ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When do I apply for Tier 1 extension?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dasavathar

When do I apply for Tier 1 extension?

Post by Dasavathar » Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 am

Hi Experts,

I got my initial 3 year tier 1 (General) switched from Tier 1 (PSW) within UK on 8th February 2010 and I am due to extend by 8th Febrary 2013.

After reading the policy, i understand i can file my application at least 1 month before my current permission to stay expires. so i can apply just before 8th January 2013.

My doubt are here:

If I am applying in person (same day service) and believe to get the outcome same day ie, 8th January 2013, i will remain exactly one month shortfall for my ILR application ( by the time i will be having only 4 years and 11 months instead 5 years).

Can you please explain how do i over come this?

I also do not wish to apply in the last minute just incase if my application is rejected, i can reapply if my leave to remain doesnt expire.

Please clarify.

Thanks

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Mon May 28, 2012 2:14 pm

You can apply extension any time when you are ready, not just 28 days prior expiry.

I would suggest to apply further close to your visa expiry date. I have not seen/read about any rejection of visa extension. Hence, keep everything genuine and simple. you will get visa.

Usually, when you apply visa extension within 90 days prior to expiry then extension is issued from the expiry date of current visa.

Some, including me, I have over come this problem by taking two extension, means more money/fees.

Hope this helps.

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Mon May 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for your reply Rajesh.

you have mentioned, within 90 days prior to expiry then extension is issued from the expiry date of current visa.

UKBA website has this info:
if you apply significantly more than 1 month before your permission to stay expires, and you want to apply for settlement later, you may not have accumulated enough total permission to stay. This is because your new permission to stay will begin on the date when we make the decision, not the date when your current permission expires.

so, going for expensive route of 2nd extension is the only alternative to be in the safer side?

[/list][/quote]

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Without going to into the detailed reasons of why you should so, I will only suggest that you apply for extension no earlier than 28 days before the expiry of your current leave - be it in-person or by post.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Mon May 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Dasavathar wrote: so, going for expensive route of 2nd extension is the only alternative to be in the safer side?
If you want to save money, the easiest option is postal application. If going via PEO route, ensure all your documents are in place and you could book an appointment 1 week prior to your visa expiry.

Personally I would suggest applying by post 4 weeks before expiry of your visa. That would ensure that you apply in time but your extension would be granted on a date after your current visa expiry. During the period where your visa expires and your visa application would be in consideration, you would be covered by section 3c of immigration act 1971. You would probably get the extension within 8-12 weeks from the date of application. This would however ensure that you would definitely complete the 5 years before applying for ILR and wouldn't have to extend 2nd time :idea:
Give me more Karma (+)

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks Sushdmehta and Sam.

@Sush: I have got no serious reason for applying in advance, hope mine is straight forward case since i work for the local authority and I am getting the relevant points.

Just in case if I do any error in the application or if a case worker slips out any, I will have time to re apply rather than appealing which is time and cost consuming.

So i thought let me know how it works with others and now i got an idea from Sam.

Thanks for you both