ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Seeking Professional Advice for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Seeking Professional Advice for Spouse Visa

Post by earthworm_gym » Wed May 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi all,

So looking to get hold of a UK spouse visa for my American wife. We are trying to decide whether to apply ourselves, or seek help from a 3rd party company. They seem to be even more expensive than the cost of the visa itself, but at the same time, we want to make sure our visa is approved first time!

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Wed May 09, 2012 10:24 pm

If it is a straight forward application then I'm sure you can prepare it yourself. Having said that I know of people who's situations were ''complex'' and were still successful without paying someone.

Also, applicants from countries such as America tend to be scrutinised less so in my personal opinion, I think you should just take the time to research and collate your information using sites such as these and save your self expense of professional assistance.

You can always have an initial consultation or document check by a professional for piece of mind.

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Wed May 09, 2012 10:27 pm

SoHopeful wrote:If it is a straight forward application then I'm sure you can prepare it yourself. Having said that I know of people who's situations were ''complex'' and were still successful without paying someone.

Also, applicants from countries such as America tend to be scrutinised less so in my personal opinion, I think you should just take the time to research and collate your information using sites such as these and save your self expense of professional assistance.

You can always have an initial consultation or document check by a professional for piece of mind.
Thanks for this! I was thinking the same thing :-)

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi

I just had to make the same decision - so I'll share my thoughts. Many people are successful without any third party help and some aren't.

I think it depends on how much work you are willing to put in yourself. If you don't get clued up first for example and don't fulfill basic requirements like English test or if your accomodation is rented getting a letter from the landlord approving your fiance moving into the rented house then it will fail!

Here's what I did. I read everything I could starting with the guidance on the UKBA website AND the guidance on the website that the UKBA issue to the ECO's that make the decisions. I really wanted to do it myself and not fork out an extra £600 - £1000.

On the other hand I didn't want to miss anything! So i put together our application and any queries I had I used these forums. Our case doesn't have any particularly tricky issues - I have a well paid job, no overstays etc. However I had some concerns over the fact that I run my own business which is new so no tax returns we corresoond on skype for free which can only be shown by screen prints - no way to prove through skype - having seen some horrible rejection stories ie phone calls but no letters or texts!!! no tax return for LTD company even though tax not yet due - my paranoia went into overdrive! I paid an advisor for a one hr consult and we went through my application/supporting docs page by page and I asked all the things that were bothering me. I got a few useful tips but she was honest enough to say that I dodn't need representation or a further doc check and everything is in order. Some places also offer a doc check for about £300 but I was able to go through my whole application in the hr consult. Also I question if there would be enough time to get together any missing papers in a last minte doc check. It gave me peace of mind that I had done all that I could for the application but in truth I did not need it - that said I did actually sleep well that night!!!

The information is available and these forums v useful for clarifying queries - but if you don't want to do it yourself or don't have the time then get an adviser. If you are comfortable doing it yourself and your case is not extremely tricky but it is really bothering you then perhaps a middle ground like I did would be suitable. I am very glad I didn't part with my cash before doing the work myself because it turned out that there was not really anything to add to thw work I did But I am glad I paid £100 to know that I had all the right info in my application - now it will be in the hands of the ECO - who hopefully will be in a good mood! Some may think it was a waste of time or is simply an extra cost that is not possible - I did it to calm my nerves!!!!
Hoping to be reunited soon

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 am

Just wanted to add that I also agree with the other response. When I first started researching our application was to be couriered to New york. Now things have changed and it to be sent to Colombia - which made me more nervous - one member suggested to me that even new york treats USA applicants more favourably than other countries that use NY as a hub.

Its so unjustifiable but from what I have read here (and I have no other evidence for this) it seems that some places are more stringent and so much less efficient

good luck! We're just planning the final details of our wedding for 28 July and desperately hoping that we dont get married and then get told that we can't live together here

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am

hi guys,

Wow- this is awesome! Thanks for great feedback.

Carlyann, what service did you use to get the documents checked? (Was it UK or USA based?)

I am currently looking over the requirements on the UKBA website- here's a perhaps trivial question.

Does my US Wife need to fill out all the paperwork, or can I do it on behalf?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Please don't make multiple posts on the same topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 12, 2012 3:13 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Please don't make multiple posts on the same topic.
ok, but they are different questions....

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 pm

NEW QUESTION: Passports-

Does it matter which passport she uses to apply? Her current one has her maiden name in it- does she need to upgrade to one with her new last name>?

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Sat May 12, 2012 9:18 pm

In my case the applicant is male so I don't have this problem! But there was a recent post on this. Search for

Wedding in Brazil, spouse visa application immediately after

sorry don't know how to paste a link!!!!

Adviser is London based

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Sun May 13, 2012 1:33 pm

No, it wont matter if documents are in her maiden name.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 13, 2012 1:40 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 20, 2012 5:24 pm

earthworm_gym wrote:Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had a good link to an easy-to-ready checklist for all the supporting documents one would needs to apply for a UK Spouse visa. MY American Wife is getting ready to apply, but isn't 100% sure of all the things she needs.

Many thanks in advance.
Casa wrote:Has she read the notes regarding documents on form VAF4a?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

A Couple more questions

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 26, 2012 10:06 am

Hey all,

I just had a few small questions, regarding the application process:

1) With all the documentation that we use (such as sponsors birth certificate), do we have to send over ALL the originals, or can we make just copies? [I'm a little reluctant to send over original documents of some stuff, and others I just couldn't use, like original work contract]

2) One of the sponsor requirements is to proof tenancy- so how do we prove this if we are living with parents in a rented house? What kind of documentation would work in this instance?

3) Does anyone know of a link to a template to the sponsor's letter of introduction/intent? Be good to have a model to work from?

4) In terms of proving constant contact, would a print-out of the Skype calls work, or would that not be accepted? If not, what other method would work?

Thanks for your continued support :-)

SoHopeful

Re: A Couple more questions

Post by SoHopeful » Sat May 26, 2012 12:30 pm

earthworm_gym wrote:Hey all,

1) With all the documentation that we use (such as sponsors birth certificate), do we have to send over ALL the originals, or can we make just copies? [I'm a little reluctant to send over original documents of some stuff, and others I just couldn't use, like original work contract]

You can send certified copies of official documents if you want to keep the originals. Solicitors can do this, cost varies depending on where you are in the UK

2) One of the sponsor requirements is to proof tenancy- so how do we prove this if we are living with parents in a rented house? What kind of documentation would work in this instance?

You would require a copy of the tenancy agreement, additional written permission from the landlord authorising your partner living there, and one from your parents agreeing to the arrangement and any costs (contribution to rent/council tax)

3) Does anyone know of a link to a template to the sponsor's letter of introduction/intent? Be good to have a model to work from?

Cant help with that one, wouldn't mind one myself lol

4) In terms of proving constant contact, would a print-out of the Skype calls work, or would that not be accepted? If not, what other method would work?

Yes, there is a program called Skype Call Exporter. Google it, it will pull your call history and provide it in Excel format. You can also screenshot a few conversations. Any other online methods, screenshot those also.
:-)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 26, 2012 12:39 pm

There is no sponsor's template. Every situation is different. Just explain your relationship in your own words.

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Re: A Couple more questions

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

SoHopeful wrote:
earthworm_gym wrote:Hey all,

You can send certified copies of official documents if you want to keep the originals. Solicitors can do this, cost varies depending on where you are in the UK

You would require a copy of the tenancy agreement, additional written permission from the landlord authorising your partner living there, and one from your parents agreeing to the arrangement and any costs (contribution to rent/council tax)

Cant help with that one, wouldn't mind one myself lol

Yes, there is a program called Skype Call Exporter. Google it, it will pull your call history and provide it in Excel format. You can also screenshot a few conversations. Any other online methods, screenshot those also.
:-)
With number 1, would standard photocopies not work? I don't want to pay extra to get a solicitor involved in this...

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat May 26, 2012 4:04 pm

no - do not send standard photocopie0s. If you don't want to have to pay for a solicitor or notary public to certify the documents then send the originals. what documents are you referring to exactly?

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Greenie wrote:no - do not send standard photocopie0s. If you don't want to have to pay for a solicitor or notary public to certify the documents then send the originals. what documents are you referring to exactly?
Birth certificates, Tenenacy agreement (since I live with parents in rented house, I don't have these) and Employment contract.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat May 26, 2012 4:07 pm

whose birth certificates?

If you don't have a tenancy agreement, then why are you sending one?

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sun May 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Greenie wrote:whose birth certificates?

If you don't have a tenancy agreement, then why are you sending one?
My birth certificate- it asks for that kind of proof for the sponsor.

Also, do we have to send our passport, or can we send a standard copy of that?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 pm

Where in the official guidance does it ask for the sponsor's birth certificate?
The passport copy must be legally certified. A standard copy won't be accepted.

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sun May 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Casa wrote:Where in the official guidance does it ask for the sponsor's birth certificate?
The passport copy must be legally certified. A standard copy won't be accepted.
Perhaps Im getting confused- can u link me to the page where it specifies a sponsor's requirements- I was going off UKBA website.

Sorry for constant questions- just want to get this right.

So am I better off sending my actual passport, or getting a certified copy?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun May 27, 2012 5:04 pm

You don't need your birth certificate. Assuming you are British a certified copy of the details page of your passport is all you need as evidence of your identity/nationality. Don't send a normal copy and don't send the actual passport.

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sun May 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Greenie wrote:You don't need your birth certificate. Assuming you are British a certified copy of the details page of your passport is all you need as evidence of your identity/nationality. Don't send a normal copy and don't send the actual passport.
How do I get a certified copy of British passport?