ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

7 year student visa + 3 year dependant visa = 10 year ILR?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Steph
Newly Registered

7 year student visa + 3 year dependant visa = 10 year ILR?

Post by Steph » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Dear all,

I found this forum is extremly helpful, pls somebody kindly give me assistance for my situation, thanks!

I've been in the UK for 10 continual years. For the first 7 years I was under a student visa, and then under a dependant visa for the latest 3 years. My question is: am i entitled to apply for ILR under 10 year rule?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JAJ
Australia

Re: 7 year student visa + 3 year dependant visa = 10 year IL

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:32 pm

Steph wrote: I've been in the UK for 10 continual years. For the first 7 years I was under a student visa, and then under a dependant visa for the latest 3 years. My question is: am i entitled to apply for ILR under 10 year rule?
Any legal residence in the UK should be acceptable for the 10 year rule.

Steph
Newly Registered

Post by Steph » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:46 pm

Thanks JAJ, You are always so helpful!

marshaholly
Newly Registered

similar question

Post by marshaholly » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:34 am

Hello, Thought it would make most sense to just add-on to this discussion, as I have a similar question...

I have been a student in the UK for the last five years - I completed both A Levels & Undergraduate studies there. I have returned to my home country temporarily, as my student visa expired and I could not acquire sponsored employment in time.

I am hoping to return on the WHV sometime soon - will my absence in the UK affect the possibility of acquiring permanent residency after 10 years?

Please help, if you have any thoughts on the subject. Cheers!

neilroy

Post by neilroy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:00 am

Yes. the new clock will start when u enter the country with WHM visa.

marshaholly
Newly Registered

thank you!

Post by marshaholly » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:33 pm

aww shucks...that sure is poo
:?

thanks for the quick response though!

x

virulo
Newly Registered

how many years more do i need?

Post by virulo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:42 pm

hi there!

I've been 4 years in the UK, three of them doing my PhD with a student visa, and one with a work permit...

how many years more do i need to get ILR in the UK?

Thanks for your help!

meggles

Post by meggles » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 pm

you need to be here for (5) years on settlement visa. since studnet time doesn't count...

you need to be here on WP for (5) years for ILR.

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:19 pm

hi there,

Question again regarding ILR under 10 years long residency basis. What happnened was, my partner is planning to apply for ILR at the end of Dec, he has all the old passports here. but i just realised, he has a small gap between the 10 years. He entered UK on 13/01/1997, first student visa expired on oct 1998, then he got another student visa till april 1999, then he went back home for holiday for around 2 months, when he returned to start his university, he was given student visa which started from june 1999 till end of 2000, and then the rest all connected to each other. so, i was wondering, the two months he was out of the country for holiday, how does that affect his ILR application? pls help