ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

University Name Changed

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ocean77
Newly Registered

University Name Changed

Post by ocean77 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:39 pm

Hi All,

I initially got HSMP in march 2006 and would be applying for extension in Feb. 2007. Given the current change in rules, i thought it might be idea to keep my documents in order.

I am specially worried about the english proficiency evidence. I got my bachelors degree from a college (the degree was awarded by a university). However, its been almost 8 years and now the college itself has become a Deemed University and no longer needs to refer to the old University. Also , the name of institute has changed!

With this change, if i get a letter on English Proficiency from them, would it work? The reason i ask is because the awarding body on degree certificate and english prof. letter would be different.

I have also asked Home Office but no help. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Cheers!
Ocean

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:52 pm

I suggest get a letter from the university; and if possible ask the university to put in place the old name of the college.

Even if they are unable to do so; you can refer to the news related to the change; like media coverage or news paper article or something to prove your case....

paramjit2k

hi

Post by paramjit2k » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:09 pm

Hi...

I think the Univ who issued u the degree that time..shud be the one providing letter this time...Coz that they were the awarding institution...

U have taken degree from them 8 years back, go to them present ur original certificates...and ask them to issue letter in this regard...

I suggest go to REGISTRAR OFFICE directly...they r the who handle this all stuff...
Regards,

Pam Aujla

HSMP5thDec

Re: University Name Changed

Post by HSMP5thDec » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:15 pm

to play safe, i would suggest taking an English test as well. That is so easy to get a 6, which will save many efforts.
ocean77 wrote:Hi All,

I initially got HSMP in march 2006 and would be applying for extension in Feb. 2007. Given the current change in rules, i thought it might be idea to keep my documents in order.

I am specially worried about the english proficiency evidence. I got my bachelors degree from a college (the degree was awarded by a university). However, its been almost 8 years and now the college itself has become a Deemed University and no longer needs to refer to the old University. Also , the name of institute has changed!

With this change, if i get a letter on English Proficiency from them, would it work? The reason i ask is because the awarding body on degree certificate and english prof. letter would be different.

I have also asked Home Office but no help. Hopefully someone can help me out here.

Cheers!
Ocean

ocean77
Newly Registered

Post by ocean77 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:05 pm

thanks for the responses

I cant go to the college as currently i am in UK.. I had contacted the alumni service and they said they can get me the letter from the registrar, I guess i will ask them to put some stuff on change of name.. hope it works out well...

I know that IELTS is the easiet option. feeling lazy about giving an exam so want to keep that as a last resort...

Overall, this rule does not make sense for extensions.. I am working in uk for past 6 months. My profession requires good communication skills and my company would not have hired me if i did not have them... I get paid well, i am not taking any benefits.. but thats not sufficient for the HO... out of the blue, they want proof now that i can speak english...

It is ridiculous to use the same rules for new applications and extensions.. but then who can make HO understand that!!!

Rich ZA

Post by Rich ZA » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 pm

My university went through a similar when it amalgamated with another institution.

The head of academic affairs wrote me a letter specifically outlining the situation, with clear reference to the old and new names, which seemed to meet the requirements.

krishna.sukasi

Post by krishna.sukasi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:32 am

Hi All,

I have a similar problem

My University Name was "Nagarjuna University" and all my provision, academic certificates are with the same name.

But now it has been renamed as "Acharya Nagarjuna University" and since I got the English Medium certificate recently, the certificate has the new name.

Now here are my two queries:

1. Since the Uni name on Medium Certificate and the provisional/Academic certificates is conflicting, will there be any impact?

2. In the self-assesment tool, both the university names are listed
as

Nagarjuna University(to 2004)
Acharya Nagarjuna University.

Which one would I be selected. Can the Senior members clarify these

Thanks in advance