ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unemployed during wait for visa. Is there anything I can do?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

whythewait
Newly Registered

Unemployed during wait for visa. Is there anything I can do?

Post by whythewait » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello. I am writing to see if anyone has been in a similar situation or could offer some advice.

On February 1, I applied for a tier 2 visa (changing employers). I submitted my biometrics on February 23. My work contract with my old employer ended at the end of February. Since then, I have been unable to start work with my new employer because I am still waiting for my visa.

I've written to UKBA explaining my situation and asking them if they could give me an estimate of how much longer I might have to wait. I haven't received any response.

I am concerned with how long my visa is taking to process, both because of my financial situation and because it seems to be taking much longer than what is being reported in the timelines on this board. I thought my application would be straightforward. Does this delay mean that it is likely to be rejected?

ksadoc
- thin ice -

Re: Unemployed during wait for visa. Is there anything I can

Post by ksadoc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:00 pm

whythewait wrote:Hello. I am writing to see if anyone has been in a similar situation or could offer some advice.

On February 1, I applied for a tier 2 visa (changing employers). I submitted my biometrics on February 23. My work contract with my old employer ended at the end of February. Since then, I have been unable to start work with my new employer because I am still waiting for my visa.

I've written to UKBA explaining my situation and asking them if they could give me an estimate of how much longer I might have to wait. I haven't received any response.

I am concerned with how long my visa is taking to process, both because of my financial situation and because it seems to be taking much longer than what is being reported in the timelines on this board. I thought my application would be straightforward. Does this delay mean that it is likely to be rejected?
Hi,

I am in the same situation. finished employment in Jan. got a job offer in March. got CoS end March, applied end of March Tier 2 G, change of employment. Did Biometric in end April. No update until now. Called HO, they said it takes 4-14 weeks after Biometric enrollment!

i too am running out of funds as i am just paying rent and taxes since January 2012. spending all the savings. dont know what to do except wait...

sinha

Post by sinha » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi

My advise is if ur company HR writes letter keep follow up often it can work bit faster this helped me bit and it depends on what explantion is made

there is something employers sponsors hotline

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Unemployed during wait for visa. Is there anything I can

Post by manci » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm

whythewait wrote: on this board. I thought my application would be straightforward. Does this delay mean that it is likely to be rejected?
The delay does not mean that your application is likely to be rejected, it is simply that it hasn't reached a caseworker yet.

Note that once you have your approval letter, and your employer agrees, you could start working, see the Tier 2 policy guidance:

194. It is recommended that you do not commence employment until you have received your biometric residence permit (BRP). However, on the basis of your approval letter, if you and your sponsor agree to commence the employment before you have your BRP both you and your sponsor carry the risk of having no statutory excuse against a civil penalty if the BRP card is incorrect or withdrawn by us.

whythewait
Newly Registered

Post by whythewait » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. I wasn't aware that I would be able to begin work with just the approval letter (whenever I may finally get it).

I have a question about the advice below:
sinha wrote:Hi

My advise is if ur company HR writes letter keep follow up often it can work bit faster this helped me bit and it depends on what explantion is made

there is something employers sponsors hotline
Is this likely to be helpful? I asked my HR if they could do anything, and they said that they didn't think they could contact UKBA on my behalf. Should I apply more pressure?

johnjkjk

Post by johnjkjk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:39 pm

In the same boat. Savings being depleted. Nothing can be done. Best remain calm and keep yourself occupied.

IMHO, they should allow people in this situation the option to work without a salary during the interim period, with a view to be paid in arrears once the paperwork comes through. But then that would open the gate to abuse by being able to temporarily hire slave labour/illegal migrants.

It's always the hard working legal migrants that are affected.

yaojiximalong
Newly Registered

Post by yaojiximalong » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:55 pm

I suggest that you ask your HR to push through UKBA for processing your visa....

Good luck.