESOL courses are good for improving confidence so are a good introduction to life in the UK.
Make sure the college is happy to sign the required letter at the end of the course.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ation/kol/

The letter required for ILR:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... letter.pdf