ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visitor switching to Dependant

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aneerkadir
Newly Registered

Post by aneerkadir » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 am

HI,

I am currently on Tier 1 general visa and its due for extension on Feb 2013. I have recently got married and planning to bring my wife over to UK. I am thinking of applying for a family visit visa for her(since my visa expires on feb next yr) then apply for dependent after renewing my tier 1 visa. Is it possible to switch from family visit to dependent?

I know that she have to go back to India to apply as dependent.

Thank you for your advice

Regards
Aneer

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Family visitor switching to Dependant

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am

If you already know the answer:
aneerkadir wrote:I know that she have to go back to India to apply as dependent.
Then why the question:
aneerkadir wrote:Is it possible to switch from family visit to dependent?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 am

The answer is, she can switch the visa category but she just has to return back to India. I guess you were looking to check if it was okay to switch visa categories.
Give me more Karma (+)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:57 am

QuickSam wrote:The answer is, she can switch the visa category but she just has to return back to India. I guess you were looking to check if it was okay to switch visa categories.
"Switching" means changing immigration category within the UK.

When one is not in UK the question of "switching" doesn't arise because you are not under UK immigration control in an overseas country and therefore there is no immigration category to "switch" or "convert" to. So stating that "you can switch but you can do it only from outside the UK" is a self-contradictory statement.

From outside UK, one can only apply for entry clearance (EC). It doesn't matter if at a time of new EC application the applicant has a valid EC (in the same or a different immigration category) or whether he had applied for / was granted EC in any immigration category in the past.

Just for general information and clarification.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks mate ! I understand the meaning of switching now. I did not know 'switching' had a UKBA'ed version as well.
Give me more Karma (+)

aneerkadir
Newly Registered

Post by aneerkadir » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for all the help and advice.

In the family visit visa section in UKBA site there is a statement that 'you must be able to show that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit'. What document can i show to prove this?

I heard from an agent in India that if you apply for family visit for your wife it will get rejected since there is no proof of her coming back to India.

Can you please advice what documents i need to show to prove that she will be going back?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Aneer

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:47 pm

There is no document. The statement refers to the applicant having ties to their homeland that will motivate their return rather than remaining in the UK. So, it's the general lifestyle of the applicant that is considered: their career, their assets, their family and social network. Whatever exists that will not be abandoned.

Your problem (although not insurmountable) lies in the fact that one of her strongest family ties is you and you are resident in the UK.

aneerkadir
Newly Registered

Post by aneerkadir » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply,

In my case my wife just finished her studies, so she don't have any job at present.

So if we just show the return tickets, will that be enough? should we attach any statement stating she will be returning home?

Sorry for asking again and again, I hope you will understand my feelings :)

Thank you

Regards

Aneer

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Frankly, I don't know as I don't know anything about her or her situation. You may find that you will have to jump through hoops to get a visit application whereas a PBS dependant application could be handed to you on a platter (and she can come and go as she pleases with this). So you have to decide which is easiest for your circumstances.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Family visitor switching to Dependant

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:38 pm

aneerkadir wrote: So if we just show the return tickets, will that be enough? should we attach any statement stating she will be returning home?
I agree with Lucapooka's comment about it being much easier for your wife to gain entry as a PBS dependant applicant rather than a visitor.

IMHO, showing a return ticket and a statement from you will not amount to much when it comes to showing your wife's ties to her homeland & that she will therefore return rather than remain in the UK where you her spouse, are a resident.

aneerkadir
Newly Registered

Post by aneerkadir » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice.

If I apply for a dependent visa, can I show balance in 2 accounts?

I mean, I had a balance of 3 Lakhs in my SBI account in India from 16-01-2012 till 06-06-2012 and My account here in UK have a balance of £2000 from 08-05-2012 to current date. So when i show balance maintenance can i show the SBI account statements till June 6th and then own wards my UK account statements. Is it possible?

Thank you

Aneer

aneerkadir
Newly Registered

Post by aneerkadir » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks sushdmehta for quick reply.

But my SBI account don't have only 30,000 rs at present. Will that be a problem?

Thanks

Aneer

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Apologies, I deleted my post by mistake.

You can use as many as accounts as you wish. You need to prove that you have held the necessary maintenance funds for at least 90 days .... but it doesn't say anywhere that these funds have to be maintained for 90 days in one bank account.

aneerkadir
Newly Registered

Post by aneerkadir » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks sushdmehta.

It was really a confidence boosting reply.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

Aneer