ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Which Credits?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kumar17

ILR - Which Credits?

Post by kumar17 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:03 am

obtained ILR last week and applied for baby BC under MN1 yesterday at NCS. Case worker did not accept the application as we had not yet received the biometric cards. Once we receive the cards we can submit it and the application will be forwarded to the UKBA.

Spent some time reading the posts in this section but slightly confused.

Having obtained ILR -
  1. will claiming benefits affect our BC application next year?
  2. Which benefits am I entitled to?
Just need to be careful we do not create problems for ourselves next year when we apply for BC.

I work full time and partner part time.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 09, 2012 6:29 am

Using the numbering I have inserted into your post :-
  1. No effect whatsoever.
  2. Given that we know nothing about you, apart from the fact that both of you work, it is impossible to say. You have any children? If yes then claim Child Benefit, and consider claiming Tax Credits.
John

kumar17

Post by kumar17 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 am

John,

Thanks for the reply.

which details do you need to comment?

Children - 1, <2yrs . applied for BC under MN1
partner & myself ILR - awaiting biometric card

can we also apply for low cost housing to the council and pay the rents in full? I understand you get on some priority list and may never get it but i am not too sure. this could save hundreds of pounds a month on private renting. Is this considered as housing benefit?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 09, 2012 7:06 am

can we also apply for low cost housing to the council and pay the rents in full?
Given both of you are working it is highly unlikely that all your rent would be paid. But you are entitled to apply for Council Housing, but that does not mean the request will be granted. Most areas have a waiting list, often years long.

Certainly apply for Child Benefit and Tax Credits. Details of both on the www.hmrc.gov.uk website.
John

kumar17

Post by kumar17 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 pm

John,

Spoke to HMRC this morning and apparently we do not qualify. You cannot get tax credits if the combined household income is >£26000. the lady was caterogic that i could not recieve the forms and would have to pay the full costs of child care - no tax deductions.
is this correct?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Unfortunately, yes it is correct. For a one child family, for the tax year 2011-12 the income limit was £41500, but for the current 2012-13 tax year the limit has been reduced to about £26000.

But of course there is nothing to stop you proceeding with a claim for Child Benefit, and if you have not been in touch with that office I suggest you do so now.
John