ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinate Leave to Remain [ILR] vs Spouse VIsa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Indefinate Leave to Remain [ILR] vs Spouse VIsa

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 12, 2012 11:02 am

Hi all,

So currently looking to bring my US Wife over to the UK to live with me.

I assume we would have to apply for the Spouse Visa and not the Indefinate leave to remain? I assume that comes later on?

Thanks all!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 12, 2012 11:21 am

Your wife will apply for a Spouse settlement visa, which under current regulations will grant her a 27 month probationary term before she is able to apply for permanent residence - ILR. If proposed changes to the Immigration rules are implemented, the probationary period would increase to 5 years before qualifying for ILR.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat May 12, 2012 11:24 am

Yes, after two years. The temporary residence period is a sham marriage filter. However, if you've already been married for 4 years, you can waive the two years and apply for immediate settlement (if you have passed the KOL test).

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat May 12, 2012 11:51 am

Casa wrote:Your wife will apply for a Spouse settlement visa, which under current regulations will grant her a 27 month probationary term before she is able to apply for permanent residence - ILR. If proposed changes to the Immigration rules are implemented, the probationary period would increase to 5 years before qualifying for ILR.
Are the proposed changes likely to come into effect, not that it matters mainly?

thanks for your help!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Please continue in the existing topic.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!