ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

reasoning for early extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

secsmed
Newly Registered

reasoning for early extension

Post by secsmed » Mon May 28, 2012 5:46 pm

I am applying about 4 months early for my Tier 1 extension. My passport is less than a year valid and I will need to renew it within next few months. However my country's embassy (Iran) is currently closed in the UK, which means it will be a time consuming process to renew my passport (I will need to go to Ireland or France for that). My question is: can I (or should I) mention this in my cover letter as a reason for early application for extension? or it may have negative influence? I am also changing my job in the mean time which I wrote about it in my cover letter. Any advise is highly appreciated.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 pm

It's fine to do this and there is no need to give an explanation, but you won't be credited with the unexpired leave that currently hold. Your new grant will be for three or two years depending on whether you got two or three years originally. If you are hoping to apply for ILR you will have a significant shortfall in your residence period and therefore will need to make yet another extension before you can complete five years.

secsmed
Newly Registered

Post by secsmed » Mon May 28, 2012 6:01 pm

Lucapooka wrote:It's fine to do this and there is no need to give an explanation, but you won't be credited with the unexpired leave that currently hold. Your new grant will be for three or two years depending on whether you got two or three years originally. If you are hoping to apply for ILR you will have a significant shortfall in your residence period and therefore will need to make yet another extension before you can complete five years.
Thanks very much for your quick reply. I am hoping to get the extension from the end of my current visa for another 2 years and that's why I am thinking of explaining the reason. But anyway I have no choice, because of my circumstances I must apply early and hope for the best.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon May 28, 2012 6:07 pm

Good luck with your hopes!

45. We encourage applications to be made at least a month before the applicant’s extant (still existing) leave expires. Applicants should note however that if the application is made significantly earlier than one month before the expiry of their leave, there is a risk of a shortfall in the required period of leave should they subsequently make an application for settlement. This is because any further leave to remain (for example Indefinite Leave to Remain or Settlement) is granted from the date that we make the decision, not the date the applicant’s extant leave expires

secsmed
Newly Registered

Post by secsmed » Mon May 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Lucapooka wrote:Good luck with your hopes!

45. We encourage applications to be made at least a month before the applicant’s extant (still existing) leave expires. Applicants should note however that if the application is made significantly earlier than one month before the expiry of their leave, there is a risk of a shortfall in the required period of leave should they subsequently make an application for settlement. This is because any further leave to remain (for example Indefinite Leave to Remain or Settlement) is granted from the date that we make the decision, not the date the applicant’s extant leave expires
Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if writing such a reasoning would have a negative impact or not. Positive effect would be a bonus.

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:27 pm

secsmed wrote:

Thanks. I mainly wanted to know if writing such a reasoning would have a negative impact or not. Positive effect would be a bonus.
I applied for my visa extension roughly four months in advance in March, got approval on 19 May with 3 years extension given from end of visa expiry, i.e. until July 2015. As I had spent time on work permit for near 2 years so I do not needed visa extension for 3 years from end of current visa.

It depends on caseworker to approve visa from end of expiry or date of approval. Given the current timeline, it is likely that you will get visa from expiry date. Any explanation likely to have no impact but no harm in trying. I did not gave any reason for 4 months early application as I was not concerned about whether visa is approved from approval date or expiry date.

secsmed
Newly Registered

Post by secsmed » Tue May 29, 2012 4:20 pm

manojk005 wrote:
secsmed wrote:

I applied for my visa extension roughly four months in advance in March, got approval on 19 May with 3 years extension given from end of visa expiry, i.e. until July 2015. As I had spent time on work permit for near 2 years so I do not needed visa extension for 3 years from end of current visa.

It depends on caseworker to approve visa from end of expiry or date of approval. Given the current timeline, it is likely that you will get visa from expiry date. Any explanation likely to have no impact but no harm in trying. I did not gave any reason for 4 months early application as I was not concerned about whether visa is approved from approval date or expiry date.
Thanks for sharing your info. At the end, I posted my application today without writing about the reason.