ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pls Help - name change, referees and country

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fenling
Newly Registered

Pls Help - name change, referees and country

Post by fenling » Tue May 08, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello members,

I've got useful information through this site which helped me a lot to get ILR last year successfully.

Now I am going to apply for british citizenship soon and I would like to get advices for the below.

1. Re Referees : I have some british ex colleagues whom I met LESS than 3 years ago but we've been knowing each other through emails and phone calls MORE than three years. Will they be able to be my referees? or do I need to wait for another several months until I can count fully three years since I've met them physically?

2. Re Name : I want to add another name to my current name. For example, my current name is Paul but i would like to change to John Paul. But I will keep my surname. I found I need to explain why I need to change in this case. Can I simply say I prefer the new name to the current one? Or do i need a serious reason to change name?

3. Re the name of country where I was born : if the name of the country has been changed, which one do I have to use between old and current ones?

Thank you in advance!!!

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Re: Pls Help - name change, referees and country

Post by jms_uk » Tue May 08, 2012 8:34 pm

fenling wrote: 3. Re the name of country where I was born : if the name of the country has been changed, which one do I have to use between old and current ones?
Can't help you with the first two questions, but can with this one.

Use the current name of the country.

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 am

1) As long as they are comfortable saying they have known you personally for more than 3 years (bearing in mind they face prison if it is found they falsely signed the form) then it shouldnt be an issue that the first period didnt happen to be in person

2) You normally need to provide evidence that you are actively using the alternative name for them to accept it. Do you currently use the name John or is this a new whim? Do you have bank accounts or any official records in the new name yet?

3) Personally would give it its current name but add it to the any other info at the back of the form to give the original country name (particularly if its a Yugoslavia type change where the country was split rather than like Sri Lanka which simply changed name)

fenling
Newly Registered

Post by fenling » Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you very much guys for the advices. I will then wait for another months for applying the citizenship as I don't want my friends to be in trouble.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Wed May 09, 2012 4:12 pm

friendinneed wrote:particularly if its a Yugoslavia type change where the country was split rather than like Sri Lanka which simply changed name)
My case is the first one, and never had any problems without offering additional explanations. I supposed an extra line of text on the additional info page can't hurt.