ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Foo
Newly Registered

BRP

Post by Foo » Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi all,

I currently have an issue with my BRP card.

I received my Visa Approval letter from UKBA and was wondering if it was possible to travel without one. I booked my ticket to travel on the 18th but I think my BRP got lost in the post and I do not think that a replacement card can be produced before that date.

Is there a proxy document that UKBA can produce to allow me to travel without one?

Can people on this forum share their experiences of travelling with no BRP?

Thanks!

psb

Post by psb » Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 pm

You may be refused boarding by the airline since you do not hold a visa/BRP. You would not have problems on arrival in the UK, a letter confirming your ILR is sufficient.

You should have your BRP by the 18th. Someone got it within four days.

I wont risk it if I were you.

Foo
Newly Registered

Post by Foo » Fri May 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks. Would this still be an issue if I do not need a visa to travel to the Uk for leisure?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 11, 2012 6:13 pm

If you enter UK as a non-visa national on visitor leave to enter, your continuous lawful residence as a PBS migrant will be broken.

This may be an issue if settlement is something you are aiming for.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Foo
Newly Registered

Post by Foo » Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

But if I show my approval letter at the border would this not mean I can enter the country as a tier 1 migrant?

Sorry for being a pain but I really need to travel and they have been holding me at ransom for months now.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Biometric residence permits - information leaflet wrote:The holder is not required to carry their permit at all times, but they must show it at the border, together with their passport, when travelling outside of, and when returning to, the United Kingdom.
Unless someone can confirm that entry is possible with an approval letter, and it is a practice followed by UKBA, IMHO, it's a risk not worth taking.

xp2012
Newly Registered

Post by xp2012 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:35 pm

What did you do in the end - did you opt to travel, or stay? (I have a similar problem - http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 367#643367)

Foo
Newly Registered

Post by Foo » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Well I will call them tomorrow to try and find out about my options.

Looking at your thread, if the brp gets lost you can get them to issue another document while you are abroad to enable you to come back in.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Foo wrote:Looking at your thread, if the brp gets lost you can get them to issue another document while you are abroad to enable you to come back in.
Which is (effectively a single-use-and-throw) entry clearance application (VAF9) and you will end up paying the entry clearance fees associated. Then, within one month of arrival you'll need to apply for a BRP and pay a small fee (again).

psb

Post by psb » Tue May 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Foo

Any luck with your BRP? Someone one got his within 4 days.

xp2012
Newly Registered

Post by xp2012 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:31 pm

FYI I just spoke to an immigration lawyer. Normally, BRPs arrive in 5 days, sometimes it can take up to 10 (used to be 2, but there's a delay currently). She doesn't advise travelling before you receive it, as it is not yet clear under new rules how that would work and will they allow entry if you left without the permit being issued - the home office does advise against it (under the old rules she had a client who did it once and had no problem - they had a third party send the permit to them in another country).