ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship, child born in Ireland to EU parents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

docteurbenway

Irish citizenship, child born in Ireland to EU parents

Post by docteurbenway » Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 am

Hi everyone,

i have a question that is rather unclear to me within the Irish nationality law.

The revised version of the Irish nationality law states that a child born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 and one of the parents was an Irish or British citizen, or if either of the parents was entitled to reside in the State or Northern Ireland without any restrictions on his or her residence, then they have an entitlement to Irish citizenship.

Does the sentence marked in bold mean that a child born in Ireland to EU/EEA citizens immediately becomes Irish?

Or does the rule that you have to have been living in Ireland for 3 out of the 4 previous years apply to EU citizens as well?

If anyone had experience with this or knows the law and the practical application of it please help me clarify this.

Thank you.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 5:10 pm

docteurbenway

Post by docteurbenway » Sat May 19, 2012 5:35 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Does this clarify matters for you?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/mo ... scent.html
Not particularly, i read all that and thus posted the question, so could you please clarify?

Thanks

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat May 19, 2012 6:25 pm

that rule applies to everyone, where at least one parent is not Irish or British. Meaning, if one of the parents is e.g. French or Latvian, they have to prove residency in the state for 3 out of 4 years before their child born in Ireland qualifies for Irish citizenship.

docteurbenway

Post by docteurbenway » Sat May 19, 2012 8:29 pm

agniukas wrote:that rule applies to everyone, where at least one parent is not Irish or British. Meaning, if one of the parents is e.g. French or Latvian, they have to prove residency in the state for 3 out of 4 years before their child born in Ireland qualifies for Irish citizenship.
Well that is what i initially thought, but then in the FAQs page of the Irish Immigration and Nat. Services it says:

"or if either of the parents was entitled to reside in the State or Northern Ireland without any restrictions on his or her residence", from that sentence one can deduce that EU citizens apply directly since there are no restrictions on their residence period in the state. Hence the thread.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat May 19, 2012 9:44 pm

docteurbenway wrote:

Not particularly, i read all that and thus posted the question, so could you please clarify?

Thanks
EU citizens (other than Irish or British) have restrictions (they need to be exercising treaty rights). The restriction time limit is less than that required to achieve PR.

docteurbenway

Post by docteurbenway » Sun May 20, 2012 12:49 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
docteurbenway wrote:

Thanks
EU citizens (other than Irish or British) have restrictions (they need to be exercising treaty rights). The restriction time limit is less than that required to achieve PR.
Ok so lets say a French man and his Dutch wife have just arrived in Ireland two days ago, a month later the French man found a job at lets say at McDonalds and the wife enrolls into university, 9 months later they have a kid, is the kid automatically Irish?

Since they are both exercising their rights and thus no longer have restrictions.

Or do they still have to wait for 3 years?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun May 20, 2012 2:00 pm

docteurbenway wrote: Since they are both exercising their rights and thus no longer have restrictions.
The "restrictions" are that they need to be exercising treaty rights, so no in the example you quoted, no citizenship.

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Mon May 21, 2012 2:09 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
docteurbenway wrote: Since they are both exercising their rights and thus no longer have restrictions.
The "restrictions" are that they need to be exercising treaty rights, so no in the example you quoted, no citizenship.
EUsmileWEallsmile,

Now I am "almost" confused too :)

But in the examples given, they are exercising EuTR and are therefore not under any "restriction" technically?

However, they still need to have been in Ireland for at least 3years inspite of the EuTR?

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon May 21, 2012 5:51 pm

i can tell how it actually works. I know a couple. one is EU national, another non EU national. EU national was a couple of weeks short till 3 years of residence in the state prior to the birth of their child, thus child didnt get irish citizenship, just the citizenship of the EU parent. Non EU national's residence in the state was even shorter.
So how it actually works is that unless one of the parents is irish or british, one of the parents, even if it's EU national, has to be resident in the state for at least 3 years prior to the birth of the child.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 pm

adlexy wrote:...exercising EuTR and are therefore not under any "restriction" technically...
Having to exercise treaty rights is a "restriction" of sorts.

They need to comply with the nationality residence times.

dania

Post by dania » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

adlexy wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile,

Now I am "almost" confused too :)

But in the examples given, they are exercising EuTR and are therefore not under any "restriction" technically?
they need to prove the three years residency and this rule applies to all eu national expect british and irish

However, they still need to have been in Ireland for at least 3years inspite of the EuTR?
"The world suffers a lot.Not because of the violence of bad people,but because of the silence of good people!" [Napolean]

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Irish citizenship, child born in Ireland to EU parents

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 25, 2012 12:05 pm

docteurbenway wrote:Hi everyone,

i have a question that is rather unclear to me within the Irish nationality law.

The revised version of the Irish nationality law states that a child born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 and one of the parents was an Irish or British citizen, or if either of the parents was entitled to reside in the State or Northern Ireland without any restrictions on his or her residence, then they have an entitlement to Irish citizenship.

Does the sentence marked in bold mean that a child born in Ireland to EU/EEA citizens immediately becomes Irish?

Or does the rule that you have to have been living in Ireland for 3 out of the 4 previous years apply to EU citizens as well?

If anyone had experience with this or knows the law and the practical application of it please help me clarify this.

Thank you.
mods please delete error

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 pm

docteurbenway wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
docteurbenway wrote:

Thanks
Ok so lets say a French man and his Dutch wife have just arrived in Ireland two days ago, a month later the French man found a job at lets say at McDonalds and the wife enrolls into university, 9 months later they have a kid, is the kid automatically Irish?

Since they are both exercising their rights and thus no longer have restrictions.

No, the child is not an Irish Citizen

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 25, 2012 12:09 pm

docteurbenway wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
docteurbenway wrote:

Thanks

No, the child is not an Irish Citizen automatically