ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Translation jobs/agencies in Scotland

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Stu13
Newly Registered

Translation jobs/agencies in Scotland

Post by Stu13 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 am

Good morning, I am trying to find out information about translation/interpretting work in Scotland for my girlfriend. She is Ukrainian and speaks English and German as well as her native languages i.e Russian and Ukrainian. She studied english and german at university.
Does anybody have any links to agencies that deal with this type of work or actual companies that may be looking for someone with her kanguage skills. At the moment she still lives in Ukraine so would need a work permit unless she waits until she come over here and we marry.
Any advice will be received gladly.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Translation jobs/agencies in Scotland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:27 pm

Stu13 wrote:Good morning, I am trying to find out information about translation/interpretting work in Scotland for my girlfriend. She is Ukrainian and speaks English and German as well as her native languages i.e Russian and Ukrainian. She studied english and german at university.
Does anybody have any links to agencies that deal with this type of work or actual companies that may be looking for someone with her kanguage skills. At the moment she still lives in Ukraine so would need a work permit unless she waits until she come over here and we marry.
Any advice will be received gladly.
Not easy, my Russian partner has been here for over a year and. whilst we've not tried very hard, there's not much call for russian lang skills and prolly less for Ukrainain.

Mine is a qualied Translator and interpreter, i think it's important to remeber that those are skills in themselves, speaking a language sometimes is only half the battle, remember Claudio Ranieri's 'translator'! hahaha!

I'd say chance of a Work Permit is nil, or almost, as she'd need to be here to get the job, who employs people they've never seen! Unless it's via one of these dodgy IT-type software comanies.....

It's a good post you've made, it's a reality that many Russians/Uktrainian's married to Brits and who have with multiple degrees end up working in ASDA, cos the degrees are worth nowt here (my partners bro bought his).

Steve

Stu13
Newly Registered

Post by Stu13 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:28 am

Thanks for the reply Steve. I know it will be difficult, she is actually a teacher but that is even harder to get work in as you seem to need specific training to teach in Scotland.

With regard Russians and Ukrainians working here if you look at the stats from the government website half of the work permit visas issued from former soviet states and eastern europe are issued in Kiev? Is there something good about Ukrainian education/universities that makes them stand out from the other countries or what?
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/GlobalStats2005,0.pdf See page 38 you can see the big difference even to Russian visas issued for work permits.

mylabyrinth
Newly Registered

Post by mylabyrinth » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:19 am

Stu,

This might not be too late in case your fiance is still looking for work. There are two companies in Glasgow that she might want to contact with a CV: Global Language Services (0141 429 3429) and Global Connections (0141 332 8889). Steve is right, work is patchy, and the system is getting better at screening people in terms of qualifications, especially in the legal system. You now need a Diploma in Court Intepreting, which can be costly, especially if work is limited.

A better option for your fiance might be a post-graduate teaching qualification. This takes one year, it's quite fun if you've done teaching before and gets her employment within one year, with a min. 20k salary. Info here:

http://www.gtcs.org.uk/web/site/Registr ... otland.asp

http://www.teachinginscotland.com/tis/t ... tentID=171&

Good luck,
Ariadne

Stu13
Newly Registered

Post by Stu13 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:25 am

Ariadne
Thanks for the reply and information, very much appreciatted and no its not too late we are still looking for work and all information we can get is helpful.

I looked at the teaching courses before and that is an option but the course starts in September so it would be a long wait.

Will have a go with the two companies in Glasgow to see what they think of her skills.

Cheers
Stu