ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost BRP while on Holiday. How to come back to UK.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LostInCountry

Lost BRP while on Holiday. How to come back to UK.

Post by LostInCountry » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Well this is one of those things you never think should happen but I lost my Biometric Residence Permit while on Holiday to Schengen countries.

Being a Bank Holiday today I can't call any of the offices in UK.

Has anyone had this experience before? How do you come back to UK? The airline doesn't let me fly without a visa, which I don't have.

I'm on Tier 1 (General) and the last visa expired in May (got extended and got the BRP).

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:29 pm

ECB17.2 Replacing a visa (or leave)
If the applicant loses or has their passport and visa stolen, we are issuing a replacement visa (or leave) leave and the full fee is required. If the applicant applies for a replacement visa (or leave) you will need to see a police report or other evidence that satisfactorily establishes that the passport is no longer in their possession This also applies if an applicant had 'leave to remain' granted in the UK and are now applying to have it replaced overseas. If required, you may ask for supporting documentation to establish that their circumstances have not changed. ECOs may need to refer to Evidence and Enquiry to obtain information on an applicant's leave validity granted in the UK

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/ecbasi ... tonewpassp[/url]

LostInCountry

Post by LostInCountry » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Is this still valid if the passport is still available. (I lost only the Residence Permit).
Lucapooka wrote:ECB17.2 Replacing a visa (or leave)
If the applicant loses or has their passport and visa stolen, we are issuing a replacement visa (or leave) leave and the full fee is required. If the applicant applies for a replacement visa (or leave) you will need to see a police report or other evidence that satisfactorily establishes that the passport is no longer in their possession This also applies if an applicant had 'leave to remain' granted in the UK and are now applying to have it replaced overseas. If required, you may ask for supporting documentation to establish that their circumstances have not changed. ECOs may need to refer to Evidence and Enquiry to obtain information on an applicant's leave validity granted in the UK

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/ecbasi ... tonewpassp[/url]

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:33 pm

But there is nothing in the passport to say you have permission to live in the UK! Presumably, the second part of this statement applies only to those that are inside the UK

What should I do if my biometric residence permit is lost or stolen?
If your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen, you must report the loss or theft to us as soon as possible by phoning 0300 123 2412 from the UK or (+44) 20 8527 3623 from abroad. If you are abroad when your permit is lost or stolen, you should phone us before you try to return to the UK.
You must then use application form BRP(RC) to apply for another permit. If you fail to do this within 3 months of reporting the theft or loss, you may have to pay a financial penalty of up to £1,000, or we may shorten your permission to stay. You can download the application form and guidance from the right side of this page

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... ibilities/#

LostInCountry

Post by LostInCountry » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:17 pm

found this
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/ ... encepermit
Lucapooka wrote:But there is nothing in the passport to say you have permission to live in the UK! Presumably, the second part of this statement applies only to those that are inside the UK

What should I do if my biometric residence permit is lost or stolen?
If your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen, you must report the loss or theft to us as soon as possible by phoning 0300 123 2412 from the UK or (+44) 20 8527 3623 from abroad. If you are abroad when your permit is lost or stolen, you should phone us before you try to return to the UK.
You must then use application form BRP(RC) to apply for another permit. If you fail to do this within 3 months of reporting the theft or loss, you may have to pay a financial penalty of up to £1,000, or we may shorten your permission to stay. You can download the application form and guidance from the right side of this page

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while ... ibilities/#

juancho
Newly Registered

Post by juancho » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 am

Hi, the same thing happened to me, I lost my biometric card

I'm in France at the moment, we drove from London using the Ferry from Dover to Calais. I lost a bag where I had my Biometric Card but likely I left my passport in the hotel. I have a scanned copy of the biometric card in my email so I will be able to show a copy of it. I had reported the lost item to the police.
Do you think they would allow me back to the Uk?
I will show them the following:
1) my passport
2) a photocopy of my lost biometric card
3) the original police report for the lost item

thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:58 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

juancho
Newly Registered

Post by juancho » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 am

hi vinny,
thanks for your reply.
I already sent an email to BRPLost@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and I have also applied for a replacement BRP here in France but the appointment is in Paris for next Monday 11/06. I need to go back to UK tomorrow so I don't have any other option other than going to Calais and "try" to get back to UK.
Do you think I have a chance they will let me in? once in UK I will definitely apply for a new BRP.

If anyone else had the same problem, please let me know if that would work.
Thanks

apple0

Post by apple0 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:49 am

Something similar happened to me recently.

Juancho, were you able to get back with the copy?

I applied for a single-entry visa before returning and have now returned and applied for the replacement BRP but have not heard in response to the application yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the replacement? If the payment information on the application ends up being incorrect, will they call to get the payment or return the application as being invalid?

la
Member of Standing

Post by la » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi apple0,

Do you have work rights on given short term validity single-entry visa

Regards,

apple0

Post by apple0 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:55 pm

I was wondering the same thing. The single-entry visa says no work but the whole point of it is to replace the BRP (which says I can work) to get into the country once so I am not sure how it changes the work status. My understanding is it just means I can't use that visa sticker in my passport as evidence of my ability to work and its sole purpose is to get into the country without the BRP. Maybe someone more experienced can explain it better, though. (I am generally confused as to why the BRP or single-entry visa are so necessary at the border when they have our fingerprints and those are linked to our work/immigration status presumably.)

whatapalaver
Newly Registered

Re: entering without BRP and without visa after reported los

Post by whatapalaver » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:20 pm

juancho wrote:hi vinny,
thanks for your reply.
I already sent an email to BRPLost@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and I have also applied for a replacement BRP here in France but the appointment is in Paris for next Monday 11/06. I need to go back to UK tomorrow so I don't have any other option other than going to Calais and "try" to get back to UK.
Do you think I have a chance they will let me in? once in UK I will definitely apply for a new BRP.

If anyone else had the same problem, please let me know if that would work.
Thanks
Can you please share what happened at the border? I am traveling tomorrow without BRP and without visa and quite concerned.

whatapalaver
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by whatapalaver » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 pm

apple0 wrote:I was wondering the same thing. The single-entry visa says no work but the whole point of it is to replace the BRP (which says I can work) to get into the country once so I am not sure how it changes the work status. My understanding is it just means I can't use that visa sticker in my passport as evidence of my ability to work and its sole purpose is to get into the country without the BRP. Maybe someone more experienced can explain it better, though. (I am generally confused as to why the BRP or single-entry visa are so necessary at the border when they have our fingerprints and those are linked to our work/immigration status presumably.)
Apple, did you receive an email automatically when you re-entered telling you what to do? I am attempting to enter tomorrow without BRP (cancelled) and without visa. I couldn't get the visa in time and need to return for naturalisation biometrics (invitation received). I am wondering if I need to submit my application within 30 days of entering in this instance.

velamala
Newly Registered

Re: Lost BRP while on Holiday. How to come back to UK.

Post by velamala » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:27 pm

@Whatapalaver..Could you please update what happened when you tried to enter UK. I am almost in similar situation .My BRP was stolen and I have applied for BRP(RC) from with in UK and got Biometrics enrolled in 1st week of Oct. But I have to travel mid Nov to Spain and exploring all options.Home office's standard processing time is 8 weeks for BRP(RC) so I am not hoping to have it back before my planned trip. Luckily, my passport is with me and my stolen BRP is found now. So I am planning to travel anyway as no one else except UKBA would be interested in my BRP. I think I can explain the situation to UKBA on my arrival from Spain and hoping that they would let me in(I don't see any reason why they shouldn't) I have right to live in UK and already applied for replacement, its not my fault if home office takes so long to send replacement card. My business can't wait for months..

Appreciate any information on this..Could you also please share some contact numbers which you may have called. I have tried below but they gave standard reply asking me to wait for 8 weeks before calling them..

UK Visas and Immigration contact center
Telephone: 0300 123 2241

I am flying via easyjet and they seem to have no issue, they wouldn't ask for my BRP while boarding flight from Spain to UK so that bit is fine for me. I am only bit concerned about what would UKBA do..

Regards
Satya

t123456789

Re: Lost BRP while on Holiday. How to come back to UK.

Post by t123456789 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 pm

Probably be detained at the very least, or even arrested. Once you notify them they cancel and flag the card to stop fraudulent usage. Of course EasyJet will let you board, they have no way of knowing the card isn't valid, UKBA will though.