ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surname different in passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leony

Surname different in passport

Post by leony » Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi,

Asked this question but could not get an answer, my fiancee is in the UK with leave to remain until Nov 12.

We are going back soon to get married and apply for entry clearance for her. Obviously her surname will be changed once we get married.

My question: If her application is refused, how can she come back with her existing visa? Her surname will be different, she will have a new passport with no visa but old passport with her maiden name and visa. How would she enter back with her old passport at the UK border?

Unfortunately in my country the maiden name is changed automatically once get married.

Any help is appreciated.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed May 09, 2012 1:03 am

Ask her to keep the marriage certificate handy .... if an IO has any questions about change of name.

Nothing to worry about.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

leony

Post by leony » Wed May 09, 2012 4:00 am

Hi
Many thanks
So at the border she will have to present both the passports (old and new) + marriage certificate if needed? (in case she is refused for dependant visa)

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 am

That is absolutely right. My wife had the same issue when we got married. Her new passport with a different name(married) didn't had the vignette. She always carry her old passport togather. Never needed the marriage certificate. But as the Sushmehta said, its good to carry it when she travel in case the border staff are not satisfied with the passport.

Also, this tip might come in handy. I had my wife's name mentioned in my passport. This would help at too places. Border control and visa's. Just a thought.

leony

Post by leony » Wed May 09, 2012 8:58 am

Many thanks for your valuable inputs

How about if we get married (obviously I am talking about if our application for dependant refused again), and my wife does not get a new passport with my surname (because it takes around 10 days to get one and we do not want to wait), carries on with her existing passport and visa (which is valid to Nov 12), would this be a problem?

Sorry to ask so many hypothetical questions as I am trying to be ready for every situation.

longshift
United Kingdom

Post by longshift » Wed May 09, 2012 9:26 am

leony wrote:Many thanks for your valuable inputs

How about if we get married (obviously I am talking about if our application for dependant refused again), and my wife does not get a new passport with my surname (because it takes around 10 days to get one and we do not want to wait), carries on with her existing passport and visa (which is valid to Nov 12), would this be a problem?

Sorry to ask so many hypothetical questions as I am trying to be ready for every situation.
She souldn't have any problem re-entering brittain so long she got Multiple Entry Visa.