ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language requirement- personal problem

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

laxani

English Language requirement- personal problem

Post by laxani » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:33 pm

Hi all,
I need to get my HSMP if possible by february 2007 hence would like to apply ASAP. I had IELTS band8 but that was done in 2003. I had TOEFL done in 2001.
I am having loads of problem getting the certificate from my University. I dont think they will include all the details asked for by HSMP.

My question to you guys is, will the TOEFL done in 2001 count? They dont seem to have the list of accepted alternatives to IELTS and are not answering emails specifically.

Also, can I furnish all the 3 evidences ( IELTS 2003, TOEFL 2001, letter stating that bachelor degree was english, but no comment on date of award of degree)

Thanks

lanr3e

Post by lanr3e » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:49 pm

Your IELTS certificate must not be more than 2 years except if you are applying for an extension of HSMP.

I will advise you retake the IELTS

laxani

Post by laxani » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:02 pm

Thanks for the above. I am trying to avoid retaking IELTS as the result wont be out before feb07 and I need to apply ASAP.
Will TOEFL taken in 2001 count as an alternative to IELTS? there is no obvious guideline online.
Thanks

lightbringer

Post by lightbringer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:06 pm

I am in the similar situation. The good news is that you still have 10 weeks even if you don't manage to pass the test before your visa expiry.

I called the HO recently and a lady told me that I should book the earliest available test and mention it in the lovering letter and they (HO) will suspend my application for a period up to 10 weeks until they receive the results of test.

So it is not that bad

lanr3e

Post by lanr3e » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:12 pm

But if you fail to meet the required pass mark i.e Bnd 6, you will not allowed to take the exam until 90days later i.e about 13 weeks If you do the exam just before your visa is about to run out, make sure you pass!!!

lightbringer

Post by lightbringer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:15 pm

agree... you only have one attempt.. By the way, this needs to be checked as well. I aseked about it the officer who did the booking for me and she told me that I can book and pass whatever number of tests I like. She said there is no such restriction.

I emailed this question to IELTS - lets see what they say

lightbringer

Post by lightbringer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 pm

Just got reply back from IELTS that 90 days requirement is no longer valid. You can book as many tests as you like!

lanr3e

Post by lanr3e » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:39 pm

Brilliant!!!! I guess we can fail as many times as we like within the 10 week grace!!!

Ashwin2005

Post by Ashwin2005 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:23 pm

[quote="lanr3e"]Brilliant!!!! I guess we can fail as many times as we like within the 10 week grace!!![/quote]

NO. Only one attempt is allowed within the 10 weeks grace period. If you fail in the first attempt within the grace period, your application will be refused.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: English Language requirement- personal problem

Post by pantaiema » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:41 pm

The reason why IELTS, TOEFL or similar english test have an expire date is that because, the assumption that one english languange MIGHT degrade if he is not continously living in english speaking countries.

That is why they ask you to sit for test again after 2 years.

Why they allow expire IELTS (over 2 years) for the people seeking HSMP extension ????
The people seeking extension must defenitely be living in UK.

The logic dictate that if 2 years ago your IELTS say 6.0 after 2 years of consecutive living 7 working in higly skilled job in the UK your english must improve and not the opposite.

Pantaiema

laxani wrote:Hi all,
I need to get my HSMP if possible by february 2007 hence would like to apply ASAP. I had IELTS band8 but that was done in 2003. I had TOEFL done in 2001.
I am having loads of problem getting the certificate from my University. I dont think they will include all the details asked for by HSMP.

My question to you guys is, will the TOEFL done in 2001 count? They dont seem to have the list of accepted alternatives to IELTS and are not answering emails specifically.

Also, can I furnish all the 3 evidences ( IELTS 2003, TOEFL 2001, letter stating that bachelor degree was english, but no comment on date of award of degree)

Thanks