ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BOC - Malacca

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uk_freak
Newly Registered

BOC - Malacca

Post by uk_freak » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi,

I have been in the UK for almost 3 years, i wish to apply for the BOC. I just need some guidance. First thing is if i apply for the BOC will i lose my Malaysian Cizitenship?

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:48 pm

Could you just take us through the reasons why you believe you're qualified to be a BOC, uk-freak? Where and when you and father were born would be a start...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

uk_freak
Newly Registered

BOC malacca

Post by uk_freak » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:23 pm

My father was born in Malacca in 1952 and i have alredy called the nationality office today to comfirm my eligibilty to apply.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:33 pm

The IND website contains the following
2.11.1 The Constitution of the Federation of Malaysia provides that Malaysian citizens may by order be deprived of citizenship if:

• they have acquired citizenship of any country outside the Federation either by registration, naturalisation or other voluntary and formal act (Clause 24(1)); or
• they have voluntarily claimed and exercised, in a foreign country, any rights available to them under that country's laws where those rights are accorded exclusively to that country’s citizens (Clause 24(2))

2.11.2 Under Clause 24(3A) of the Constitution, a person is deemed to have claimed and exercised a right mentioned in Clause 24(2) if, after 10 October 1963, he or she either:

a. applies to the authorities of a place outside the Federation for the issue or renewal of a passport; or
b. uses a passport issued by the authorities of a place outside the Federation as a travel document

2.11.3 It had been our previous understanding, and the Malaysian government’s position, that acquisition of a BOC passport by a Malaysian citizen was sufficient justification for the deprivation of Malaysian citizenship.

2.11.4 However on 21 February 2005 in the case of Lee Thean Hock, Judicial Review number 25-64-2004 the Penang (Malaysia) High Court took a different view. The Court drew a distinction between the acquisition of a British citizen passport, which could justify deprivation under Article 24(2) of the Constitution, and the acquisition of a BOC passport, which could not.
So - unless/until the Lee Thean Hock case is superceded by another ruling, it looks as though your Malaysian citizenship is safe, in the event of your acquiring a BOC passport.

uk_freak
Newly Registered

BOC malacca

Post by uk_freak » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:38 pm

do i still require a visa if i have a BOC passport or can i just leave in UK with the BOC passport without any visa or work permit? is BOC is just a passport or it also means some kind of UK citizenship(not the BC).

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:55 pm

BOCs are "subject to control" under the Immigration Act 1971.

This means, essentially, that they have no more right to live in the UK than a citizen of any other "non-visa" country. They can visit the UK without a visa but they still need to meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules before they can do anything else in the UK.

You might like to browse through this thread, where the pros and cons were discussed at some length.

uk_freak
Newly Registered

Post by uk_freak » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:20 pm

thank your very much...