ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

THREE YEARS DISCRETIONARY LEAVE TO REMAIN

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fraternisation

THREE YEARS DISCRETIONARY LEAVE TO REMAIN

Post by fraternisation » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi all

A friend of mine recently got discretionary leave to remain after waiting for 7 years as an asylum seeker. Can you someone help me in knowing what kind of travel document he should apply for and what is the link for the application?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:22 pm

What is your friend's nationality? He would usually have to show he has been unreasonably refused a national passport in order to apply for a home office travel document.

fraternisation

he is

Post by fraternisation » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:35 am

he is iraqi was an asylum seeker for 7 years before getting the three years residency i thought people have the right to apply for travel document when they are a refugee without having to apply through their embassy how can he be a refugee if his embassy can provide him with a passport

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: he is

Post by Greenie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:16 am

fraternisation wrote:he is iraqi was an asylum seeker for 7 years before getting the three years residency i thought people have the right to apply for travel document when they are a refugee without having to apply through their embassy how can he be a refugee if his embassy can provide him with a passport
he is not a refugee-he has been given discretionary leave. They have not accepted he is at risk in his home country-only that it would be a breach of his right to a family and private life to be returned. He would need to apply for an Iraqi passport first as advised above.

fraternisation

hi there

Post by fraternisation » Sat May 12, 2012 11:08 am

thanks all for the replies. i decided to fill in the application for him and send it with some documents, statements and evidence to the home office and yesterday he received the travel certificate for one year. That was done without applying for the iraqi passport first.

However, what I would like to know know is this ........with this travel certificate being granted for one year only and it says not allowed to go to iraq does that mean he has to apply for a visa to every country he goes to? in particular we want to go to italy for a visit can he go without a visa any help would be appreciated. as i said the document is black colour one year travel certificate

fraternisation

help

Post by fraternisation » Tue May 15, 2012 7:06 am

anyone who can help please?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue May 15, 2012 9:14 am

According to the ukba website Italy endless not accept the certificate of travel as a valid travel document.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... eoftravel/

regarding visas-regardless of the duration of the travel document in general the holder of a certificate travel will need to obtain a visa to travel to a country that would usually require a national of That country to apply for a visa.

Would suggest your friend contacts the Italian embassy in the UK to find out whether they do accept the certificate of travel as a valid travel document and if so whether he needs a visa.

$uperman

Post by $uperman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:13 pm

I would recommend before arranging travel abroad make sure to contact to the certain country embassy to ask if they do accept certificate of travel but normally one who has been granted Refugee leave to remain can obtain Europe Convention Documents to travel certain EU countries , now since you have been granted discretionary leave and not the asylum then you can apply for the Travel Certificate
$uperman