ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jazb
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement

Post by jazb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 am

Hi,

Recently my husband got ILR. Now I have to apply for FLR (M). I have got B.Com. degree from New Delhi.

I am confused about the 'English Language Requirement'. Someone told me that I need to get a certificate from NARIC for 'Statement of Comparability'. But as I can see they have 'English Language Assessment' on there website as well.

Now this got me confused, can some one please advise me which one do I need and why, if possible please?

a) Statement of Comparability
b) English Language Assessment

jazb
Newly Registered

Re: English Language Requirement

Post by jazb » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:33 pm

anyone... please !!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:15 am

1. Read Q&A guidance for applicants.
2. If you wish to apply for a letter from NARIC, apply for "Statement of Comparability".
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

jazb
Newly Registered

Confused

Post by jazb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:25 am

sushdmehta wrote:1. Read Q&A guidance for applicants.
2. If you wish to apply for a letter from NARIC, apply for "Statement of Comparability".
Thanks,

1) So you mean 'English Language Assessment' from NARIC is not required then?
2) Does 'Statement of Comparability' meets 'English language requirement'??

I know you must have answered these questions before, but I am really confused right now.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm

jazb
Newly Registered

more confusion

Post by jazb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:01 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
Thanks, I have read that link, still not clear to me. I've decided get the NARIC certificate, not sure which one.

Can you please answer my two questions??

1) So you mean 'English Language Assessment' from NARIC is not required then?
2) Does 'Statement of Comparability' meets 'English language requirement'??

please??

jazb
Newly Registered

Post by jazb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:10 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
NARIC website says this:

2. What is the difference between a Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment?

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award. It does not contain any information on the medium of instruction.

The English Language Assessment assesses whether an individual's English language proficiency is equivalent to CEFR level C1, based on completion of an English language test or academic qualifications taught in English. This service comments only on English proficiency and does not include information on the comparable level of the award.

So, we should be getting 'English Language Assessment' for FLM(M). isn't it?

Can someone with experience please confirm this??[/i]

aditipritam

Post by aditipritam » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 am

jazb wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
NARIC website says this:

2. What is the difference between a Statement of Comparability and English Language Assessment?

The UK NARIC Statement of Comparability is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK, irrespective of it being an academic, vocational or professional award. It does not contain any information on the medium of instruction.

The English Language Assessment assesses whether an individual's English language proficiency is equivalent to CEFR level C1, based on completion of an English language test or academic qualifications taught in English. This service comments only on English proficiency and does not include information on the comparable level of the award.

So, we should be getting 'English Language Assessment' for FLM(M). isn't it?

Can someone with experience please confirm this??[/i]
I think you are right, you need 'English Language Assessment' to meet english language requirement.

I don't know why sushdmehta asked you to get 'Statement of Comparability'. May be sushdmehta got a reason or has some experience with this?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:08 am

1. The "English language assessment" requires the applicant to provide evidence of the medium of instruction of study. In other words, an additional letter from the awarding body.
2. For FLR(M) leave, there is no need to prove English proficiency to C1 level, but only A1.

"Statement of Comparability" certifies whether a qualification is at the same level as a UK bachelor's / master's degree - sufficient enough to meet the English language requirement for FLR(M) application. And, no additional document / letter required from the awarding body.