ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Seeking Professional Advice for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Mon May 28, 2012 12:12 am

From any solicitor. Usually you can walk into any high street firm and ask at reception for a solicitor to certify a document for you. They will take a copy and stamp it to say that they certify that it is a true copy of the original. It takes minutes
Hoping to be reunited soon

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:12 pm

carlyann wrote:From any solicitor. Usually you can walk into any high street firm and ask at reception for a solicitor to certify a document for you. They will take a copy and stamp it to say that they certify that it is a true copy of the original. It takes minutes
The Post office do a similar thing apparently- would they accept that?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/counter-ser ... ng-service

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Not for a visa application. You need to have a solicitor certify the passport or original documents.

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:13 pm

carlyann wrote:From any solicitor. Usually you can walk into any high street firm and ask at reception for a solicitor to certify a document for you. They will take a copy and stamp it to say that they certify that it is a true copy of the original. It takes minutes
Can you recommend a good solicitors to go to- based in London??

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:24 pm

I have been lead to belive from another forum that you dont need a solicitor to certify you passport copy but you can actually do it yourself simply by signing it.

Try sending an e-mail to the relevent ECO and get there clairification on the issue and you could save yourself a few quid.

"HI..... The threads above are 100% correct, emailed vac and they emailed to say " you self certify the copies yourself, there is absolutely NO need to get certified by a solicitor"

The photocopies should be the one with your photo, the first page showing passport number and any pages with thai passport control stamps!!!!
The self certification is your signature and printed name.

SO people of the forum save yourself a tenner!!!!
"

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Some more comments on this topic.

"Yes.

Last year for my gf's V/V and this year for her fiancee visa.

I wrote "I certify that this is a true copy of the original", signed and then dated every page of my passport."

"I only just signed mine, no problem!! "

"Just copied my passport and signed each page (for both visitor & settlement visa)."

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Franko, according to your post last week you haven't submitted the application yet. Hopefully, you're not including a self-certified copy of your passport.
If you submit 'self-certified' copies you risk a refusal from the ECO. Think of this logically....in order to prove you're not submitting a false document...you certify it yourself as genuine?
All official documents which are not original need to be legally certified copies.
Why on earth take the risk for the sake of a few pounds? :?

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:59 pm

I never claimed I have submitted an application, what I have posted is peoples comments from another forum where many people have claimed to have self certified and had no issues.

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:02 pm

I'm not suggesting people do this without checking first, but its worth an E-mail to the relevent ECO to check if they accept such certification.

For information all the above posts are reffering to applications processed in Thailand.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Was wondering:

Is it not possible that whether photocopies must be legally certified or self-certified or not certified is something that is directed by the local BHC in the country of the application?

At least I have always been under this impression.

Or is "legally certified" copy of passport a mandatory requirement for all EC applications under family route across all the countries. If it is, I have been unable to find this requirement prescribed formally. And I am aware of cases of personal acquaintances where "uncertified" (plain) copies proved sufficient enough.

Even this guidance document doesn't state anything to suggest so. It just states "copies of" and not "certified copies of".

Just my two cents.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:08 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
It just states "copies of" and not "certified copies of".
Exactly, another member of the same forum also claims to have just sent copies not signed by anyone with no problems.

I will be E-mailing the ECO in Thailand and the British embassy in Vietnam on wednesday to get clarification on what they will accept. I'll post back with there reply.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Are you applying for your fiancee's visa in Thailand or Vietnam?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Greenie wrote:this is an example of guidance given to applicants in singapore

http://www.vfs.com.sg/IMPORTANT%20INFOR ... ICANTS.pdf
it may well vary across embassies but i have known applications to be refused where standard photocopies have been provided and i would always advise on certified copies of passports in particular.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:50 pm

This is from the UKBA site for the New York hub:
'the original or certified copies of the supporting documents relevant to your visa type'

'Save yourself a few quid' and risk losing close to £1,000 application fee...and even more in the appeal process. :?

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Casa wrote:Are you applying for your fiancee's visa in Thailand or Vietnam?
Vietnam?

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:26 pm

wow- didn't realise I'd fuel such a healthy debate, haha!

So what the general consensus then for those applying for a UK Spouse visa, originally from the states? I'm getting the impression certified copies are better?

And, call me stupid, but what does ECO stand for, in relation to Britain?

Franko

Post by Franko » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:42 pm

earthworm_gym wrote:
And, call me stupid, but what does ECO stand for, in relation to Britain?
Entry Clearance Officer

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

So this contact page is useless!

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/about ... -services/

I cannot seem to find a contact number for anything if I am a sponsor, trying to ask about certified information- arrrgh!!!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Just certify have the copies certified. I can't see why you're considering risking the application for a solicitor's fee of a few pounds.
Walk into your nearest solicitor and ask if they provide this service. It would be unusual if they didn't.

On the UKBA page (from the link you were given) did you then click on the Visa application centres overseas link, which would have taken you the the contact number for the country where you are submitting your application?

earthworm_gym
Newly Registered

Post by earthworm_gym » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am

Casa wrote:Just certify have the copies certified. I can't see why you're considering risking the application for a solicitor's fee of a few pounds.
Walk into your nearest solicitor and ask if they provide this service. It would be unusual if they didn't.

On the UKBA page (from the link you were given) did you then click on the Visa application centres overseas link, which would have taken you the the contact number for the country where you are submitting your application?
Yep, did all that- I selected USA (spouse country of origin) and it ended up taking me to a "world bridge" contact page with no number.

I just wanted to call someone based in the UK about this!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:54 am

They don't deal with entry clearance applications from the US in the UK so there is no point speaking to someone in the UK about it. You need to speak directly to the British embassy in the US, or, alternately, just have the documents certified for avoidance of doubt.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:59 am

I'm aware from your previous posts that your wife is American, but where will you she be applying? You appear to be searching for information based on her nationality, not on the VAC who will be processing her application.

Franko

Post by Franko » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:12 pm

I e-mail both the British embassy in Hanoi and the British embassy in Bangkok to ask about Legalisation of my marriage certificate translation and also to ask about self certifying passport copies heres their responces.

Dear Mr ********,
Thank you for contacting the UK Border Agency’s Visa Enquiries mailbox in Vietnam.
We are sorry for the misunderstanding of your previous email.
Your Thai marriage certificate need to be certified with English translation because we can not verify the contents in Thai. Other documentation can be provided with regular photocopies.
We are sending herewith the guidance for supporting documents for visit visa application for your reference.

Yours sincerely

Vietnam Correspondence Team | Visa Services | UK Border Agency International Group |
British Embassy Hanoi | 4th floor, Central Building | 31 Hai Ba Trung | Hanoi | Vietnam

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your e-mail dated 05/06/12

We can accept the original Thai marriage certificate with certified translation to English. There is no need to have the copied documents certified by a lawyer or any officials. So you can certify copies of your passport by singing your name on them.

We hope this clarify your situation.

Yours sincerely

Correspondence Team | Visa Services | UKBA International Group | British Embassy Bangkok
14 Wireless Road | Lumpini| Pathumwan | Bangkok 10330 | Thailand

Both embassies state that you dont need a solicitor to validate copies of your passport.