ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Application currently on spouse visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

z4ydi

ILR Application currently on spouse visa

Post by z4ydi » Mon May 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi everyone
My wife was granted a spouse visa in February 2011, she has been living in the UK ever since, in a few months time she will be applying for ILR. May questions are:
1. My wife has been doing self study to pass the test for Life in the UK test and she has not done an official course for the language test. Is that ok? or she must attend a college (very costly though)? If self study is ok where can she do the test - we live in Northwest London.
2. Can someone please post a comprehensive list of what supporting documentation would she need with the ILR application so we can start the preparation.

Many thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon May 28, 2012 3:09 pm

1. self study is fine.
2. the SET(M) form is a good start.

Patagonian

Re: ILR Application currently on spouse visa

Post by Patagonian » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

z4ydi wrote:My wife has been doing self study to pass the test for Life in the UK test and she has not done an official course for the language test. Is that ok? or she must attend a college (very costly though)? If self study is ok where can she do the test - we live in Northwest London.
http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks for your replies.
For supporting documentation I have the following - I will be grateful for any comment and advice:
1. My P60 (me)
2. My payslips for 6 months (me)
3. A letter from my employer confirming my employment, length of service and salary - I am not sure this is necessary though please comment (me)
4. My bank statements (me)
5. Telephone bill (me)
6. Bank statements from a joint account (from myself and my wife)
7. Joint tenancy agreement (me and wife)
8. Joint Gas/elec utility bill (me and wife)
9. My wife's medical card from the surgery (wife)
10. NHS letter to my wife (wife)
11. My wife's Life in the UK certificate - to be obtained (wife)

Is the above enough as acceptable supporting documentation?
Note: all of the documentations stated above are to our current address.
Do I have to apply for my wife's National Insurance number? If so how do I go about that - is it easy to get?

Many thanks

Patagonian

Post by Patagonian » Tue May 29, 2012 10:36 am

z4ydi that list looks fine. For the cohabitation documents you only need to supply 6 addressed to you jointly covering the 2 year period (Feb 11 - Feb 13 in your case). We submitted 7 at the PEO but took lots of extra ones in case they asked for them - they didn't want to see any more.

We also submitted last 6 months payslips, latest P60 and last 6 months bank statements for both of our individual accounts and our joint account. The letter from your employer isn't necessary if you are submitting payslips.

Re getting your spouse a national insurance number this is only necessary if she is planning to work (either employed or self-employed) or claim certain benefits. She doesn't need one to apply for ILR. If you do want to get one, it's a very quick and easy process and you will find details here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /DG_190057

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Tue May 29, 2012 11:35 am

Patagonian wrote:z4ydi We submitted 7 at the PEO but took lots of extra ones in case they asked for them - they didn't want to see any more.
Thanks for your sensere advice. I am sorry I don't know what PEO is, can you please clarify?
When making the application is it simple - I mean do I have to hire a solicitor or is it simply putting the supporting documentation with a filled out form?
Is there a checking service? if so how much do they charge?

Thanks

Patagonian

Post by Patagonian » Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 am

z4ydi wrote:Thanks for your sensere advice. I am sorry I don't know what PEO is, can you please clarify?
When making the application is it simple - I mean do I have to hire a solicitor or is it simply putting the supporting documentation with a filled out form?
Is there a checking service? if so how much do they charge?

Thanks
PEO = Public Enquiry Office where you submit your documents in person for a same-day decision. The other option is to apply by post.

The application is relatively straightforward and you can certainly do it on your own if your case is simple and you have all the required supporting documentation. This board is a great resource also for advice and for clarifying any questions you may have. Good luck!

z4ydi

Post by z4ydi » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Thank you again Ptagonian. I wonder how much it costs to go through the POE - do they give you the decision same day?
I think my wife's case is simple. She has been living with me and dependent on me, which we can support by document stated in my initial post. She does not have any over stays. I dont know if I am missing anything but would this be a simple case?

Patagonian

Post by Patagonian » Tue May 29, 2012 12:20 pm

z4ydi wrote:Thank you again Ptagonian. I wonder how much it costs to go through the POE - do they give you the decision same day?
I think my wife's case is simple. She has been living with me and dependent on me, which we can support by document stated in my initial post. She does not have any over stays. I dont know if I am missing anything but would this be a simple case?
There's no need to wonder how much it costs - this and lots of other information that you really need to read thoroughly can be found on the UKBA website here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... et%28m%29/

PEO appointments don't guarantee a same-day decision and recently a lot of cases have been deferred due to IT issues (there are lots of threads in this forum about this). We applied on 30 March and got a decision on 11 April due to IT issues. For a straightforward case though you will still get your decision much quicker than if you apply by post. Only you can decide if the extra fee is worth it