ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice Please: Surinder Singh Case. Applying for RC/EEA2

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DennisB
Newly Registered

Advice Please: Surinder Singh Case. Applying for RC/EEA2

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 5:05 am

Hi everyone,

Great forum. I've been reading all the advice. Some quite helpful to me and lots of interesting experiences, but I have a few worries still.

Background: I am British. My wife is from the US, so non-EU. Lived and worked together (employed, not self-employed) in Spain for 3 years. Got EU Family Permit to move to UK in September 2011, under the Singh rules. For various reasons, mainly my changing work and waiting for payslips, plus continued confusion about some points including conflicting information between the 'help' line and the UKBA website, we haven't applied for RC with the EEA2 form yet. Please note, I was working from November to March full time, then March to now as a temp., contracted out to different companies, almost on a fulltime basis.

So these are my questions.

1) is applying over 2 months after FP expired much a problem (for the RC application)? The UKBA website says the spouse of an EEA national doesn't HAVE to apply, but obviously it helps for travelling and getting work.

2) I now understand I have to prove, again, that I was exercising my EU rights in Spain and living with my wife. Though I get the feeling that they are stricter here on what they accept language-wise for proof. I translated many of our payslips last time (for the FP). And eventually found out I could just get and take a record from my employer, or the equivalent of DWP, showing how many hours I'd worked, what tax I had paid, what I had earnt, etc.. And that was fine. I have a nice letter in English from my employer, but is there anything else you would suggest I produce to prove I worked, please?

3) Have I missed anything, please? Could anyone envision any other problems please?

Thanks for your help.

Oliver

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 13, 2012 7:23 am

1) Not a problem. Under the EEA regulations, unlike domestic immigration rules, residence rights are derived automatically from the actions of the EEA nationals. There is no need to ask permission from the Home Office. She can apply for a Residence Card whenever she wish. There is no need to apply before the EEA Family Permit “expires”.

2) I don't think the HO is more strict in terms of translations than the consulate (although the consulate staff is more likely to be able to read Spanish) . I would add some payslips (with your translation) just as back up.

In general, if the evidence was good enough for the FP, it should be good enough for the Residence Card.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Advice Please: Surinder Singh Case. Applying for RC/EEA2

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 10:47 am

OliB wrote:...For various reasons, mainly my changing work and waiting for payslips...
For Singh cases I understood that the returning EU national does not have to be employed in order for their spouse to qualify for a residence card, but I can't find definitive reference.

Is that the confusion you were referring to?

See also this thread http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ight=singh

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 11:01 am

OliB wrote: 1) is applying over 2 months after FP expired much a problem (for the RC application)? The UKBA website says the spouse of an EEA national doesn't HAVE to apply, but obviously it helps for travelling and getting work.
This won't be a problem for the residence card. I take it that your wife is a US citizen. If so, traveling will be less of a problem for her. Does she want to work? If so, residence card will help.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 11:04 am

OliB wrote: 2) I now understand I have to prove, again, that I was exercising my EU rights in Spain and living with my wife. Though I get the feeling that they are stricter here on what they accept language-wise for proof. I translated many of our payslips last time (for the FP). And eventually found out I could just get and take a record from my employer, or the equivalent of DWP, showing how many hours I'd worked, what tax I had paid, what I had earnt, etc.. And that was fine. I have a nice letter in English from my employer, but is there anything else you would suggest I produce to prove I worked, please?
I would suggest that what you used to apply for family permit will suffice for residence card. Do you still have your Spanish residence documentation or did you have to surrender them?

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Jambo wrote:1) Not a problem. Under the EEA regulations, unlike domestic immigration rules, residence rights are derived automatically from the actions of the EEA nationals. There is no need to ask permission from the Home Office. She can apply for a Residence Card whenever she wish. There is no need to apply before the EEA Family Permit “expires”.

2) I don't think the HO is more strict in terms of translations than the consulate (although the consulate staff is more likely to be able to read Spanish) . I would add some payslips (with your translation) just as back up.

In general, if the evidence was good enough for the FP, it should be good enough for the Residence Card.
Thank you Jambo. That's reassuring. So do you think a letter from my manager and say, 6 months of payslips and translations will suffice? The only other problem with this is that we never received 'phyiscal' copies'. Just PDFs. Their idea of a physical copy was to print it off themselves!

I hope that isn't a problem...?

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 12:26 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
OliB wrote:...For various reasons, mainly my changing work and waiting for payslips...
For Singh cases I understood that the returning EU national does not have to be employed in order for their spouse to qualify for a residence card, but I can't find definitive reference.

Thank you for replying EUsmileWEallsmile. I read about that last night, but it sounded like UKBA wasn't fully on top of that, and might still think I'm required to be working - so I since I have been working I was going to supply payslips still and a contract. So no, sorry, this wasn't what I was refering to. I was more worried about 1) FP having expered and 2) re-proving that a) I worked in Spain and b) we lived together there.

Thank you for that link. I was looking at it last night, though the thread is a little confusing.

Thanks again EUsmileWEallsmile.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 13, 2012 12:31 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:

Eind (C-291/05)
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 12:32 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: I would suggest that what you used to apply for family permit will suffice for residence card. Do you still have your Spanish residence documentation or did you have to surrender them?
Thank you again EUsmileWEallsmile.

My wife has her Spanish Residence Card, still. And I have a green piece of paper confirming my residence in Spain and incuding my ID number (NIE) - in other words, what EU citizens get given in Spain now instead of a residence card. Both include our ID numbers (NIEs). Is this what you mean?

Thank you

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 13, 2012 12:38 pm

See also 3.11.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 12:42 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: I would suggest that what you used to apply for family permit will suffice for residence card.
For the FP, at the last minute I realised the wanted this 'record of work, tax contributions and unemployment benefits received' that the state supplies. Though I think there wasn't much time, my employer provided me with a mini version was just concerened with my activity with them.

I didn't have time to translate that before. If I used that last time, but this time just use (printed) payslips and letter from employer, do you think that will suffice please? Furthermore, I think I have a letter from the bank each time I was paid that might even be in English! I'm just digging through my paperwork.

Thanks!

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 12:47 pm

vinny wrote:See also 3.11.
Thank you. I wasn't asking about that, but I was a little concerned, as you may have picked up in my initial post! So that is reassuring too. Thank you.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 1:52 pm

OliB wrote: My wife has her Spanish Residence Card, still. And I have a green piece of paper confirming my residence in Spain and incuding my ID number (NIE) - in other words, what EU citizens get given in Spain now instead of a residence card. Both include our ID numbers (NIEs). Is this what you mean?

Thank you
To me that pretty much demonstrates that you lived together in Spain.

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 2:00 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
OliB wrote: My wife has her Spanish Residence Card, still. And I have a green piece of paper confirming my residence in Spain and incuding my ID number (NIE) - in other words, what EU citizens get given in Spain now instead of a residence card. Both include our ID numbers (NIEs). Is this what you mean?

Thank you
To me that pretty much demonstrates that you lived together in Spain.
Thank you EUsmileWEallsmile.

Although I admit I was hoping she could hold on to her Spanish ID card whilst UKBA have our passports, so she still has SOME form of ID. I have a battered old passport at least.

Oh, but she has her US driver's license. So maybe it'll be fine. Thanks again

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm

If you need your passports, you can ask for them to be returned immediately (ie home office receive your application, have sight of passport, copy it no doubt and stick it straight back in the post).

Be aware that if you do that you will get a residence card on a piece of A4 paper.

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Thank you

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Guys,

Appreciate your help so far. So if I send my wife's Spanish Residence card (which also has my name and our old Spanish address on it). And my Residence 'Scroll'. Do you think I'll need get them translated too?

Thanks again.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 10:00 pm

OliB wrote:Guys,

Appreciate your help so far. So if I send my wife's Spanish Residence card (which also has my name and our old Spanish address on it). And my Residence 'Scroll'. Do you think I'll need get them translated too?

Thanks again.
These have been issued by another EU country. They have your names on them. I'm not going to predict what UKBA might do, but I would have thought that their purpose was pretty obvious, ie that you lived in Spain with your wife.

Long and the short of it, I would not have them translated, but would create hell of a fuss if they weren't accepted - especially since your wife already has a family permit.

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Brilliant. I mean, that sounds like common sense, dosen't it?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 pm

OliB wrote:...common sense, dosen't it...
My experience is that one should not try to analyse too much. Present the information you have and deal with it if more is requested. Of course I don't mean to say that one should apply with insufficient information.

You have a story, you have evidence, just present it. You'll be fine.

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Thank you. I know what you mean. I just hear so many stories about people not having evidence of this and that, and getting rejected. Thanks for your help.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 pm

OliB wrote:Thank you. I know what you mean. I just hear so many stories about people not having evidence of this and that, and getting rejected. Thanks for your help.
I think you'll be fine, especially as you have a family permit already. Best of luck, no matter what happens!

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Sun May 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Thank you!

DennisB
Newly Registered

Post by DennisB » Wed May 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Ok, little update.. a worrying one.
Still finishing putting together residence card apllication (EEA2).
My wife's CRB checks cleared for her to work for a particular employer but they were concerned that her FP had expired and apparently they called the UKBA (I'm not sure how as the only numbers I find are outsourced call centers) who told them she was only able to work with 5 year residence card and she should have applied whilst FP was valid.

Now I understand its in their interest (employer's) to ask for Res cards, but how can ukba or anyone tell them that she shouldnt work and should have requested a res card by now? ..acc. to everything I've understood.

Yours, confused and worried.

O

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Her rights are derived from you, not from the validity of her EEA family permit.
EUN2.20 What are the visa endorsements for EEA family permits wrote:After entry to the UK the holder can apply to the Home Office for a residence card. A residence card (an endorsement in the holder's passport) enables the holder to re-enter the UK without the need for an EEA family permit for as long as they are the family member of an EEA national with a right of residence in the UK. A residence card, which is normally valid for five years, is simply a confirmation of the holder's right of residence in the UK - it is not a compulsory requirement. See further guidance on applying for residence cards.