ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lastlap
Newly Registered

British passport application

Post by lastlap » Sun May 20, 2012 11:01 am

Hi,

Started filling up the passport application form some days back (had even posted some query(s) related to this issue on this forum approx. a week back, but could not complete filling the form owing to extreme work pressure).... now have 2-3 more query(s) related to the passport application. Would be grateful if someone could please answer them. Intend submitting the passport application sometime next week.

1(a). Anyone got their G.P. to be a counter signatory? It is not on the list of counter signatories.

1(b). I had used my G.P. as one of the references when sending my application for the citizenship. Since the processing of the citizenship application and the passport application, perhaps, are handled by two different departments, any issues making the same G.P. (as used for reference for the citizenship application), also a counter signatory when applying for a passport?

2. In the instructions for paying the fees by credit card or debit card, the booklet accompanying the passport application form says 'if you are having an appointment, do not fill in this form' (page 23 of the booklet 'a guide to filling in your passport application form'). So does this mean people who are applying for a passport for the first time through the post office cannot pay the passport application fees of £77.50 at the post office, if opting for a 'check and send service' facility and just pay £8.75 to the post office (and the passport application fees of £77.50 at the Home Office)?

3. Any real advantage for applying for a 48-page passport (I mean, apart from the obvious that a 48-page passport may be useful for people who are really frequently flyers)?
Last edited by lastlap on Sun May 20, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 20, 2012 11:19 am

1(a) Doctors are fine.
1(b) Not an issue using same referee from naturalisation application.
2) Post Office will take the fee for the passport (+ their service) at the counter.
3) Not really.

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 am

Many thanks 'Jambo' for the quick reply.

Regarding point 2 though, still not clear why the booklet accompanying the form says 'if you are having an appointment, do not fill in this form' i.e. page 23 of the booklet....paying by credit or debit card form.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 20, 2012 11:40 am

This refers to an appointment in person in one of the IPS offices (for premium and fast track services. Not available for 1st time passport).

See page 20 on how to pay. If you use PO Check & Send you will need to pay the PO £77.50 + £8.75 before they send your application. There is no need to fill in the payment form.

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Sun May 20, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks, once again, 'Jambo' for the info.

p.s. Suggestion to workpermit.com: Given Jambo's good grasp on various issues related to the topic of immigration on this discussion forum, his taking so much time out from his schedule to answer most other members' queries, as well as his extremely polite replies to the other forum members (unlike some present moderators' style which, at times, borders on being slightly high-handed/overbearing), how about making the person posting under the userid 'Jambo' a moderator on the immigrationboards.com?
Last edited by lastlap on Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun May 20, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for suggesting but it is not something I'm interested in anyway.

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Sent my passport application through 'Check and Send' service of the post office yesterday.

There was a thread on this forum which suggested ways to slightly expedite the application process by calling the passport inquiry number and asking them for the reference number, in order to then book an appointment for the interview on the phone (without waiting for the interview letter to arrive by the post which, in some cases, may take a few weeks)....please could someone post the link to that particular thread.

Many thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 pm

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Wed May 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Many thanks Jambo for providing the necessary links.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 am

lastlap wrote:Hi,

A minor query and would be grateful for a response.

Called the passport application progress line and was told my application was reviewed yesterday afternoon and the letter was sent out to me late last evening. However, the postman in my area delivers the letters usually before 10.00 am every morning and there is no letter in today's post. So, I would receive the letter now probably tomorrow i.e. Saturday morning.

However, when I had called the passport inquiry line, the lady was kind enough to give my reference number, so I can now call the passport interview booking line and book the place for the passport interview on the phone today itself.

I am assuming the letter sent out to a person mentions, among other things, the place of the interview.

My query: If I call and book the place of the passport interview on the phone and then find out on receiving the letter that the place mentioned in the letter, in fact, is nearer than the place given on the phone....as well as, perhaps, the date mentioned in the letter is also much earlier than the one given on the phone.

So should I wait for the letter or go ahead and book the interview place/date on the phone itself today?

Any suggestion in this regard by fellow member(s) on this forum would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Jambo wrote:The letter just asks you to call the number and book an interview yourself. There is nothing already booked.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 am

Many thanks Jambo for such a quick reply, and the clarification contained therein.

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:53 am

The passport interview was held on Monday and turned out to be a rather pleasant experience. The interview lasted for barely 5-10 minutes.

Here are the details:

The person taking the interview introduced himself by telling me his name. Then, he started by asking me my full name, DOB and my residential address. Then he said 'should we start the interview'? I replied 'sure'.

He then asked me approx. 5-6 questions e.g. my mother's DOB and her place of birth, then my father's DOB and his place of birth, then asked me how old are my parents, then he asked me how many credit cards do I have, where was the citizenship ceremony held and what date, who was the counter signatory and his approx. age. I was finally asked to sign on an electronic pad.

At the end of the interview, he said that the Identity and passport service may conduct some more inquiries, if necessary, so expect the passport in the next 4 to 10 days.

To my surprise, I received my passport within 2 days of the passport interview.

lastlap
Newly Registered

Post by lastlap » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:12 am

@sushdmehta,

Sushmita ji,

Should at least now get some brownie points for not starting a new thread for this query, but raising this query in the existing thread. :)

Please could you provide the necessary link to the thread discussing the 'OCI' topic.

Thank you in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 am

Life isn't fair, but you can be!