ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tight dates on issued Schengen-Visas?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca.funke
Belgium

tight dates on issued Schengen-Visas?

Post by ca.funke » Mon May 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Did anyone receive a Schengen-Visa, where the validity is exactly as originally requested in the application?

My example is a Lebanese national, who applied with the Swiss Embassy in Beirut/Lebanon:
  • Suggested travel:
    • from May 12th until May 28th
    Visa issued:
    • May 12th until May 28th, validity 17 days
When collecting the passport, the applicant was handed a threatening leaflet outlining what will happen if the visa is overstayed. Very charming and inviting... (I´ll scan and post once I have it - you might guess that´ll be May 12th ;))

Does anyone know: What´s the point of the tight timeframe?

In Canada/Australia I remember very practical handling: Visit visas are usually valid from the day they are issued, "good for entry" for 6 months, and then allow to remain in the country for xx months from arrival. If I remember correctly the visas say something like:
(if it was issued today, on 07th May 2012) wrote:must arrive on or before: 06/November/2012 - permitted to remain in Australia for 03 months from arrival
So practical and easy to understand.

Why don´t they all do it?

Majeztic

Post by Majeztic » Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Hello Christian,

Yeah I have , in 2008 I had an interview for a job, The invitation letter stated that the interview would last for 5 days, on the application for the visa i wrote 10 days.When i got the visa it was exactly for 5 days, couldnt really believe it! it was a Schengen for Germany.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue May 08, 2012 11:53 pm

This seems common now.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Wed May 09, 2012 11:58 am

i will see how much did I get.I will be travelling to Germany soon. I know I don’t need a visa but I have some problems explaing the IO so I have asked them to give 90 days. Will update you later on

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Wed May 09, 2012 11:59 am

anyone above having eu eea partner???

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 14, 2012 6:45 pm

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27885818/ec/Ann ... de2009.pdf

Schengen Visa Code 2009
CHAPTER IV - Issuing of the visa
Article 24 - Issuing of a uniform visa

1. The period of validity of a visa and the length of the
authorised stay shall be based on the examination conducted
in accordance with Article 21.

A visa may be issued for one, two or multiple entries. The
period of validity shall not exceed five years.

In the case of transit, the length of the authorised stay shall
correspond to the time necessary for the purpose of the transit.

Without prejudice to Article 12(a), the period of validity of the
visa shall include an additional ‘period of grace’ of 15 days.

Member States may decide not to grant such a period of grace
for reasons of public policy or because of the international
relations of any of the Member States.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

ca.funke, I've had the same experience. I applied for a schengen visa last year and it was given for the number of days stated in my application - 7 days. Though I recall that the visa validity period was around 3 weeks.

Incidentally, I got a schengen visa around 10 years ago to travel around Europe for a month, and again my visa was issued for almost the exact time mentioned in the application - from what I recall it was based on the return date of my Eurostar ticket.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:02 am

I will be applying for the 1st time to the German embassy in July and will post my experience. I understand that they are not as generous as the French as far as visa validity goes.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri May 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Plum70 wrote:I will be applying for the 1st time to the German embassy in July and will post my experience. I understand that they are not as generous as the French as far as visa validity goes.
Why not just send your EEA family member application to them by post now? Do you even have to tell them when you will be in Germany and for how long?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
Plum70 wrote:I will be applying for the 1st time to the German embassy in July and will post my experience. I understand that they are not as generous as the French as far as visa validity goes.
Why not just send your EEA family member application to them by post now? Do you even have to tell them when you will be in Germany and for how long?
It's going to be a tight schedule: My current Schengen visa expires end of July, can't apply for another until it expires and i'm in Berlin end of August (and I know that I shouldn't have booked my flight until after obtaining a visa but good fares are vanishing fast). Postal applications may take up to 3 weeks to process so I don't want to risk having to cancel my vacation if the embassy delays, hence why i'll be applying in person.

Also the German Embassy requires that applicants (including family members of EU/EEA/EFTA citizens) provide an address in Germany. I am also happy to provide my travel dates if it encourages a speedy process (in line with what the regulations have laid down). I'll also request a multiple entry for 6 months but don't 100% expect that this will be granted.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri May 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Plum70 wrote:My current Schengen visa expires end of July, can't apply for another until it expires
Why is that? Surely you should be able to apply now for a visa for dates after your current one expires.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Jambo wrote:
Plum70 wrote:My current Schengen visa expires end of July, can't apply for another until it expires
Why is that? Surely you should be able to apply now for a visa for dates after your current one expires.
I understood (think from the French Embassy site) that one couldn't physically present themselves or apply at an Embassy requesting a Schengen visa until after the expiration of the current; I may have read it wrong?

Anyway, the German Embassy is currently restructuring the visa service (outsourcing to VFS I think) with no available appointments beyond May. Either way, I have to wait.

P.S: Or is anyone certain that if i applied now by post, and all working in my favour including dates of my trip, i'd be issued one valid from say August onwards?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat May 19, 2012 2:30 am

I don't understand why you have to wait.

You are a family member of an EU citizen. The Germans are particularly good at dealing with such people. Just submit an application by post. What do you have to loose?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:34 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I don't understand why you have to wait.

You are a family member of an EU citizen. The Germans are particularly good at dealing with such people. Just submit an application by post. What do you have to loose?
Besides the cost of two prepaid SD envelopes :D, I want to be somewhat certain (as can be) that if I were to send an application now with all relevant docs and dates of travel that:

1. The Embassy, in issuing a new visa, will not cancel my existing one as I need it for a trip next month.

2. Will issue one from August onwards preferably for up to 6 months. (I can only ask and see) and

3. Make a decision before my trip on 21 June.

I'll quite babbling and just send a postal application this week and if by 2nd week in June I hear nothing back, then i'll retract it.

Thanks

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sun May 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Plum70 wrote:I understood (think from the French Embassy site) that one couldn't physically present themselves or apply at an Embassy requesting a Schengen visa until after the expiration of the current; I may have read it wrong?
Hi Plum70,
I hope that the following is relevant. From what I understand it should be?
Rgds, Christian
Community Code on Visas (Visa Code) wrote:CHAPTER II
Application
Article 9
Practical modalities for lodging an application
1. Applications shall be lodged no more than three months
before the start of the intended visit. Holders of a multiple-entry
visa may lodge the application before the expiry of the visa
valid for a period of at least six months.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:10 pm

ca.funke wrote:
Plum70 wrote:I understood (think from the French Embassy site) that one couldn't physically present themselves or apply at an Embassy requesting a Schengen visa until after the expiration of the current; I may have read it wrong?
Hi Plum70,
I hope that the following is relevant. From what I understand it should be?
Rgds, Christian
Community Code on Visas (Visa Code) wrote:CHAPTER II
Application
Article 9
Practical modalities for lodging an application
1. Applications shall be lodged no more than three months
before the start of the intended visit. Holders of a multiple-entry
visa may lodge the application before the expiry of the visa
valid for a period of at least six months.
Most helpful - thanks.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 20, 2012 10:14 pm

good covering letter required...

Plum, you have residence card, hope you can use that if things don't work out with visa.

Best of luck.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:59 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:good covering letter required...
I have already included one with my application clarifying that my dates of travel are from August onwards (since my current visa is still valid till end of July). Also provided my address in Berlin...FMs of EU/EEA/EFTA nationals are exempt from answering this on the form but the German Embassy website requests this as one of the pieces of info needed for postal applications by EU FMs.
Plum, you have residence card, hope you can use that if things don't work out with visa.
I am travelling solo this time so definitely need a visa.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Plum70 wrote: I have already included one with my application clarifying that my dates of travel are from August onwards (since my current visa is still valid till end of July). Also provided my address in Berlin...FMs of EU/EEA/EFTA nationals are exempt from answering this on the form but the German Embassy website requests this as one of the pieces of info needed for postal applications by EU FMs.
Hopefully that will do the trick!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I don't understand why you have to wait.

So, as I thought, I have wasted £12.40 in SD postage. My application and docs were returned today by the German Embassy unprocessed with a note advising to reapply closer to my current visa's expiry.

At least I tried and was proved correct in my understanding that one cannot apply too far in advance of a visa's validity.

Thanks everyone for the input nonetheless and I will post back the results of my 2nd attempt later this Summer.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:23 pm

My second postal application yielded positive results but mixed feelings:

I only got a visa for 3 month MULT (30 days stay in total) from 25 July - 24 October - the shortest i've ever had - and my disappointment is multiple fold:

I was hoping that based on my previous visa of 3 years, the Germans would be inclined to issue one of at least 1 year.

With my passport expiring in July '13 I wanted to maximise this period by having one visa for the remainder time. Don't see why they didn't do so.

I would now need to make multiple applications for trips further than 25 October which means added cost (transport, processing fees) and time spent + possibly shorter validities the closer my passport gets to expiry.

Not happy...

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 pm

You are applying for a German schengen visa? Why not do it by post?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You are applying for a German schengen visa? Why not do it by post?
I did do by post Directive and it cost me roughly £32.00 - £18 compulsory service charge fee + additional postal order fee (VFS state to pay by PO) and £7.40 for courier return.

This structure is growing in embassies using an intermediary service so future postal applications will cost considerably more.