ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T1General Extension: Points for my Bachelors Degree?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mbasmart

T1General Extension: Points for my Bachelors Degree?

Post by mbasmart » Tue May 22, 2012 12:07 pm

I had a question and I was just wondering if seniors would be able to help me please. I applied for HSMP on 07/02/2008. This application was rejected and I requested for a review. Review was successful and I got HSMP approval on 23 December 2008. By that time, HSMP scheme had been closed. So, I went to Pakistan and applied for entry clearance under Tier1 General. I WAS AWARDED 30 POINTS FOR MY DEGREE (It is a Pakistani Masters degree which is equivalent to UK Bachelors degree). I got 3 years 'Tier 1 General' visa in October 2009 and I came back to UK in 2009 and have been living in UK ever since.

Now, my Tier 1 General extension is due in October 2012. I just wanted to ask you that in Oct 2012, when I would apply for extension, which rules will apply on me? The rules that were applicable before 28 February 2008 or the current rules? If the current rules are applicable on me, then will I get any points for the bachelor's degree that I have? (Because I've read somewhere that they dont award any points for bachelor degree anymore). Your reply shall be highly appreciated...

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Re: T1General Extension: Points for my Bachelors Degree?

Post by silent_warrior » Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 pm

mbasmart wrote:I had a question and I was just wondering if seniors would be able to help me please. I applied for HSMP on 07/02/2008. This application was rejected and I requested for a review. Review was successful and I got HSMP approval on 23 December 2008. By that time, HSMP scheme had been closed. So, I went to Pakistan and applied for entry clearance under Tier1 General. I WAS AWARDED 30 POINTS FOR MY DEGREE (It is a Pakistani Masters degree which is equivalent to UK Bachelors degree). I got 3 years 'Tier 1 General' visa in October 2009 and I came back to UK in 2009 and have been living in UK ever since.

Now, my Tier 1 General extension is due in October 2012. I just wanted to ask you that in Oct 2012, when I would apply for extension, which rules will apply on me? The rules that were applicable before 28 February 2008 or the current rules? If the current rules are applicable on me, then will I get any points for the bachelor's degree that I have? (Because I've read somewhere that they dont award any points for bachelor degree anymore). Your reply shall be highly appreciated...
The same rules as that for your initial tier 1 General application will apply for you. And Yes you will get points for your bachelors degreee as well. Additionally you will get the same points for your age as that scored in your initial application

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Tue May 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks very much indeed for your reply. It is very much appreciated.

I have still got some doubt, if you could please clarify. There is a sentence at UKBA website (and also in the points calculator) which says that "You will score no points for a bachelor's degree if, under the Immigration Rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010:
1. you were given permission to enter the UK under Tier 1 (General); or
2. you were given permission to switch into Tier 1 (General) from an immigration category other than those listed above"

Since I was granted entry clearance under Tier1 general in October 2009, this makes me a bit worried. Could you please clarify who does the above provision regarding bachelor's degree apply to?

Thanks for your help once again.

Regards...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue May 22, 2012 7:55 pm

mbasmart wrote:Thanks very much indeed for your reply. It is very much appreciated.

I have still got some doubt, if you could please clarify. There is a sentence at UKBA website (and also in the points calculator) which says that "You will score no points for a bachelor's degree if, under the Immigration Rules in place between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010:
1. you were given permission to enter the UK under Tier 1 (General); or
2. you were given permission to switch into Tier 1 (General) from an immigration category other than those listed above"

Since I was granted entry clearance under Tier1 general in October 2009, this makes me a bit worried. Could you please clarify who does the above provision regarding bachelor's degree apply to?

As silent_warrior has mentioned, because you were granted points for your Bachelors degree when you initially applied for your Tier 1 General visa, you will be able to claim points for the same when extending it.

With regards to the quote above, it referrs to the change made to the PBS rules for Tier 1 General applications made (I.e. this is the date the application was submitted, not the date it was approved.) between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010. Any applications submitted within this period were not allowed to claim points for a Bachelors degree. I myself applied before 31 March 2009 so am familiar with this particular change to the Tier 1 rules.

From your original post I did not quite gather what date you submitted your initial Tier 1 General application. I presume it would have been outside the date range mentioned above (Here I mean the date you applied, not the date your visa was approved)?

Thanks for your help once again.

Regards...

mbasmart

Post by mbasmart » Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks very much cs95tdg...

I was in UK on a student visa when I applied for HSMP on 07/02/2008. This application was refused and I requested for a review (sometime in July 2008 I guess). Review was successful and I got HSMP approval letter on 23 December 2008. By that time, HSMP scheme had been closed. My HSMP approval letter stated that I could apply for Entry Clearance under Tier1 General. So, I went back to Pakistan and applied for entry clearance under Tier1 General on June 19, 2009. What worries me is the fact that I applied for EC under T1General on June 19, 2009 (which is CLEARLY between the tenure of 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010). I got entry clearance under T1General on October 6, 2009. But as I said, I had got my HSMP APPROVAL LETTER on Dec 23, 2008.

Now, I'm quite clear (thanks to your reply), that the 'No points for bachelors degree' rule will not apply to me. If you would like to make any further comment, it'll be highly appreciated...

Cheers.

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 pm

mbasmart wrote:Thanks very much cs95tdg...

I was in UK on a student visa when I applied for HSMP on 07/02/2008. This application was refused and I requested for a review (sometime in July 2008 I guess). Review was successful and I got HSMP approval letter on 23 December 2008. By that time, HSMP scheme had been closed. My HSMP approval letter stated that I could apply for Entry Clearance under Tier1 General. So, I went back to Pakistan and applied for entry clearance under Tier1 General on June 19, 2009. What worries me is the fact that I applied for EC under T1General on June 19, 2009 (which is CLEARLY between the tenure of 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010). I got entry clearance under T1General on October 6, 2009. But as I said, I had got my HSMP APPROVAL LETTER on Dec 23, 2008.

Now, I'm quite clear (thanks to your reply), that the 'No points for bachelors degree' rule will not apply to me. If you would like to make any further comment, it'll be highly appreciated...

Cheers.
Yes and because of point which states that No point for bachelor's given(ii) ii) his previous entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain before that leave was not as a Highly skilled Migrant, as a Writer, Composer or artist, as a self-employed lawyer, or as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant.
But your previous entry was Highly Skilled, so Yes for bachelor points
Goodluck!