ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

advise on citizenship of child born in northern ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

johnopatola
Newly Registered

advise on citizenship of child born in northern ireland

Post by johnopatola » Wed May 30, 2012 4:24 pm

I will like to thank members of this forum on the great job they are doing, i am trying to find out information on behalf of my friend. he is a ghanian and has irish residency valid till 2016 and he has had residence in Ireland for over 4 years, he has a girlfriend who lives in Northern Ireland and she just delivered a baby boy ,my friend is trying to find out if he can get irish citizenship for the child based on his own residence in Ireland even though birth place is northern ireland. I also need to say the mother of the child has no irish residence and does not have permanent residence in Northern Ireland.Please all advise will be appreciated

johnopatola
Newly Registered

Post by johnopatola » Wed May 30, 2012 5:47 pm

pls anyone with an advise

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Wed May 30, 2012 6:06 pm

congras .................. kid is elible more info www.inis.gov.ie www.passpor.ie

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: advise on citizenship of child born in northern ireland

Post by Ben » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:04 pm

johnopatola wrote:he has had residence in Ireland for over 4 years
As long as the father has had at least 3 years "reckonable residence"*, the child is entitled to be an Irish citizen. Child may also be a British citizen, depending on the residence history of the mother.

*Certain residence is not reckonable, including unlawful residence, residence granted for the purpose of study and periods where there was a provisional permission to reside granted pending determination of an asylum application.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.