ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit - urgent help pls

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nayak
BANNED

Child Benefit - urgent help pls

Post by nayak » Sat May 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Dear all,

My wife and I are on a TIER 1 visa (hsmp JR) which does not have recourse to public funds (Indian nationals). My daughter was born a year ago and although my wife had filled in the HMRC application correctly saying she is under immigration control, she was still awarded child benefit.(I personally feel that application should not have been filled in the first place). The money has been coming in to her account. I became aware of this when filling in our ILR application form last week and she immediately stopped the CB. Our visa expires in 10 days (1st June 2012) and I dont think we have enough time (although I am happy to pay in a lumpsum) to complete repayment (complex process?) before applying for ILR.

Do you know whether if previously working in Canada would change the CB situation in any way? I remember Greenie mentioning something to this effect on the forum.

I was not planning on drawing the caseworker's attention to this and was planning on answering 'no' to the question - 'are you receiving any public funds?'. I think it would be an honest answer because I as a main applicant have never received it and secondly even my wife is currently not receiving it. Do you feel this is ok? My wife's national insurance number is not on the application form (although I will have to submit her and child's passports as this is going to be a joint application)

Please could you advise me what you did with your situation and did it affect your application? Any help would be gratefully received. I know there have been some discussions regarding similar issues but I could not find the exact situation like we were in. John and other seniors, please help.
Many thanks,
PN
Last edited by nayak on Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dagger20091
Newly Registered

Re: Child Benefit - urgent help pls

Post by dagger20091 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:59 pm

nayak wrote:Dear all,

My wife and I are on a TIER 1 visa (hsmp JR) which does not have recourse to public funds (Indian nationals). My daughter was born a year ago and although my wife had filled in the HMRC application correctly saying she is under immigration control, she was still awarded child benefit.(I personally feel that application should not have been filled in the first place). The money has been coming in to her account. I became aware of this when filling in our ILR application form last week and she immediately stopped the CB. Our visa expires in 10 days (1st June 2012) and I dont think we have enough time (although I am happy to pay in a lumpsum) to complete repayment (complex process?) before applying for ILR.

Do you know whether if previously working in Canada would change the CB situation in any way? I remember Greenie mentioning something to this effect on the forum.

I was not planning on drawing the caseworker's attention to this and was planning on answering 'no' to the question - 'are you receiving any public funds?'. I think it would be an honest answer because I as a main applicant have never received it and secondly even my wife is currently not receiving it. Do you feel this is ok? My wife's national insurance number is not on the application form (although I will have to submit her and child's passports as this is going to be a joint application)

Please could you advise me what you did with your situation and did it affect your application? Any help would be gratefully received. I know there have been some discussions regarding similar issues but I could not find the exact situation like we were in. John and other seniors, please help.
Many thanks,
PN
I would say declare it Yes and be honest ,if you don't declare it and Home Office find it then it could be big problem.