ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK visa & past overstay & crime in USA

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UK visa & past overstay & crime in USA

Post by karma » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:58 pm

I overstayed my USA visa by few years. I have minor criminal conviction in USA. Currently I am in country of my citizenship. I just renewed my passport from this country as old one was expiring. New passport doesn't indicate anything about my previous visit to USA.

I am planning to apply for a student dependent visa for UK now and may be for settlement visa in future. I do not want to disclose UK immigration office about my USA visit & so conviction in USA. Can someone describe me concequences of my action in short term & in long term?

antontony

Post by antontony » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:08 pm

Hello,

Well, s19 of the 1999 Act says that deception...may lead to revocation of your status in the UK, if discovered. That referes to say, student visa as well as Settlement Visa, if you get any...

In any case it is your responsibility.

Remember, that the the UK immigration rules say that a person with a previous conviction, if tried in the UK would get you more then 12 month...could be not conducive to public good in the UK. That means if you had more then 12 month of your sentence...you are likely to be in trouble with the Embassy/HC.

Regards,

Anton

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:41 pm

antontony wrote:Hello,

Well, s19 of the 1999 Act says that deception...may lead to revocation of your status in the UK, if discovered. That referes to say, student visa as well as Settlement Visa, if you get any...

In any case it is your responsibility.

Remember, that the the UK immigration rules say that a person with a previous conviction, if tried in the UK would get you more then 12 month...could be not conducive to public good in the UK. That means if you had more then 12 month of your sentence...you are likely to be in trouble with the Embassy/HC.

Regards,

Anton
Isn't the requirement to answer the forms truthfully? In other words, if they don't ask about overstays in other countries, is it obligatory to volunteer the information?