ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long must I be earning £20,000 p/a before applying?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ash2412
Newly Registered

How long must I be earning £20,000 p/a before applying?

Post by Ash2412 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi there, I have a quick question I was hoping to get help on.

I am currently on the PSW visa and my employer has just registered to be a sponsor..

The thing is, my salary will only increase to £20,000 p/a in June. Does this mean I can only apply for the switch to Tier 2 6 months AFTER I have been earning the required amount, i.e in December? Or can I apply for it before that? I have been working in the company since August 2011, albeit on a lower salary.

I have tried looking through the Tier 2 guidance document but cannot seem to find something specifically relating to this.

As a quick note, my PSW visa expires on the end of January 2013.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu May 10, 2012 7:19 pm

there is no requirement that you are being paid £20,000 for a certain period before applying as long as the CoS states that your pay will be at or above the appropriate rate.

there is no longer a requirement for PSW migrants to be working for an employer for 6 months in order to be exempt from the RLMT.

Have you checked the minimum pay requirement for your role in the codes of practice? - it is not sufficient to be paid £20k if the minimum pay for your role is higher than this in the CoP.

Ash2412
Newly Registered

Post by Ash2412 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Greenie wrote:there is no requirement that you are being paid £20,000 for a certain period before applying as long as the CoS states that your pay will be at or above the appropriate rate.

there is no longer a requirement for PSW migrants to be working for an employer for 6 months in order to be exempt from the RLMT.

Have you checked the minimum pay requirement for your role in the codes of practice? - it is not sufficient to be paid £20k if the minimum pay for your role is higher than this in the CoP.
Thank you for the quick reply Greenie. I don't quite understand what you're saying though..

Does this mean I do not need to complete a RLMT seeing as I have worked for 6 months? Or is it now compulsary?

Also, I work as an accountant, but I am not ACCA qualified, rather I am a business graduate with some finance background. Therefore my salary is not stated in the table of the CoP. The minimum that needs to be paid is £14,000 but that is for ACCA Level 1 qualified.

Edit: What I meant with my job title is I basically do the work of an accountant, and my job duties fit the duties of an NQF 6 Accountant; however, I am not qualified under the ACCA rather I have a Class 1 Honours Degree in Business.

jibri
BANNED

Post by jibri » Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 pm

I am almost in same condition as you. what i will advice you to do is to check your exemptions on ACCA as I checked and mine was nine so i am part acca qualified because i register with ACCA and got exemptions i think you should do same it will clear all doubts

Ash2412
Newly Registered

Post by Ash2412 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:50 pm

I read through the Tier 2 guidance again, it is stated there that I do not have to be qualified for the job in order to work. As long as the job is NQF6 (which it is) and I have the duties listed as part of it then its alright. I am hoping to get more clarity on this.