ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 1 PSW to Tier 4 Dependant

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

asiyaislam
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 1 PSW to Tier 4 Dependant

Post by asiyaislam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:17 pm

Hello,

I'm currently in the UK on Post-study work visa. It runs out in January 2013. My boyfriend is coming to the UK this September for a Masters degree course (1 year) and I would like to stay with him for that year. I have explored other options (Tier 2 etc.) but probably the best way for me to stay here until September 2013 is as my boyfriend's dependant. I am confused about switching from one category to another. Does anyone know -

a) If I can apply separately from inside the UK if my boyfriend applies from outside the UK?
b) If I can work full time while here as his dependant?

Thank you!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:21 pm

A) No, you have to apply outside the UK. Furthermore, is the course level 7 with HEI?
B) Yes but not as a doctor or dentist in training

asiyaislam
Newly Registered

Post by asiyaislam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Thank you.
a) Does that mean that I could go back to my home country for say 15 days and apply with my boyfriend? Do note that my PSW visa will still be valid until Jan 2013.
b) Yes, Master's degrees are level 7 for HEIs. (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/educationan ... g_10039017)
Lucapooka wrote:A) No, you have to apply outside the UK. Furthermore, is the course level 7 with HEI?
B) Yes but not as a doctor or dentist in training

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:42 pm

I know that masters are level 7 but that does not mean that the actual college is a HEI. Have you confirmed that his particular education provider (where he will be studying his level 7 masters) is a HEI (as defined)?

You can apply with him or after him. Makes sense to apply after because if he is refused you will not have wasted time and money on your own application.

asiyaislam
Newly Registered

Post by asiyaislam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Yes, it's Goldsmiths College. So that should be fine. I am just worried that because my PSW visa will still be valid when I apply for dependent visa, they might refuse it saying I am using this route to extend my stay? What do you think?
Lucapooka wrote:I know that masters are level 7 but that does not mean that the actual college is a HEI. Have you confirmed that his particular education provider (where he will be studying his level 7 masters) is a HEI (as defined)?

You can apply with him or after him. Makes sense to apply after because if he is refused you will not have wasted time and money on your own application.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Well they would be right if they thought that but it's only relevant if your marriage is not genuine insofar that it's merely a ruse to get around the rules. Otherwise, if you intend to live with your partner, you can apply and expect the visa to be granted

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 pm

You can only apply as an unmarried partner if you have been in a cohabiting relationship for two years. Have you?